A Market Town at the eastern end of the Chiltern Hills. Relics from Palæolithic times (e.g. flint implements) have been found in the area whilst a few miles to the W of the town is an Iron Age hill fort. The town lies on the historic important crossroads of Watling Street (now the A5183 through the town - the A5 until 2017) and the Icknield Way (Thetford in Norfolk to Ivinghoe Beacon near Tring.
A great town but mainly catering for the local area rather than tourism. Many visitors will be there to see Whipsnade Zoo (4 miles S of the town).
Dunstable has reasonable bus public transport links, but no railway station
Situated on the A5, Dunstable is easily reached from M1 junction 11 (from the north, about 10 min) or junction 9 and up the A5 (from the south, about 15 min).
Local bus services run frequency from Milton Keynes and Luton (X31 or 31). Luton is within a single ticket zone and costs £1.60 for a single trip. A day pass can be brought for £3 or a week pass for £8 (this doesn't cover transport to Milton Keynes).
Luton Airport is 8 miles E of the town.
The town is on the Icknield Way long-distance footpath running from Thetford, Norfolk (where it connects to the Peddars Way Path) to Ivinghoe Beacon near Tring (where it connects to the Ridgeway Path)
The town centre is easy to walk around. Bus services run frequently too.
- 1 Whipsnade Zoo, Dunstable LU6 2LF, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Open all year round, apart from Christmas Day. 600-acre site owned by the Zoological Society of London. It's great if you want a more local, personal experience than ZSL London Zoo. One of Europe's largest wildlife conservation parks, you will see the Cheetah Rock, meet the Lions of the Serengeti and watch the chimps swinging their stuff in their extensive indoor chimpnasium! There are also many unusual things to see such as beautiful African hunting dogs and reptiles, amphibians and fish.
- 2 Grove Theatre, Grove Park, Court Drive, Dunstable, LU5 4GP, ☏ , ✉ grovetheatre@1Life.co.uk.
- 3 Priory House Heritage Centre, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tourist Information Centre and Gift Shop: M-Sa 10AM-4PM; Tea Rooms: M-Sa 10AM-4:30PM (last food orders 3:45PM); closed Bank Holidays.
- 4 Totternhoe Knolls (Access from the National Trust car park off Castle Hill Rd). 13 hectare site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). 4-mile circular walk including the hill forts at the Knolls
- 5 Waulud's Bank (4½ miles NE of town). Neolithic enclosure at Leagrave
- 6 Wardown Park Museum, Old Bedford Rd, Luton LU2 7HA, ☏ .
- 7 Dunstable Downs. part of the Chiltern Hills, Dunstable Downs are 243 m (797 ft) high, the highest point in Bedfordshire.
- 8 Dunstable Priory (Priory Church of St. Peter). St Peter's church is the remaining nave from the priory which was founded in 1132 by Henry I.
- 1 Go Bowling (Ten-pin Bowling), Grove Park, Court Drive, Dunstable LU5 4JD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F noon-11PM, Sa 9:30AM-midnight, Su 1AM-11PM, school & bank holidays 10AM-late.
- 2 London Gliding Club (Trial Lesson), Tring Rd, Dunstable LU6 2JP (2 miles SW of Dunstable), ☏ . 15-20 min trial lesson £100.
- 2 Sainsbury's (Supermarket), 2-8 Luton Rd, Dunstable LU5 4RF, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Petrol station, cafe & pharmacy (different hours)
- 3 Asda (Supermarket), Court Drive, Dunstable LU5 4JD, ☏ . M-F 7AM-11PM, Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 4 Pedalworks Bike Shop (Sales, Accessories/Parts & Workshop), 5-7 West St, Dunstable LU6 1SL, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-5PM.
- 1 Lumpini (Thai Restaurant), 105 High st South, Dunstable LU6 3SQ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa noon-2:30PM & 5:30-10:30PM, Su noon-2:30PM & 5-10:PM. Good Thai food alternative if you are tired of pub food.
- 2 Vantage Indian Restaurant (Indian Restaurant & Take-away), 31 High St South, Dunstable LU6 3RZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 5-11:30PM, Su 5-11PM.
- 3 Market Cross Carvery, 14 Luton Rd, Dunstable, LU5 4JN, ☏ , ✉ MarketCross.Dunstable@marstons.co.uk. M-Sa noon-11PM, Su noon-10PM.
- 4 Ivory Lounge (Restaurant), 23 High St North, Dunstable LU6 1HX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F 11AM-3AM, Sa 11AM-4AM. F & Sa night has entertainment
- 5 Spice Fusion (Asian Restaurant & Take-away), 4-6 Albion St, Dunstable LU6 1SA, ☏ . Su-Th 6-11PM, F Sa 6-11:30PM,.
- 1 The Gary Cooper (Pub & Food), Unit 2, Grove Park, Court Drive, Dunstable LU5 4GP, ☏ . Su-Th 8AM-midnight, F Sa 8AM-1AM. Better pub food than some of the offerings in town. Also largest menu in town which includes some pasta and wider range of meat dishes.
- 2 The Old Sugar Loaf, 42-44 High St North, Dunstable LU6 1LA, ☏ .
- 3 Cubes (Dance & nightclub), 51 High St North, Dunstable LU6 1JF.
- 4 The Pheasant (Pub & Food), 208 West St, Dunstable LU6 1NX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-11:30PM, Su noon-11PM. Free Wi-Fi
- 5 The Glider (Pub & Food), 65 Lowther Rd, Dunstable LU6 3NL, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Su-Th 11AM-11PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight.
- 1 The Old Palace Lodge (Hotel), Church St, Dunstable LU5 4RT, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Upscale hotel. Excellent staff. Rooms have been remodeled in the past couple of years - i.e. flat screen TV with DVD attachment. Pillows weren't the best and the shower pressure was pretty weak. Price was about £100 per night but great long-term rates. The price included a cold buffet and hot breakfast. There has been a building at this location since the 1100s - when Henry I built a palace here.
- 2 Holiday Inn, London Rd, Dunstable LU6 3DX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 3 Regent House (B&B), 79a High St North, Dunstable LU6 1JF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Single £26; Double/twin £40.
- 4 Premier Inn, 350 Luton Rd, Dunstable LU5 4LL, ☏ (premium). Free Wi-Fi. from £50.
- 1 Post Office, 13 Queensway, Dunstable LU5 4ET. M-Sa 8AM-6PM.