Great Missenden is a village in Buckinghamshire, England. Its environs include the separate, nearby settlements of Prestwood, South Heath and Ballinger.
Great Missenden and its environs are mentioned in the Domesday Book. Missenden Abbey (founded in 1133) was a major local influence until the dissolution.
In 2011, The Guardian described Great Missenden as having been "prime stockbroker belt for over a century". The Daily Telegraph put Great Missenden on its "List of Britain's richest villages" and ranked it highly in its "Best Places to Raise a Family in the UK" in 2015.
Claims to fame:
- Used extensively for location shoots for the British TV detective series Midsomer Murders.
- The Gateway School, one of the leading preparatory schools in the South East.
- Home of author Roald Dahl for 36 years until his death in 1990.
There are 2 small "pay and display" parking facilites off Link Road.
1 Great Missenden Railway Station, Station Approach, Great Missenden, HP16 9AZ. Located centrally in the village, it is served by mainline services between London Marylebone and Aylesbury. Station managed by and services are operated by Chiltern Railways.
- Arriva Bus Service 48 runs Lane End to Great Missenden.
- Red Line Buses Service 55 runs Aylesbury - Wendover - Great Missenden - Amersham - Chesham.
- 2 National Cycle Route 57. Passes through the town. Cycle route runs Farmington, Gloucestershire near Northleach to Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire
- The Chiltern Cycleway. A 170-mile circular cycle trial running through Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire, runs through the town.
Being a small village, most of Great Missenden can be reached on foot. However, some locations are further out.
The main commercial centre in Missenden is on the High Street.
- 1 The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre, 81-83 High Street, Great Missenden, Bucks. HP16 0AL, ☎ . Tu-Su 11AM-5PM. A small museum and interactive exhibits inspired by the life and works of children's author Roald Dahl (who lived near Great Missenden). Adults £6.60, children £4.40, under 5's free.
- 2 River Misbourne. A chalk steam which runs alongside the town.
- 3 The Malt Brewery Tours, Collings Hanger Farm, Wycombe Rd, Prestwood Great Missenden HP16 0HW (2½ miles W of Great Missenden), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 4th Sa of month 3PM. £15/person.
- 4 St Peter & St Paul Church, Church Lane, Great Missenden HP16 0BA.
Great Missenden is in the heart of the Chilterns and so is the starting point for a number of brisk local walks, of varying difficulty.
- [dead link] Chiltern Heritage Trail Hampden Route (25-mile Circular Cycle Route).
- 1 Missenden Abbey. Country house on the site of the original abbey, now a conference, wedding and event location.
- Chiltern Steam Rally: 7–8 July 2018, ☎ . A small steam rally held in nearby Prestwood, featuring working traction engines. On-site catering provided. £6 adult; £1 child. (date needs updating)
The main commercial centre in Missenden is on the High Street, whereas that in nearby Prestwood is centered on the modern precinct adjoining Wycombe Road in that village's centre.
- 1 The Malt Brewery Shop, Collings Hanger Farm, Wycombe Rd, Prestwood Great Missenden HP16 0HW (2½ miles W of Great Missenden), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-W 10AM-5:30PM, Th F 10AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-5:30PM. Brewery shop, and tasting (ends at 6PM Th & F)
- 2 Co-op, Station Approach, Great Missenden HP16 9AZ, ☎ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Convenience Store
- St Andrews's Bookshop (Christian Bookstore), 61/65 High Street , Great Misssenden, ☎ . Small Christian bookstore, carrying books, cards and recordings.
- 3 Sainsbury's, 9-11 Wycombe Rd, Prestwood HP16 0NZ (2 miles W of Great Missenden), ☎ . Daily 7AM-10PM. Convenience store.
- A farmers market is held at the garden centre in Prestwood, on Friday mornings 8AM-1PM.
- 1 Sukhotthai, 50 High St, Great Missenden HP16 0AU. Daily noon-2:30PM & 6-11PM. Thai restaurant & take-away.
- 2 Cream Teas at the Church of St Peter and St Paul, ☎ . Small scale cream teas, offered 3-5PM Sunday afternoon May-Sept. Live music sometimes accompanies.
- 3 La Petite Auberge, 107 High St, Great Missenden HP16 0BB, ☎ . Tu-Sa 7-10PM. Traditional French restaurant.
- 4 The Polecat Inn, 170 Wycombe Rd, Prestwood HP16 0HJ (3 miles (by road) W of Great Missenden), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Oct-Mar: M-F 11:30AM-3PM & 6-11PM, Sa all day (food to 9PM), Su noon-6PM (food to 3PM); Apr-Sept: M-Sa 11:30AM-11PM (food to 9PM), Su noon-6PM (food to 3PM). Restaurant & Hotel
- 1 The Cross Keys, 40 High St, Great Missenden HP16 0AU, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Pub: M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-10:30PM; Food: M-Th noon-3PM & 6:30-9:30PM, F noon-4PM & 6-9:30PM, Sa noon-9:30PM, Su noon-5PM. Pub & Food
- 2 Origins Wine Bar, 57 High St, Great Missenden HP16 0AL, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Wine bar & tapas restaurant.
- 3 The Black Horse, Aylesbury Rd, Great Missenden HP16 9AX, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Food: M noon-2PM, Tu-F noon-2:30PM & 6-9PM, Sa noon-3PM & 6-9PM, Su noon-12:30PM & 2-2:30PM. Pub & Food
- 1 Nags Head, London Rd, Great Missenden HP16 0DG, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bar: M-Th 8AM-11PM, F Sa 8AM-midnight, Su 8AM-10:30PM; Food: M-Sa 8AM-10AM & noon-2:40PM & 6:30-9:30PM, Su 8AM-10AM & noon-7PM. AA 4* < Restaurant & Hotel Double from £100/night.
- 2 The Forge House, 10 Church St, Great Missenden HP16 0AX, ☎ . Bed and Breakfast.
- 3 [dead link] The Garden Cottages, Umhlanga, Hampden Rd, Great Missenden HP16 0JA (3½ miles (by road) from Great Missenden), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Bed and Breakfast. Single from £60/night, Double from £75/night.
- 1 Post Office, 35 Station Approach, Great Missenden HP16 9AZ. M-Sa 6AM-6PM, Su 6AM-2PM.
- Amersham 6 miles to SE
- High Wycombe 7 miles to SW
- Aylesbury 10 miles to NNW
- Wendover 5 miles to NNW
- Tring 10 miles (by road) to NNE
- Chesham 5½ miles to E
- Berkhamsted 10 miles to NE