The 1 station of Aarau lies on major train lines and is thus easily accessible. Direct trains connect to Zurich (25 minutes main station, 45 minutes airport), Basel (35 minutes) and Berne (40 minutes).
Aarau lies on the A1 highway and is accessible from either exit Aarau Ost when coming from Zurich or Aarau West when coming from Berne or Basel.
The best way to get around is by bus and train. Get a zone dayfare to which is valid for all bus and trains in this zone.
See and do
The old town is nice to stroll around. A special feature are the around 70 painted roofs along the city centre.
- 1 Stadtmuseum Aarau, Schlossplatz 23, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu W F 11:00-18:00, Th 11:00-20:00, Sa Su 11:00-17:00. This museum in a castle tower tells the story of 100 people from Aarau over the centuries. It also houses temporary exhibitions. Fr. 8/5.
- Meyersche Stollen (IG Meyersche Stollen; Postfach 3367; 5001 Aarau), ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Visitor centre Frey chocolate, Bresteneggstrasse 4, Buchs AG (Bus 1 from Aarau station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 10:00–17:00. While Frey chocolate is not as known as other chocolate brands abroad, it is very popular in Switzerland, due to the fact that it is sold at the Migros supermarket chain. The exhibition at the factory shows how chocolate is made. There is also a chocolate tasting included in the visit. Fr. 12/6.
Chocolate formed like Swiss army knives (Mercur).
- small rolls from Mayer bakery
- delicious chocolate, can be found everywhere.
- Try the Chinese restaurant near the tourist office (they come from Hong Kong)
- Mercur chocolate also sells small cups of good expensive ice cream (green tea ice cream, too)
- 1 Pizza Hüsli, Bahnhofstr. 92, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Try hot white chocolate from Caolina (for example at a café near the theatre) or the famous Swiss "Ovomaltine" (hot or cold, similar to cocoa).
Migros supermarkets do never sell alcohol, but you can get Beck's beer at coop markets (Igelwaid)
- Cardinal beer tastes light, there is also an Irish pub for Guinness lovers
- Boiler Club is a small under ground club in the middle of the Altstadt on Rathausgasse. The music is different every time you visit and is guaranteed to make you dance. Try the local Boxer Beir or the Tequilla shots with a slice of Orange and Cinnamon powder.
- 1 Aarau-West, Muhenstrasse 58, Oberentfelden-Aarau, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 3-star business hotel 3 km away from the train station Aarau. Very quiet area with on-site golf course and tennis courts. Fr. 131/198 single/double.
- 2 Aarauerhof, Bahnhofstrasse 68, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. At the Aarau train station in the city centre. 3-star hotel with modern business and meeting facilities. Fr. 145.