Bairrada is in Portugal. It is an agro-viticulture zone in centre Portugal, mostly in the meridional part of the Aveiro district.
Bairrada, situated between the urban centers of Agueda,Aveiro and Coimbra, stretches itself along 40km from North to South. This region is mainly constituted by vineyards of circumscriptions of Anadia, Cantanhede, Mealhada and Oliveira do Bairro. From East to West it starts in the base of Caramulo and Bucaco mountains and goes until the Littoral sands of the Atlantic.
The area of Bairrada is 108,000 ha. corresponding approximately of the cities/municipalities of Anadia, Cantanhede, Mealhada and Oliveira do Bairro,in the central region of Portugal. It presents a concentration of soils with agricultural potentialities (47%) much of the standard soils of the central region (19%). The vine occupies around 15,000 ha. In the seventies, this corresponded to 37% of the volume of the total agricultural production in the central region.
Drive (A1). or train(principal stations Linha do Norte @ Pampilhosa, Mealhada, Mogofores,O.Bairro,Oia,Paraimo/Sangalhos,Curia,Aguim). Linha da Beira Alta :Pampilhosa,Luso/Bussaco,Quinta do Valongo/Vacarica,Trezoi. Ramal da Figueira/Cantanhede:Pampilhosa,Mala.
The bucolic town of Luso, the villages of Bucaco (Bussaco Palace hotel),Forest/Mata do Bussaco,Cruz Alta. Also: Curia(spa/garden and lagoon).
Carnaval da Bairrada/Mealhada
Regional spumantes (wines/vinho espumante da Bairrada).
Aveiro, a city north of Bairrada, Coimbra, to the south, Figueira da Foz, to the southwest. Note:these 3 cities are actually not in Bairrada, but close by.
- Aveiro / Barra /Costa Nova /Ilhavo(Vista Alegre/ceramics) / Ria de Aveiro /Sao Jacinto peninsula.
- Coimbra ,Hub city,University & other monuments in the Capital of central Portugal.
- Mira / Praia de Mira (beach).
- Agueda / Fermentelos (lagoon).
- Figueira da Foz ,a panoramic city at the mouth of Mongedo;beach/Costa de Prata,casino.
- Porto ,monumental city [cidade Invicta],capital of Norte.
- Viseu ,historic city,museum.
- Penacova a town by the Mondego river.
- Lousa ,a lovely mountain town.