Aarau can be reached easily by train from Basel and Zurich, where the closest airports are located. It takes about an hour to get here. There is also a direct highway from these two cities.
The best way to get around is by bus and train. Get a zone dayfare to which is valid for all bus and trains in this zone.
chocolate formed like Swiss army knives (Mercur)
small rolls from Mayer bakery delicious chocolate, can be found everywhere. There is even a factory (Frey) to be visited near Aarau (Buchs) Try the Chinese restaurant near the tourist office (they come from Hong Kong) Mercur chocolate also sells small cups of good expensive ice cream (green tea ice cream, too)
- Try hot white chocolate from Caolina (for example at a café near the theatre) or the famous Swiss "Ovomaltine" (hot or cold, similar to cocoa).
Migros supermarkets do never sell alcohol, but you can get Beck´s beer at coop markets (Igelwaid)
- Cardinal beer tastes light, there is also an Irish pub for Guinness lovers
- Boiler Club Is a small under ground club in the middle of the Altstadt on Rathausgasse. The music is different every time you visit and is guaranteed to make you dance. Try the local Boxer Beir or the Tequilla shots with a slice of Orange and Cinnamon powder.
- Aarau-West, Muhenstrasse 58, CH-5036, fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. New three star business hotel located 3 kilometers away from the train station Aarau. Very quiet area with onsite golf course and tennis courts. Double room for single use from 160CHF Double room from 210CHF (low season 2009).
- Aarauerhof, Bahnhofstrasse 68, CH-5001, fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Located at the Aarau train station directly in the city center. Three star hotel with modern business and meeting facilities. Single room from 140CHF Double room from 210CHF (rates from January 2009).