Dereham, sometimes knows as East Dereham and not to be confused with West Dereham (around 15 miles away), has a population of around 18,000. The town is situated 25 miles to the W of Norwich and 40 miles NNE of Ely.
The Town badge is from the arms of the Bishop of Ely with a deer. The three golden crowns are from the princesses and saints, Withburga, Æthelthryth and Saxburga. The town is on the site of a monastery founded by St Withburga (whose body was stolen by the monks of Ely legend being that the Holy Well in St Nicholas' Church started to flow when her body was stolen). Æthelthryth was a princess, a Fenland queen and Abbess of Ely. Saxburga was a queen then regent in Kent until her son came of age after which she moved to live at the Abbey of Ely. Dereham's name derives from a deer park that (is thought to have) existed in the area.
The town does have a railway station but is serves only a preserved heritage Mid-Norfolk Railway linking the town to Wymondham and running between 3 and 6 trains per day (depending on the day and time of year) - so not a useful route into the town for most people.
- National Cycle Route (NCR) 13. runs to the N connecting to National Cycle Route 1 (to the North Norfolk Coast and beyond eventually to Shetland). To the S NCR 13 runs to Thetford, Bury St Edmunds and beyond to Colchester where it connects to NCR 1.
- Nar Valley Way. long distance footpath (33 miles) runs between Gressenhall (3 miles to the NE) and King's Lynn.
- Wensum Way. long distance footpath (12 miles) runs between Gressenhall (3 miles to the NE) and Lenwade where it connects with the Marriott's Way connecting to Norwich and to Aylsham.
- Cross Norfolk Trail. (96 miles) runs between King's Lynn and Great Yarmouth. Made up of various other footpaths (including the Nar Valley Way and the Wensum Way)
The town is small enough to get around on foot.
- 1 Mid-Norfolk Railway, Station Road, Dereham, NR19 1DF, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Bishop Bonner's Cottage (Museum), St. Withburga Lane, Dereham, NR19 1ED, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. £2 (accompanied under 16's free).
- 3 Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse (Museum), Gressenhall, Dereham, Norfolk, NR20 4DR (3 miles N of Dereham), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 50 acre site. Historic workhouse museum. Life on the land exhibition. Traditional farm with rare breed animals. Adventure playground. £11.95 (adult). £9.55 (child). £11.40 (concessions). Family tickets available..
- 4 Dereham Windmill, end of Greenfields Rd, Dereham, NR20 3TE, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. F-Su 10:00-16:00. Grade 2 Listed Windmill built in 1835. Exhibitions change monthly. Coffee and cake shop. £2.50 (adults). £2.00 (concessions). £1.00 (under 16s).
- 1 Strikes (Ten Pin Bowling Alley), Station Rd, East Dereham, NR19 1DF, ☏ . Daily 10:00-late. Also indoor children's adventure play area (Planet Zoom open daily 10:00-18:00) For 1 game: £6.95 (adult). £5.95 (child)..
- 2 Puzzelscape (Live escape game.), 11 Church St, Dereham, NR19 1DP, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Live escape room game. 2-6 players are shut in a themed room & must solve hidden puzzles (duration 1hr for escape).
- 3 Holywood Cinema (3 Screens Cinema), Market Place, Dereham, NR19 2AW, ☏ . £7.30 (adult). £5.99 (under 15 & OAP). (other rates available).
- 1 Roys (Department Store), Yaxham Rd, East Dereham, NR19 1HD, ☏ . M-F 08:30-20:00. Sa 08:30-19:00. Su 11:00-17:00.
- 2 Lidl (Supermarket), Kingston Rd, Dereham, NR19 1WB. M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 3 Morrisons (Supermarket), Station Rd, East Dereham, NR19 1DF, ☏ . M-Sa 0:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00. Cafe (different hours). Petrol station (different hours). ATMs.
- 1 Spice Fusion (Indian Restaurant), 25 Wellington Rd, Dereham, NR19 2BP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M 12:00-14:00 & 17:00-23:00. TU-TH 17:00-23:00. F SA 17:00-00:00. SU 12:00-14:00 & 17:00-23:00. Restaurant, take-away, delivery.
- 2 [dead link] Cockers Bistro, 28 Norwich St, East Dereham, NR19 1BX., ☏ . W Th 11:00-15:00 & 17:30-21:00. F 11:00-15::00 & 17:30-22:30. Sa 11:00-23:00. Su 12:00-17:00.
- 3 Lodge Bar & Restaurant, Main Rd, North Tuddenham, NR20 3DJ, ☏ . Tu-Sa 12:00-21:00. Su 12:00-15:00.
- 1 The Gemini (Pub & Restaurant), Sandy Lane, Dereham, NR19 2EA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 11:00-23:30. F Sa 11:00-01:00. Su 11:00-23:30. Free Wi-Fi.
- 2 [formerly dead link] The Railway Tavern (Pub), 21-23 Yaxham Rd, Dereham, NR19 1HB, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11:30-22:00. F Sa 11:30-00:00. Su 11:30-21:00. Also food.
- 3 The Bull (Pub), 25 High St, Dereham, NR19 1DZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 11:00-23:00. F-Sa 11:00-00:00. Su 12:00-23:00. Wi-Fi. Food (M-Sa 11:00-21:00; Su 12:00-21:00).
- 4 Longham White Horse (Pub, Restaurant & B&B), Wendling Rd, Longham, NR19 2RD (6 miles NW of town.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 The Angel (Pub), 66 Greengate, Swanton Morley, NR20 4LX (3 miles NE of town.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 6 Brisley Bell, The Green, Brisley NR20 5DW (on B1145 Elham Rd), ☏ . Daily 11:00-23:00. Great village pub. Also has rooms (B&B double £120) but it's the food that gets the rave reviews.
- 1 [dead link] The George Hotel, Swaffham Rd, NR19 2AZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. between managers as of Feb 2021
- 2 The Romany Rye, Church St, NR19 1DL, ☏ . Check-in: From 14:00, check-out: By 11:00. Hotel, restaurant and pub with free Wi-Fi. From £39 per night.
- 3 Lynn Hill Guest House, Yaxham Rd, NR19 1HA, ☏ .
- 4 Glendower Guesthouse & Apartments B&B, Commercial Rd, NR19 1AE, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: From 14:00, check-out: By 11:00.
- 1 Nearest Accident & Emergency: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY (16 miles E of town). 24/7.
- 2 Dr Rosbergen & Partners (GP or Primary Healthcare), 27 Theatre St, East Dereham, NR19 2EN, ☏ . M-F 08:00-18:30.
- 3 OASIS Dental Care (Dentist), 1 Gwersylt Villas, Cowper Rd , Dereham, NR19 2BY, ☏ . M-Th 08:00-19:00. F 08:30-17:00.
- 4 Lloyds Pharmacy, Orchard Surgery, Commercial Rd, Dereham, NR19 1AE, ☏ . M-F 08:30-18:30. Sa 09:00-13:00.
- 5 Post Office, Quebec Street, Dereham NR19 2AA. M 09:00-17:30. Tu 09:30-17:30. W-F 09:00-17:30. Sa 09:00-12:30.
|Routes through Dereham|
|King's Lynn ← Swaffham ←||W E||→ Norwich → Great Yarmouth|