Batalha (buh-TAH-lyuh, /bɐ.ˈta.ʎɐ/) municipality has 15,553 residents (2021 preliminary).
In 1385, the Aljubarrota battle would end the ongoing war for Portugal's crown in favour of Portuguese born Mestre de Avis, soon to be D. João I. In appreciation to the Virgin Mary having answered his prayers, the winner had a monastery erected near the location of the battle. The settlement that was created to support the building of the monastery developed into the current town of Batalha.
Batalha is served by the A19 motorway (Variante da Batalha) which connects it to A8 (Autoestrada do Oeste) and IC9, as well as with minor roads.
Batalha is along the EN1 road (Estrada Lisboa-Porto), now also designated as IC2.
- GiraBatalha, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited midday city-centre bus service. Single journey: €1, 24-hr ticket: €3.
- 1 Mosteiro da Batalha (Batalha Monastery, Mosteiro de Santa Maria da Vitória, Monastery of Saint Mary of the Victory), Largo Infante Dom Henrique. 16 Oct–31 Mar: 09:00–18:00 (last admission 17:30), 1 Apr–15 Oct 09:00–18:30 (last admission 18:00), closed 1 Jan, Easter, 1 May, 25 Dec. UNESCO World Heritage Site. Medieval Late Flamboyant Gothic and Manueline-style church, built to commemorate the Portuguese victory against Castile (now Spain) in the 1385 Battle of Aljubarrota. It serves as the final resting place of the royal house of Aviz. General admission €6.00, discounts available.
- 2 Museu da Comunidade Concelhia da Batalha (Museum of Batalha), Largo Goa, Damão e Diu 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W–Su 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–18:00, closed M Tu. History of the municipality and its people going back 250 million years. Topics include geology and paleontology. General admission: €2.50; ages 7–12, students, seniors, "inclusive": €1.80; age 0–6: free.
- 3 Grutas da Moeda, Largo das Grutas da Moeda, São Mamede, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 16 Oct–15 Mar: 10:00–17:00, 16 Mar–15 Jul: 10:00–18:00, 16 Jul–15 Sep: 10:00–19:00, 16 Sep–15 Oct: 10:00–18:00. Limestone caverns, 350 m (1,150 ft) long at a depth of 45 m (148 ft).
- 4 Ponte da Boutaca. A neo-Gothic bridge built in 1862.
- 1 Euroindy, Estrada de D. Maria I 783, Zona Industrial, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–19:00 (1 Sep–15 Jul: closed M). Karting. Offers several models of karts with various horsepower, including mini and junior carts for kids as young as 6. Lessons available. 15 min: €15-30, 30 min: €25-50.
The farmers market takes place every Monday morning, 07:00 to 13:00, near the swimming pool.
- 1 Mosteiro do Leitão, IC2 (N1) 38, Casal da Amieira, ☏ . Daily 12:00–15:00 & 19:30–22:00. Featuring roasted suckling pig. Mid-range.
- 1 Casa do Outeiro, Largo Carvalho do Outeiro 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. This three-star, 23 room lodging refers to itself as an "arts and crafts hotel". The property features two swimming pools, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, and free parking. Some rooms offer views of the monastery. €44-81.