Walking and cycling are both popular ways for exploring nearby hinterland. There has been substantial investment in a cycle route network
Aylesbury is a fairly small town with some parts of the centre being pedestrianised, thus making it an ideal place to walk around.
Local and county wide bus service operated by Arriva Bus
- Aylesbury Vale, beautiful winding hills around the town
- John Hampden statue. local lad turned great Parliamentarian leader during the English Civil War
- Buckinghamshire County Museum.
- Market Square
- Roald Dahl Children's Gallery, Church Street.
- St Tiggywinkles, Aston Road, Haddenham, HP17 8AF. an animal welfare hospital
- 1 Waddesdon Manor, Waddesdon, near Aylesbury, HP18 0JH (6 miles west of Aylesbury), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit Butler's Cross on a sunny day to see a view of the town from a hill.
Grand Union Canal - hire a narrowboat for a day or two to cruise.
Take in a play at the beautiful Waterside Theatre, opened in 2010.
- Friars' Club. famous venue for music, bands like The Clash and Jimmy Hendrix. Also appeared in A Clockwork Orange.
A historic market town, Aylesbury has a daily market in the town centre. Products include fruit, vegetables, clothes, horticulture and media. Every so often on the weekend a French Market operates, bringing with it cheeses, bread and various other French delicacies.
Restaurants are dotted around the town centre, ranging from fast food to à la carte styles.
The main late night venue's are situated around the cinema area, and also Kingsbury Square.
Aylesbury also has a number of excellent pubs selling locally brewed beer including
- The Hop Pole, 83 Bicester Rd.
- The Farmers bar (at the Kings Head).
- King's Head Inn. a 13th Century pub/estate
In the town centre there are a selection of small bed and breakfast, or pub hotels.
- The Bell Inn.
A bit further out
Self-catering apartments in Aylesbury are now becoming popular alternatives to hotel stays. There are thousands of self-catering apartments available throughout the city centre and outskirts - providing accommodation for up to 8 people at a time, for stays of anything from one night to 1 year.