Swaffham is a picturesque market town in the west of Norfolk. It became famous as one of the principal filming locations for the ITV television series Kingdom from 2007 to 2009.
The town grew to prominence during mediaeval times based on local agriculture. Historically a town whose prosperity came from sheep and wool and thus the town has an unusually large market place (for the population). Whilst many of the buildings have Georgian and Victorian facades on older mediaeval buildings.
Swaffham is located just south where the west–east (Kings Lynn (15 miles) to Norwich (30 miles)) A47 and the south-north A1065 (London, Cambridge and Newmarket to Fakenham and North Norfolk) roads cross. These two busy routes provide Swaffham with a large volume of passing trade and travellers, especially at weekends and during the summer months.
Swaffham's most frequent and important bus connection is the Excell X1  regional bus. Services call every half hour (Monday to Saturday) or hourly (Sundays) in both directions:
- X1 westbound towards Kings Lynn, Wisbeach, Peterborough bus station, Peterborough railway station and most villages en route.
- X1 eastbound towards Dereham, Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft and most villages en route.
Passengers travelling by train to or from Peterborough can buy a through rail ticket to/from Swaffham on the X1 bus, thereby saving on the combined cost of train and bus tickets.
Swaffham has daily National Express  service on two routes:
- NX308 westbound towards Kings Lynn, Wisbeach, Peterborough, Leicester, Coventry and Birmingham.
- NX308 eastbound towards Dereham, Norwich and Great Yarmouth.
- NX496 southbound towards Mundford, Brandon, Mildenhall, Stratford (London) and London.
- NX496 northbound towards Dereham, Fakenham, Holt, Sherringham and Cromer.
Details of additional rural bus routes between Swaffham and neighbouring towns and villages can be found on the website of Traveline East Anglia  or by calling the National Traveline service on 0870-608-2-608.
There are stations on different lines, approximately equidistant to Swaffham.
- Downham Market is 25 km (15 miles) west, for services north to Kings Lynn and south Ely, Cambridge and London King's Cross.
- Brandon 25 km (15 miles) south, for services east to Thetford, Attleborough, Wymondham and Norwich and west to Ely and Cambridge. Cross country trains from the northwest and midlands do not stop at Brandon, but they do stop at Thetford, which is just a few miles further away from Swaffham than Brandon.
By bicycle & on foot
- 1 Peddars Way. Long-distance footpath (46 miles) passes close by the town. Much of the path can be used by cyclists. The path runs from Hunstanton on the North Norfolk Coast to close to Thetford
Swaffham is small enough to be easily explored on foot. There are a number of public transport options within the town itself (excluding train services).
- 1 Swaffham Museum, 4 London St, Swaffham PE37 7DQ, ☏ . M-F 10:00-16:00, Sa 10:00-13:00. Adults £3, children £1, concessions £2.
- 2 Ecotech Centre, The Green Britain Centre, Turbine Way, Swaffham PE37 7HT (5 min walk from town centre), ☏ . M-F 10:00-16:00. Windmill tours at 11:00, 13:00 & 15:00 adults £6, children £4, concessions £5.
- 3 Castle Acre Priory, Priory Rd, Castle Acre, King's Lynn PE32 2XD (5 miles north of Swaffham), ☏ . Adults £7, children £4.20, concessions £6.30.
- 4 Castle Acre Castle and Bailey Gate, Pye’s Lane, Castle Acre, King’s Lynn PE32 2XB (5 miles N of Swaffham). Open any reasonable time during daylight hours. Free.
- 5 Oxburgh Hall, Oxborough PE33 9PS (7 miles SW of Swaffham), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. House & garden: adult £10.40, child £5.20; garden & estate only: adult £5.80, child £2.90.
- 6 Gooderstone Water Gardens, The Street, Gooderstone PE33 9BP, ☏ . Daily 10:00-17:30. "A meadow too wet for cattle to graze" so nothing daunted, the landowner created a water garden from 1970. They fell derelict after his death but were re-opened in 2003. Adult £7.
