Abbots Langley is a large village and civil parish in the English county of Hertfordshire.
The only Englishman ever to have become pope, Pope Adrian IV, was born here as Nicholas Breakspear around the year 1100.
From the M25, take junction 20 (Hemel Hempstead, Aylesbury, Watford A41), then take the A4251 to Kings Langley (this exit is also on the A41), at the roundabout go right (2nd exit, Home Park Mill Link Road), at the T junction go right (Station Road), you will go past Kings Langley train station on the left. After you go under the tunnel take the 2nd left down Gallows Hill Lane, follow this road until you get to the village centre.
Trains from London Euston to Tring stop at Kings Langley station. They run every 30 minutes during the day. Journey time from London is usually 25–30 minutes.
The Arriva bus service 500 goes though Aylesbury - Tring - Berkhamsted - Hemel Hempstead - Kings Langley - Watford. The closest stop to Abbots Langley is between Kings Langley and Watford and is near Langlebury Lane and Bridge Road on the A41 (Watford Road).
Getting around by bus is best done on the Arriva bus service 8 which goes past most of the places in Abbots Langley (Have a look at this map). The service starts near South Way Play Area (The grey '2' on the map), goes through Watford then South Oxhey and ends in Northwood.
You could also get around by taxi:
- 1 Leavesden Country Park, WD5 0GN. 27 hectares of walking/biking paths, tennis courts, a football pitch, wildlife areas, children’s play area and an outdoor gym for adults
- 2 Manor House Grounds, Gallows Hill Lane, WD5 0BX.
Due to Abbots Langley being primarily a residential area, there isn't a lot to do activity wise, however there are a couple of playgrounds and sports fields for public use.
- 1 Manor House Grounds Play Area, Gallows Hill Lane, WD5 0BX. This playground has swings and a helter skelter slide.
- 2 South Way Play Area, South Way, WD5 0JL. Opened in August 2012, the playground has climbing trees, a zip wire, embankment slide, toddler swings, rotator bounce, basket swings, a dish roundabout, trampoline, climbing net and a picnic area.
- 1 Abbots Supermarket.
- 2 Budgens, 57 High St, WD5 0AE, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 9AM-6PM.
- 3 Martin's, 22/26 High St, WD5 0AA, ☏ . M-F 5:30AM-6:30PM, Sa 6AM-6:30PM, Su 6AM-2PM.
- 4 Sherwood News, 1 College Rd, WD5 0NS, ☏ . M-Sa 6AM-10PM, Su 6AM-9PM.
- 5 Spar, 28 School Mead, WD5 0LA, ☏ . Daily 7AM-11PM.
- 6 Tesco Express, 11 Katherine Place, WD5 0BT, ☏ . Daily 6AM-11PM.
With 4 Indian restaurants and a takeaway, 4 Chinese takeaways and a restaurant, an Asian restaurant, 2 cafés, 3 fish and chip shops and a pizza place, eating out is not a problem in Abbots Langley! Most of the places to eat are spread along the high street with some around a kilometre away on School Mead road and a couple the same distance away in Katherine Place.
- 1 Abbots Tandoori, High St, WD5 0AB, ☏ , . Indian restaurant.
- 2 Deli-Licious, 1 Langley Parade, High St, WD5 0AD. M Tu 9AM-4PM, W 9AM-3PM, Th-F 9AM-4PM, Sa 9AM-3PM. Sandwich and coffee shop.
- 3 Dolphin Fish Bar, 4 Langley Rd, WD5 0AB. Fish and chip shop.
- 4 Forest of India, 39-41 High St, WD5 0AA, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Daily noon-2:30PM, 6-11:30PM. Indian restaurant.
- 5 Full Moon, 76 High St, WD5 0AW, ☏ . M 5-11PM; Tu-Sa 11:30AM-2PM, 5-11PM; Su 2:30-10PM. Chinese and Thai takeaway.
- 6 Peony Gardens, 43 High St, WD5 0AA, ☏ . Su-Th 5-11PM; F Sa noon-2PM, 5-11PM. Chinese takeaway.
- 7 Pin Wei, 35 High St, WD5 0AA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa noon-2:30PM, 5:30-11PM; Su noon-10:30PM. Chinese restaurant.
- 8 Village Cafe, 32 High St, WD5 0AR. Cafe.
- 9 Village Tandoori, 12 High St, WD5 0AR. Indian takeaway.
- 10 Domino's Pizza, 21 School Mead, WD5 0LA, ☏ . Daily 11AM-10:45PM. Pizza takeaway.
- 11 New Beijing, 19 School Mead, WD5 0LA. Chinese takeaway.
- 12 Night of Bengal, 20 School Mead, WD5 0LA. Indian restaurant and takeaway.
- 13 The Lighthouse, 18 School Mead, WD5 0LA, ☏ , . M 4-11PM; Tu W 11:30AM-2:30PM, 3:30-11PM; Th-Sa 11:30AM-11PM; Su 4-10:30PM. Fish and chip shop.
- 14 Aroma Kitchen, 1 Katherine Place, WD5 0BT, ☏ , . M-Th noon-2:30PM, 5:30-11PM; F Sa noon-2:30PM, 5:30-11:30PM; Su 12:00-11PM. Asian cuisine restaurant and takeaway, they also deliver.
- 15 Barkers Fish 'n' Chips, 4 Katherine Place, WD5 0BT, ☏ . M-Th noon-2PM, 4:30-9PM; F noon-2PM, 4:30-9:15PM; Sa noon-9PM. Fish and chip shop.
- 1 The Boys Home. Traditional pub.
- 2 The Compasses, 95 Tibbs Hill Rd, WD5 0LJ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th noon-11PM, F Sa noon-midnight, Su noon-11PM.
- 3 The Royal Oak, Kitters Green, WD5 0ET, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-10:30PM.
- 4 The Swan, College Rd, WD5 0NR, ☏ .
There isn't anywhere to stay in Abbots Langley unless you are looking for something more permanent. There are lots of places a few miles outside, however (have a look at Go next for some ideas).
- 2 Abbey Pharmacy, 45 High St, WD5 0AA, ☏ . M-F 9AM-7PM, Sa 9AM-4:30PM.
- 3 Abbots Langley Pharmacy, 78 High St, WD5 0AW, ☏ . M-F 8AM-midnight, Sa 9AM-11PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 4 Boots, 61 High St, WD5 0AE, ☏ . M-Sa 9:30AM-5:30PM.
- 5 Leavesden Vantage Pharmacy, 14 Katherine Place, WD5 0BT, ☏ .
- 6 Police, Manor Lodge, High St, WD5 0AP. In an emergency, always dial 999. For non-emergencies dial 101. @AbbotsPolice on Twitter.
- 7 Library, High St, WD5 0AP, ☏ . M 2-6PM, Tu 9AM-6PM, Th 2-6PM, F 9AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-1PM. Has computers with internet access and free Wi-Fi.
- 8 Post Office, 42 High St, WD5 0AR. M Tu 9AM-5:30PM, W 9AM-1PM, Th F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-12:30PM.
- Abbots Langley is closely linked to Hunton Bridge in Kings Langley which has two places to stay.
- Leavesden in Watford is home to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour where you can look around the studios where the Harry Potter series was made. Watford also has a park and leisure centre.
- Hemel Hempstead, one of the post-war "new towns" has a picture perfect parish church and old town high street.
- Berkhamsted still has the motte and bailey where the keys to the kingdom were given to William the Bastard.
|Routes through Abbots Langley|
|Birkenhead ← Kings Langley ←||NW SE||→ Watford → London|