Amersham is in Buckinghamshire, England. Home to 17,000 inhabitants, it is the heart of "Metro-land", where London suburbs meet the Chiltern Hills, a place where some of the best walks in the British countryside are located. Metro-land takes its name from the Metropolitan line of the London Underground, which facilitated the area's development.
A dual centred locale, Amersham is split between the historic Old Amersham (at the bottom of the hill), and the current commercial centre (and residental suburbs) of Amersham-on-the-hill at the top.
Amersham is not an obvious tourist destination, as the town does not seem to have much to see or do in it at first glance. However there are some great parks, such as Hervines Park round the back of the Dr Challoners Grammar School which has a wood and also there is a park behind the gym/swimming pool building. Old Amersham is home to a fantastic church and traditional clothes stores as well as old-fashioned streets. It is also home to the great Amersham Museum, a must-see for visitors to the area.
Old Amersham is a former medieval market town, although settlement pre-dates the Norman conquest. It has held a market since the original 11th century charter, which was revised in the early 1600s to allow for a fair to be held in September . The 16th century also saw Lolllard dissenters condemned and suffer death in the town. A memorial was built in 1931.
Amersham was a transit point for goods travelling between London and the north during the 1800s.
Amersham-on-the-hill was Amersham Common, until the arrival of the railway in the 1890s, with the commercial center of the town shifting to it by the mid 20th century. Dr Challoners Grammer School, originally a 16th foundation relocating from Old Amersham in 1905.
Since the 1960s Amersham has rapidly been growing into a charming little town on the outskirts of London.
Amersham is well connected to motorways around London which branch off to Amersham via the nearby towns of Beaconsfield (M40), Chorleywood (M25) and Hemel Hempsted (M1).
- 1 Train Station, Station Approach, HP6 5AZ. Amersham station is on the Metropolitan line of the London Underground, which runs services to Aldgate via several central London stations including Baker Street and King's Cross St. Pancras. The station is also on the National Rail London to Aylesbury line with services operated by Chiltern Railways. These services terminate at London Marylebone station, which is on the London Underground Bakerloo line.
- National Cycle Route 57 (Farmington, Gloucestershire near Northleach to Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire) runs through Chesham 3 miles N of Amersham.
- There is a good network of Regional Cycle Routes (e.g. 3 and 30) and Local Cycle Routes around the town connecting the town to Cycle Route 6 (London to Lake District) 9 miles SW of Amersham.
The town is small enough to get around on foot.
- 1 St Mary's Church, Church St, Old Amersham HP7 0DB.
- 2 Amersham Museum, 49 High St, Old Amersham HP7 0DP, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Su noon-4:30PM.
- 3 The Martyrs Memorial (Footpath from St. Mary's Church, or footpath (slightly over grown) from Station Rd.).
- 4 River Misbourne. A chalk steam which runs along the side of the Old Town
- Old Amersham's High Street with 16-19th century buildings and market square
- The Countryside, nearby woods include the woods behind 51 Copperkins Lane, the end of Deep Acres and Penn Woods
- Go walking, cycling or riding in the countryside
- 1 The Chiltern Pools & Gym, Bensheim Way, Chiltern Ave, Amersham HP6 5AH, ☎ . Centre (different activities have different hours) M-F 5:30AM-10PM; Sa 7AM-7:30PM; Su 7AM-7:30PM. Gym, studio, pools, climbing wall
- 2 Theatre on the Hill (Buckinghamshire College, Amersham Campus), toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. Professional-standard theatre at high school drama prices!
- Chiltern Heritage Trail Hampden Route. 25 mi (40 km) circular cycle route
- A touring fairground visits the old Amersham High Street in mid to late September. This is a modern continuation of a charter fair.
- 1 Old Amersham Market, Market Sq, Amersham HP7 0DG, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Oct-Mar: Sa 8AM-3:30PM; Apr-Sept: Sa 8AM-4PM. Saturday covered market.
- 2 Tesco, London Rd West, Amersham HP7 0HA, ☎ . M 6AM-midnight; Tu-Sa 24hr; Su 10AM-4PM. Supermarket, petrol & pharmacy (different hours); ATMs.
