Thetford is noted for being the birthplace of Thomas Paine, where a statue of him stands on King Street. The external scenes for the British comedy TV series Dad's Army were filmed in and around the town's flint buildings.
- 1 Thetford Station, Station Road, Thetford, IP24 1AH. On the Breckland line connecting the town to Norwich to the E (usually 2 trains per hour) and Cambridge to the W (usually 1 train per hour) and to London Liverpool St to the S (usually 1 train per hour).
- National Cycle Route 13. Runs from Bury St Edmunds to the S to Dereham to the N then connecting to National Cycle Route 1)
- The town also lies Regional Cycle Route 30 (connecting to Diss and beyond to the E and Brandon (Suffolk) and beyond to the W).
- 1 Peddars Way. (46 miles) long distance footpath ends 4 miles from the town in 1 Knettishall Heath. Running northwards from the town the path meets the Norfolk Coast Path in Hunstanton.
- 2 Icknield Way. long distance footpath (110 miles) from Ivinghoe Beacon in Chiltern Hills) also ends in Knettishall Heath though includes a Thetford link taking walkers into the town. The Icknield Way is probably the oldest road in Britain, dating back to prehistoric times.
- 3 Angles Way. (93 miles) long distance footpath runs to the town from Great Yarmouth
The town has a number of car parks, many free for a limited time. See Thetford Car Parks.
There are a number of local bus services.
The central town is small enough to see on foot.
- 1 Grimes Graves, Prehistoric Flint Mine, Lynford, IP26 5DE, ☏ . adults £3.50, children £2.10, concessions £3.20.
- 2 Ancient House Museum, White Hart St, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 1AA, ☏ . Apr–Sept: Tu–Sa 10:00–17:00. Oct–Mar: Tu–Sa 10:00–16:00. his museum situated on White Hart Street, is an oak-framed Tudor merchant's house. The museum holds replicas of the Thetford Treasure and has displays about flint knapping, rabbit warreners and wildlife in the brecks. You can also find out more about Thomas Paine and the Maharajah Duleep Singh. The Ancient House was gifted to the town by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh. £4.35 (adult). £3.50 (child). Other rates available..
- 3 Statue of Captain Mainwaring (From the TV Series Dad's Army), Anchor Court, Thetford, IP24 2AZ (Beside bridge where Bridge St crosses Little Ouse river opposite Bell Hotel).
- 4 Dad's Army Museum, The Old Fire Station, Cage Lane, Thetford, IP24 2DS, ☏ (mobile), email@example.com. Sa (Spring to Nov) and Tu (Norfolk school holidays) 10am to 3pm. Free.
- 5 Thetford Priory, Water Lane, Thetford, IP24 1BB. Apr-Sept: daily 08:00-18:00. Oct-Mar 08:00-16:00.
- 6 Thetford Warren Lodge, Brandon Rd, Thetford. Daylight hours.
- 2 Thetford Snooker Centre, Oddfellows Hall, Earls St, Thetford, IP24 2AD, ☏ . Daily 10:00-00:00.
- 3 Thetford Golf Club, Brandon Rd, Thetford, IP24 3NE, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Tesco Express (Convenience Store), 8 Norwich Rd, Thetford, IP24 2HT, ☏ . Daily 06:00-23:00. ATMs.
- 2 Tesco (Superstore), Kilverstone, Thetford, IP24 2RL, ☏ . M 06:00-00:00. Tu-Sa 24 hrs. Su 10:00-16:00. Petrol. Pharmacy. ATMs. Wi-Fi. Cafe.
- 3 Sainsbury's (Supermarket), Forest Retail Park, London Rd Thetford, IP24 3QL, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00. Petrol station & Pharmacy (different opening hours).
- 1 Dominos Pizza (Pizza Take-away/delivery), 18/18a Well St, Thetford, IP24 2BL, ☏ . Daily 11:00-23:00.
- 2 The Mulberry, 11 Raymond St, Thetford, IP24 2EA, ☏ . Tu-Sa 18:00-. Mediterranean & English style food. Locally sourced ingredients.
- 3 Chase (Pub & restaurant), Newtown, Thetford, IP24 3BN, ☏ , email@example.com. Bar: M-Th 11:00-23:00. F 11:00-00:00. Sa 10:00-00:00. Su 10:00-23:00. Food: M-F 11:00-22:00. Sa-Su 10:00-22:00. Free Wi-Fi.
- 4 Zaks (American Diner), Castle St, Thetford, IP24 2DP, ☏ . Daily 09:00-late (managers discretion).
- 5 Croxton Fish Bar (Take-away), 10 Anna Gurney Close, Thetford, IP24 1TA, ☏ . Tu-Sa 11:30-14:00 & 16:00-21:30.
- 6 The Warrener (Pub & restaurant), Lynn-Wood, Brandon Rd, Thetford, IP24 3PG, ☏ . M-F 06:30-23:00. Sa 07:00-23:00. Su 07:00-22:30.
- 1 The Red Lion (Pub), Market Pl, Thetford, IP24 2AL, ☏ . M-Th 08:00-23:00. F Sa 08:00-00:00. Su 08:00-23:00.. Wi-Fi. Grade II listed building.
- 2 Costa Coffee, 14 King St, Thetford, IP24 2AP. M-Sa 08:00-18:00. Su 09:00-17:00..
- 3 Green Dragon (Pub), 5 Market Place, Thetford, IP24 2AJ, ☏ .
- 4 The Black Horse (Pub), 64 Magdalen St, Thetford, IP24 2BP, ☏ . Grade II listed building.
- 1 Thomas Paine Hotel, 33 Whitehart St, Thetford, IP24 1AA, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi. 20 free parking spaces available. Has restaurant.
- 2 Travellodge, Bridge St, Thetford, IP24 3AF, ☏ (premium rate). WiFi (free for 30 mins per 24 hr period; £3 for 24 hr access). Free on-site parking.
- 3 Grange Farm House (B&B), Euston, Nr. Thetford, IP24 2QG, ☏ . Dogs allowed with advanced notice. No smoking. Wi-Fi.
- 4 [dead link] Bell Hotel, King Street, Thetford IP24 2AZ, ☏ , email@example.com. Wi-Fi.
- 5 Wereham House, 24 White Hart St, Thetford IP24 1AD, ☏ .
- 6 Elveden Inn, Brandon Rd, Elveden IP24 3TP, ☏ . Pleasant pub with meals and rooms just of A11. B&B double £90.
- 2 Nearest Accident & Emergency: West Suffolk Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Hardwick Lane, Bury St. Edmunds, IP33 2QZ (15 miles S of town). 24/7.
- 3 School Lane Surgery (GP/Primary Healthcare), School Lane, Thetford, IP24 2AG, ☏ . M-F 08:30-17:00.
- 4 mydentist (Dentist), 6 Townsend House, Guildhall St, Thetford, IP24 2DT, ☏ . M Tu 08:30-18:00. W 08:15-18:00. Th 08:30-18:00. F 08:15-17:15.
- 5 Tanner Street Pharmacy, 1 Tanner Court, Tanner Street, Thetford, IP24 2BQ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 07:00-23:00. Sa 08:00-20:00. Su 10:00-18:00.
Thetford and its approach roads have 4G from all UK carriers. As of Sept 2022, 5G has not reached this area.
|Routes through Thetford|
|Newmarket ← Mildenhall ←||SW NE||→ Attleborough → Norwich|