Newmarket is a small market town in west Suffolk, between Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds. It is most well known for its horses - it is the headquarters of the Jockey Club that oversees British horseracing, as well as the home of the National Horseracing Museum and the National Stud.
Also nearby is the USAF air base at Lakenheath.
Newmarket is on the A14 and A11 main routes. 14 miles (22 km) from Cambridge and 17 miles (25 km) from Bury St Edmunds on the A14 main road. 50 miles from Norwich and 17 miles from the M1 motorway on the A11 main road.
Newmarket Rookery Bus Station has regular services to Cambridge, Ely and Bury St Edmunds with Stagecoach
Local busses around the villages, and to towns like Mildenhall, are found on Traveline East Anglia.
National Express coaches stop on the High St, outside KFC/Palmers. These services run to London every 5 hours, as well as to Norwich and the London airports (Stansted (STN IATA), Heathrow (LHR IATA) and Gatwick (LGW IATA)) every 2 hours.
- 1 Newmarket Train station, Station Approach, Newmarket, CB8 9BB. on the Cambridge to Ipswich line. Trains run roughly hourly, except on Sundays when they are every 2 hours. Timetables and prices are available from National Rail. To find the office from the station, exit the station onto the road. Turn right, then at the end of the road turn left. Continue straight on to the traffic lights on the High St. Turn right. At the clock tower roundabout, take the second exit signed Ely A142. Just past the traffic lights, Computerlinks is the brick building immediately after Waitrose. The walk is about 15 minutes, but there may be taxis at the station. If taking a train from Newmarket, pay attention to the direction of travel - the line is single track so all trains use the same platform. For Cambridge, trains approach from the left as standing on the platform. Station operated by and services run by Greater Anglia
For longer distance services, connections are available at Cambridge for Stansted Airport, London King's Cross, London Liverpool St, the Midlands and the North, or towards Ipswich you can change at Stowmarket for Norwich.
The town is on National Cycle Route 51 running Oxford to Colchester, through Bury St Edmunds & Ipswich to the E and through Cambridge to the W. National Cycle Route 51 connects with National Cycle Route 11 a few miles NW of the town.
The town is small enough to walk around.
- 1 National Horseracing Museum (Palace House), Palace House, Palace St, CB8 8EP, ☏ . Daily 10AM-5PM. £16.50; children £9.50; concessions £15.
- 2 The National Stud, CB8 0XE, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Thoroughbred horse breeding farm. National Stud Tours
- 3 Moulton Packhorse Bridge, Moulton, CB8 8SP. A four-arched late medieval bridge, spanning the River Kennett.
- Go to the races at 1 Newmarket Racecourses, The Links CB8 0TG (a mile southwest of town off A1304). This holds frequent flat-racing events April-Oct. It's "racecourses" plural because there are two: the July Course used in summer, and the Rowley Mile Course used in spring and autumn. Indeed there's a third, only occasionally used.
- 2 Mx Tryout (Motocross Experience & Tuition), At Wildtracks Activity Park, Chippenham Rd, Kennett, CB8 7QJ, ☏ (mobile), email@example.com.
- 3 Wild Tracks Activity Park (Outdoor Activities Park), Chippenham Rd, Kennett, CB8 7QJ (Use postcode CB8 7QJ), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 9AM-9PM (pre-book). Airguns, archery, clay shooting, crossbows, karting, motocross, quad bikes, etc.
- Tattersalls. Main auctioneer of race horses in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- 1 Artistry in Cocoa (Specialist Chocolate Shop), 25 Granby St, CB8 8HE, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM. Chocolate sales and demonstrations & tastings
- 2 Waitrose (Supermarket), Fred Archer Way, CB8 8NY, ☏ . M-Th 7AM-8PM, F 7AM-9PM, Sa 7AM-8PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 3 Tesco (Supermarket), Fordham Rd, CB8 7AH, ☏ . M 6AM-midnight, Tu-Sa 24 hr, Su 10AM-4PM. Petrol station & pharmacy (different hours). ATMs. Wi-Fi
Try a Newmarket pork sausage.
- 1 Montaz (Indian Restaurant), 30 Old Station Rd, CB8 8DN, ☏ . Daily 5:30-11PM.
- 2 Wildwood (Pizza Pasta Grill), 29 High St, CB8 8LX, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Su-Th 11:30-10:30PM, F Sa 11:30AM-11PM. Free Wi-Fi
- 3 El Guaca (Mexican restaurant), Unit 1/2, 4 Exeter Rd, CB8 8LT, ☏ . M-Th noon-10:30PM; F Sa noon-midnight, Su noon-10:30PM.
- 4 Khobkhun (Thai Restaurant), 160 High St, CB8 9AQ, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily noon-3PM & 6:30-10:30PM.
- 1 The New Wellington (Pub & Food), 81 Cheveley Rd, CB8 8AD, ☏ .
- 2 The Golden Lion (Pub), 44 High St, CB8 8LB, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-midnight, F Sa 8AM-1AM, Su 8AM-midnight. Wi-Fi
- 3 The Waggon & Horses (Pub & Food), 34-36 High St, CB8 8LB, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-2AM, F Sa 8AM-2:30AM, Su 8AM-2AM.
- 4 The Bushel (Pub), 18 Market St, CB8 8EE, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-midnight, F Sa 10AM-1AM, Su 10AM-midnight.
- 1 Rutland Arms Hotel, 33 High St, CB8 8NB, ☏ (premium). Free Wi-Fi
- 2 Best Western Hotel, Moulton Rd, Newmarket CB8 8D, ☏ (premium). Check-in: from 2PM, check-out: by 11AM. Free Wi-Fi. AA 3*
- 3 Bedford Lodge Hotel, 11 Bury Rd, CB8 7BX (just across the Severals horse training field.), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Peaceful hotel complete with award winning restaurant, health club and steam room.
- 4 The White Hart Hotel, 134 High St, CB8 8JP, ☏ , email@example.com. This hotel is on the High Street in the centre of Newmarket, 20 minutes walk from the racecourse and 10 minutes from the Tattersalls auctioneers
- 5 Cadogan Hotel, Fordham Rd, CB8 7AA, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Small family-run hotel in a charming 19th-century building, steeped in history
- 6 Packhorse Inn, Bridge St, Moulton CB8 8SP, ☏ . Grand little hotel in made-over Victorian pub looking onto the old packhorse bridge. B&B double from £110.
- 7 Bedford Lodge, Bury Rd, Newmarket CB8 7BX, ☏ . Comfy hotel with spa in a Georgian hunting lodge, good dining. B&B double £120.
- 8 The Three Blackbirds, 36 Ditton Green, Woodditton CB8 9SQ, ☏ . Great reviews for comfort and dining in this 17th century country pub. B&B double £100.
Newmarket has 4G from all UK carriers. As of Sept 2022, 5G has not reached this area.
|Routes through Newmarket|
|London ← Duxford ←||SW NE||→ Mildenhall → Norwich|
|Birmingham ← Cambridge ←||W E||→ Bury St Edmunds → Felixstowe|