- 3 Little Waitrose, 46 Sycamore Rd, Amersham HP6 5DR, ☎ . M-Sa 7:30AM-9PM; Su 10AM-4PM. Convenience store.
- 4 M&S Simply Food, 38-40 Sycamore Rd, Amersham, HP6 5DR, ☎ . M-Sa 8AM-9PM; Su 10AM-4PM.
- 5 The Entertainer, 2 Sycamore Rd, Amersham HP6 5DR, ☎ (premium). M-Sa 9AM-5:30PM. Small, but well established and respected toy retailer.
- 6 Fox's at Mountain Warehouse, 1 London Road, Amersham, Bucks, HP7 OHE. M-Sa 9AM-6PM; Su 10AM-4PM. Outdoor leisure clothing, and equipment store.
- 1 Amersham Fish Bar, 11 Woodside Rd, Amersham HP6 6AA, ☎ . M-Sa 11:30AM-11PM; Su 11AM-11PM. Take-away.
- 2 Tom Yum, 101 Sycamore Rd, Amersham HP6 5EJ, ☎ . M-Th noon-3:30PM & 6PM-10PM; F Sa noon-3:30PM & 6PM-10:30PM; Su noon-3:30PM & 6PM-9PM. Thai restaurant.
- 3 Ask, 12 The Broadway, Old Amersham HP7 0HP, ☎ . M-Th 11AM-10PM; F-Sa 11AM-11PM; Su 11AM-10PM. Italian restaurant & take-away. Free Wi-Fi.
- Chalfont Oriental, which, despite its name, is in Amersham.
In nearby Little Chalfont there are two excellent Chinese takeaways/restaurants- Chalfont Dynasty, and Meng House.
- 1 The Pomeroy, 131 White Lion Rd, Little Chalfont HP7 9JY, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-F noon-11PM; Sa 9AM-11PM; Su 9AM-10:30PM. Pub & restaurant.
- 2 The White Lion, White Lion Rd, Little Chalfont HP7 9LJ, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub: M-Sa 11AM-11PM; Su noon-10:30PM. Food: M-Th noon-9PM; F Sa noon-9:30PM; Su noon-9PM. Pub & food.
- 3 The Eagle, 145 High St, Old Amersham HP7 0DY, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-W 12:00-11PM; Th-Sa noon-11:30PM; Su noon-10:30PM. Pub & food.
- 4 Elephant & Castle, 97 High St, Amersham HP7 0DT, ☎ . Pub: M-Th 11AM-11PM; F 11AM-midnight; Sa 10AM-midnight; Su 10AM-10:30PM. Food: M-F noon-10PM; Sa 11AM-10PM; Su 11AM-9:30PM. Pub & food.
- 1 Crown Hotel, 16 High St, Old Amersham HP7 0DH, ☎ . Has a restaurant.
- Many other hotels hidden away in Amersham
- 2 Cherry Tree (B&B), 51 Longfield Drive, Amersham HP6 5HE, ☎ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10:30AM. Single occupancy from £75; Double occupancy from £95.
- 3 The Ldge (B&B), Manor Barn, North Rd, Amersham HP6 5NA, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi. Single occupancy from £85; Double occupancy from £95.
- 4 St Catherines (B&B), 9 Parkfield Ave, Amersham HP6 6BE, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Min 2-night stay.
- 5 The Saracen’s Head Inn, 38 Whielden St, Amersham HP7 0HU, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel, Bar & Restaurant Single £79; Double/twin £99.
- 1 Post Office, 1 - 2 Sycamore Place, Hill Ave, Amersham HP6 5BG. M-Sa 8AM-6PM.
Nearby towns and large villages of interest include;
- Beaconsfield (pronounced beck-ons-fee-eld)
- Little Chalfont
- Chalfont St. Giles and Chalfont St.Peter
- High Wycombe
- Great Missenden
|Routes through Amersham|
|END ←||W E||→ Rickmansworth → Bloomsbury-Camden|