Mealhada is a city of 20,000 people (2011) in Bairrada, an agro-viticulture zone of central Portugal.
Mealhada (/mi.ɐˈʎaðɐ/, mee-uh-LYAH-thuh)
Bairrada, situated between the urban centres of Agueda, Aveiro and Coimbra, stretches 40 km from north to south. The region mainly comprises vineyards and contains the municipalities of Anadia, Cantanhede, Mealhada and Oliveira do Bairro. From east to west the region runs from the base of the Caramulo and Bucaco mountains to the sands of the Atlantic.
The area of Bairrada is 108,000 ha. Vineyards occupy around 15,000 ha. In the 1970s, this corresponded to 37% of the volume of the total agricultural production in the central region.
A1 motorway exit: Mealhada.
Trains between Aveiro & Coimbra.
The principal stations in the area are: Linha do Norte: Pampilhosa, Mealhada, Mogofores, O.Bairro, Oia, Paraimo/Sangalhos, Curia, Aguim.
Linha da Beira Alta: Pampilhosa, Luso/Bussaco, Quinta do Valongo/Vacarica, Trezoi.
Ramal da Figueira/Cantanhede: Pampilhosa, Mala.
- 1 Miradouro da Cruz Alta, Luso. Viewpoint at the highest point of Serra do Buçaco at 547 m (1,795 ft). There's a tall cross in dense wooded forest.
- 2 Parque da Cidade de Mealhada (Mealhada's City Park). 14 hectares (35 acres) for leisure-time enjoyment, including sports and recreation. There's an Environmental Interpretation Center to inform about ecological issues.
Carnaval da Bairrada/Mealhada
- 1 Rei dos Leitões, Av. Restauração 17 (N1 road), ☏ . €40.
- 2 Restaurante Pedro dos Leitões, Rua Álvaro Pedro 1 (N1 road), ☏ . €40.
Regional spumantes (wines/vinho espumante da Bairrada).
- 1 Bussaco Palace Hotel, Mata do Buçaco, Luso, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Five-star, 64-room hotel in an old royal palace. There is an onsite restaurant, Mesa Real. €92-148.
Coimbra, a university town with several monuments, city museums, parks.
- Aveiro, the Venice of Portugal, a city with canals.
- Beaches: Mira, Figueira da Foz, Serras do Bucaco & Caramulo..
- The bucolic town of Luso, the villages of Bucaco (Bussaco Palace hotel), Forest/Mata do Bussaco, Cruz Alta.
Also: Curia (spa/garden and lagoon).
- Aveiro/Barra/Costa Nova/Ilhavo (Vista Alegre/ceramics)/Ria de Aveiro/Sao Jacinto peninsula.
- Coimbra, hub city, university & other monuments in the capital of central Portugal.
- Mira/Praia de Mira (beach).
- Agueda/Fermentelos (lagoon).
- Figueira da Foz, a panoramic city at the mouth of Mongedo; beach/Costa de Prata, casino.
- Porto, monumental city (cidade Invicta), capital of Norte.
- Viseu, historic city,museum.
- Penacova, a town by the Mondego river.
- Lousa, a lovely mountain town.
- Pinhel, castle and Coa valley.
- Guarda, cathedral/Se and Serra da Estrela.
- Tomar, Templar city.
- Leiria, castle and Pinhal de Leiria(pinewood).
- Espinho, beach casino/Costa Verde.
|Routes through Mealhada|
|Porto ← Aveiro ←||N S||→ Coimbra|