- 1 Swaffham Golf Club, Cley Rd, Swaffham,PE37 8AE, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 Manor Farm Riding School, Manor Farm, Manor Rd, Scarning, East Dereham, NR19 2LL, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu W 10:00-14:00, Th F 16:30-19:30, Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 09:00-12:30.
- 3 Swaffham Leisure Centre, Brandon Rd, Swaffham, PE37 7DY (1 mile from town centre), ☏ . M-F 08:00-13:00 & 16:00-23:00, Sa 10:00-18:00, Su 09:00-18:00. Gym, sports hall, spin studio, squash court.
- Saturday Market, Market Place, Swaffham, PE37 7AB, ☏ , email@example.com. Sa 09:00-16:00. The market square is occupied by stalls, and the town is usually bustling with people from surrounding towns and villages. Fresh meat, fish, fruit and vegetables are widely available, as well as more specialised local produce.
- Indoor Friday Market, Market Place, Swaffham, ☏ (mobile). F 09:00-14:00. Around 20 stalls.
- 1 Waitrose, Castle Acre Rd, Swaffham, PE37 7HT, ☏ . M-Th 07:30-20:00, F 07:30-21:00, Sa 07:30-20:00, Su 10:00-16:00. Petrol station (different hours), ATMs, cafe, payphone.
- 2 Adsa, Lynn St, Swaffham, PE37 7AU, ☏ . M-Sa 07:00-23:00, Su 10:00-16:00. ATMs
- 1 The Market Cross Cafe & Bar, 15 Market Pl, Swaffham, PE37 7AB (on the marketplace), ☏ . Highly rated, providing customers with hot and cold food and drink throughout the day.
- 2 The East Garden (Chinese Restaurant), 7 London St, Swaffham, PE37 7DD, ☏ . Tu-Th 12:00-14:00 & 17:00-22:00, F Sa 12:00-14:00 & 17:00-22:30, Su 12:00-14:00 & 17:00-22:00.
- 3 Mother Hubbards (Fish & Chip Restaurant & Take-away), 91 Market Place, Swaffham, PE37 7AQ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11:30-14:00 & 16:30-21:00, Sa 10:3022:00, Su 14:00-21:00.
- Red Lion, 87 Market Place Swaffham PE37 7AQ, ☏ , email@example.com. Meals are served from 12 noon to 8:00pm every day. Also cater for Vegetarian and Gluten Free please ask. 10 rooms available with 6 ensuite and 4 family shared ensuite rooms.
- 1 The Greyhound (Pub), 97 Market Pl Swaffham, PE37 7AQ, ☏ .
- 2 The Kings Arms (Pub, Cafe & Restaurant), 21 Market St, Swaffham, PE37 7LA, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu 18:00-23:00, W-Sa 12:00-23:00, Su 12:00-16:00.
- 1 Strattons Hotel, 4 Ash Close, Swaffham PE37 7NH, ☏ . Upscale hotel in a Palladian villa, with 14 elegant luxurious rooms and award-winning restaurant. B&B double from £100.
- 2 Best Western (Hotel), Station St, Swaffham, PE37 7LJ, ☏ (premium). Check-in: From 14:00, check-out: by 11:00. Free Wi-Fi. Pets allowed in rooms (£10 per night).
- 3 The Vines (B&B), The Street, Great Cressingham, Norfolk, IP25 6NL (6 miles S of town), ☏ , email@example.com. Dogs allowed (charged for).
- 4 Baileygate B&B, Marcon House, Bailey St, Castle Acre, Kings Lynn, PE32 2AG (5 miles N of town), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Single occupancy £60 a night, double/twin occupancy £80 a night.
- 1 Post Office, 49-51 Market Place, Swaffham, PE37 7LE.
- Blakeney (Norfolk) with Blakeney Point Seal Colony and Norfolk Wildlife Trust Cley Marshes Nature Reserve
- Wells-next-the-Sea with its oysters and its seal-watching trips.
- King's Lynn
|Routes through Swaffham|
|Peterborough ← King's Lynn ←||W E||→ Dereham → Norwich|