Chesham is a market town set at the convergence of several valleys in the Chiltern Hills. The nearest towns are Amersham and Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire. The River Chess rises just to the north of the town. Its history can be summed up by the phrase "the four Bs of Chesham: boots, beer, brushes and Baptists" which relates to the growing prosperity of the town in the 18th century and being a focus for religious dissent and nonconformity. The population has doubled to around 20,000 since the Second World War. Politically, control of the town has swung between the Conservative Party and the Liberal Democrats.
The A41 can be reached at Berkhamsted, which can be used to used to access London and Aylesbury. The M1 and M40 motorways are also within easy reach of Chesham.
Chesham is not served directly by the National Rail network, the nearest connections being Amersham (for services to Aylesbury), and Berkhamsted (for Birmingham). Passengers on the Chiltern Line (London Marylebone to Aylesbury) can change at Chalfont & Latimer for the Metropolitan line service to Chesham (see below).
- 1 Chesham Underground Station, Station Approach, HP5 1DH. Chesham is a terminus for the Metropolitan line, indeed it is the furthest extent of the Underground from central London, being 25 mi (40 km) from Charing Cross. Trains arrive from Baker Street every 15 minutes peak periods and 30 minutes off-peak. Train times for stations to London are available from Transport for London
- 1 National Cycle Route 57. (Farmington, Gloucestershire near Northleach to Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire) runs through the town.
By local bus
Arriva, Carousel Buses, Woottens and Redline provide local and connecting bus services. Timetables available via Carlberry.co.uk
- 1 St Mary's Church, Church St, Chesham HP5 1HY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The parish church for the town of Chesham, it has been on this site since at least 1153.
- 2 The Elgiva, St Mary's Way, Chesham HP5 1HR, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open daily subject to current programme of events. The Elgiva is a 300-seat theatre, with digital cinema facilities. It is owned and managed by Chesham Town Council. The Elgiva put on professional and amateur productions, comedy acts, musicals, ballet, dance, one-night shows, a pantomime, exhibitions, weddings and other public and private events.
- 3 Lowndes Park. A major historic feature of Chesham donated to the town in 1953 by the Lowndes family. It has 36 acres comprising parkland and recreational facilities including children's play areas, a multi-sports court, a skateboard park, the historic avenue (also a cycle route), public toilets and Skottowes pond. A series of free, open air concerts is staged in the bandstand area during July and August each year. The upper park provides views across the town, places to walk and habitats for local wildlife and a barrow an Ancient Scheduled Monument. Managed by Chiltern Town Council it is looked after by the Friends of Loundes Park.
- 1 Chesham Moor Swim and Gym, Moor Rd, Chesham HP5 1SE, ☏ . M-Th 6AM-9PM; F 6AM-8PM; Sa Su 8AM-6PM. There is an open air swimming pool. A multi court marked out for tennis, netball, 5-a-side football and basketball. A gym for exercise and fitness classes.
- 2 Chesham Library, Elgiva Lane, Chesham HP5 2JD, ☏ . M 9:30AM-7PM; Tu 9:30AM-5PM; W 9:30AM-1PM; Th 9:30AM-5PM; Sa 10AM-4PM.
The main retail areas is the pedestrianised High Street, The Broadway and Market Square, all close to the Underground Station. Other shops can be found along the Berkhamsted Road.
Chesham is a traditional Chilterns Market Town, with a market charter granted in 1257 by Henry III. There are three regular markets, and occasional continental markets during the year:
- General Market - every Wednesday & Saturday
- Local Produce Market - 4th Saturday of the month
- Street Market - 2nd Saturday of the month
- 1 Auberge du Chocolat (Chocolate Shop), Unit 28 Chess Business Park, Chesham HP5 1SD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Chocolate products and chocolate making workshops
- 2 [formerly dead link] Sainsbury, Elgiva Lane, Chesham HP5 2YA, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM; Su 10AM-4PM.
- 3 Waitrose, The Backs, Chesham, HP5 1DR, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-9PM; Sa 7:30AM-8PM; Su 10AM-4PM.
- 1 Rajasthan Restaurant, 115 High St, Chesham, HP5 1DE, ☏ . Daily noon-2PM & 5:30-11:30PM. Indian restaurant & take-away.
- 2 Chesham Tandoori, 48 Broad St, Chesham HP5 3DX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily noon-14:00 & 5:30-11:30PM. Indian restaurant & take-away.
- 3 The Queens Head Hotel, Church St, Old Chesham HP5 1JD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-W noon-11PM; Th F noon-midnight; Sa 11AM-00:00; Su 11AM-10:30PM.
- 4 Chesham Cottage, 20 Church St, Chesham HP5 1HU, ☏ . M 7:15-10PM; Tu-Su noon-2PM & 5:15-10PM. Chinese restaurant & takeaway.
- 5 Peri Peri, 20 Market Sq, Chesham HP5 1ES (3 miles N of Amersham), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-11PM. Pizza take-away.
- 1 The Drawing Room, Francis Yard, East St, Chesham HP5 1DG, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu 10AM-6PM; W-Sa 10AM-9PM; Su 10AM-5:30PM. "Art-food-music".
- 2 Brown Sugar, 74 The Broadway, High St, Chesham HP5 1EG, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-4:30PM; Su 8AM-3:30PM.
- 3 Rumbles Pantry, 6-8 Church St, Chesham HP5 1HT, ☏ . M 8:30AM-3:30PM; Tu 8:30AM-2:30PM; W-F 8:30AM-3:30PM; Sa 8:30AM-3PM. Sandwich & tea rooms.
- 4 Brazils, 17 Market Sq, Chesham HP5 1HG, ☏ . W-Sa 5:30-10PM.
- 5 [dead link] Caffe Nero, 66 The Broadway, High St, Chesham HP5 1BX, ☏ . M-F 6:45AM-6PM; Sa 7:30AM-5:30PM; Su 8AM-5:30PM.
- 6 Poppins Cafe, 3-3A High St, Chesham HP5 1BG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 7:30AM-6PM; Su 9AM-4PM.
- 7 Café Encore (@ The Elgiva), St. Marys Way, Chesham HP5 1HR, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-3PM.
- 8 Liri Cafe, 106 High St, Chesham HP5 1EB, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Italian restaurant.
- 9 Mad Squirrel, 8 Market Sq, Chesham HP5 1ES, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May-Sept: M-Th noon-9PM, F noon-9:30PM, Sa 10AM-9:30PM, Su noon-8PM; Oct-Apr: M-W noon-8PM, Th F noon-9PM, Sa 10AM-9PM, Su noon-8PM. Tap & bottle shop.
- 1 [dead link] Latimer Place, Latimer Place, Latimer, HP5 1UG, ☏ .
- 2 Chartridge Lodge, Chartridge Lane, Chesham HP5 2TU (3 miles NW of Chesham), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Chesham Bed & Breakfast, Park View, 1A Stanley Ave, Chesham HP5 2JF, ☏ . Single occupancy £90; Double occupancy £125.
- 2 Post Office, 93 High St, Chesham HP5 1DE. M-Sa 9AM-5:30PM.
- Nearby villages
- Ashley Green
|Routes through Chesham|
|END ←||W E||→ Rickmansworth → Bloomsbury-Camden|