- 1 Abakan International Airport (ABA IATA), Ulitsa Druzhby Narodov, д. 59, ☏ . Domestic airport with flights to and from Moscow as well as nearby cities in Siberia.
|Krasair||Krasnojarsk Airport||Tupolev Tu-154|
|SIAT||Noril'sk Airport||Tupolev Tu-134, Tu-154|
The principal rail route is from Moscow with the fast Sayany train, journey time is 75 hours. The train departs Moskva Yaroslavsky station at 10:55PM and arrives 6PM three nights later. The train makes stop-overs in Yekaterinburg (45 h), Omsk (31 h) and Novosibirsk (22 h) along its way. Take care as the train does not start daily.
You may come from Kyzyl by bus. There are several buses daily, and two stops in Abakan: one is at the railway station and the other is at the bus station.
There is a reliable bus system and locals may help you with the directions. You may use it to go from the train station to the Holy transfiguration Cathedral. Remember to have pictures to show, because almost no one will speak Russian.
There are also taxis available.
- Holy Transfiguration Cathedral. Free.
- Good Angel of Peace sculpture. Free.
- Park of Topiary Art. Do not miss also the nearby heartlock artwork: a big metallic heart where lovers can append their little lovelock. Free.
- Sitting Lenin Statue. Near the railway station, there is a sitting Lenin all painted in a metallic color. Free.
You can walk around but there isn't so much to see. Remember not to miss your onward connection, as Abakan is not served so often by onward transport, especially train.
There are some supermarkets with fresh fruits.