Fakenham is a market town in Norfolk.
Recorded in the Domesday Book the village was small and neighbouring villages dominated until Henry VIII dissolved the Abbey at Hempton, when Fakenham started to grow until by 1250 it became a Market Town and today still has a weekly market close to the original location. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries printing was the town's main industry but the principal printers closed in 1970.
The town in on the River Wensum.
The stations in the town have both closed and there are no longer any train services to the town.
- Stagecoach X29 service runs through the town between King's Lynn and Norwich.
- Sanders Coaches service 9 runs between the town and Cromer
- konectbus service 21 runs between the town and Dereham (via North Elmham).
The town is small enough to see on foot.
- 1 Fakenham Museum of Gas and Local History, Hempton Rd, Fakenham, NR21 7LA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. the only surviving town gasworks in England and Wales
- 2 Langham Glass, Greenway Lane, Fakenham, NR21 8ET, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00-16:00. Glass blowing centre (courses, experience/"have-a-go", shop, cafe).
- 3 Houghton Hall, Bircham Rd, King's Lynn PE31 6TY, ☏ . Closed ufn. Grand Palladian pile built for Sir Robert Walpole, Britain's first and (by some distance) longest-serving Prime Minister. With extensive ornamental gardens and sculpture park.
- 1 Fakenham Golf Club, Pudding Norton, Fakenham, NR21 7NY, ☏ .
- 2 Holywood Cinema, Market Place, Fakenham, NR21 9BP, ☏ . £7 (adult). £5.99 (child).
- Go to the races at 3 Fakenham Racecourse, Fakenham NR21 7NY (south across river from town centre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Unusually, this has year-round jumps races, no flat-racing.
- 4 Pensthorpe Natural Park, Fakenham Road, Fakenham, NR21 0LN, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily from 10:00 (09:30 in summer). Wildlife Park. For several years the BBC TV SpringWatch Nature series was filmed based in the park. No dogs (other than assistance dogs). £11.95 (adult). £10.95 (child and senior).
- 1 Thursday Market, Market Place, Fakenham, NR21 9BG. Th 09:00-15:00. Also see some of the printing blocks set into the market square celebrating the printing history of the town.
- 2 Tesco (Supermarket), Oak St Fakenham, NR21 9DX, ☏ . M-Sa 0:00-22:00. Su 11:-17:00. Wi-Fi. ATMs.
- 3 Lidl (Supermarket), Holt Rd, Fakenham, NR21 8JG. M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 4 Lloyds (Bank), 27 Norwich St, Fakenham, NR21 9AH. M Tu 09:00-1:30. W 09:30-16:30. Th F 09:00-16:30. Sa 09:00-13:00.
- 5 HSBC (Bank), 36 Market Place, Fakenham, NR21 9DA. M-F 09:30-15:30. 24 hr ATM.
- 1 Drifters Fish & Chips (Restaurant), 20 Oak St, Fakenham, NR21 9DY, ☏ . Tu W 11:30-14:00 & 16:30-21:00. Th 11:00-21:00. F 11:30-21:30. Sa 11:00-21:00. Su 16:00-20:30. Also delivery.
- 2 Running Horse, Hawthorn Way,, ☏ .
- 3 Henry IV (Pub & Restaurant), Greenway Lane, Fakenham, NR21 8ES, ☏ . M-F 11:00-23:00. Sa 10:00-23:00. Su 10:00-22:30. Free Wi-Fi. Beer garden.
- 4 [dead link] Norfolk Kebab House (Take-away), 3 Norwich St, Fakenham, NR21 9AF, ☏ . M-Th 15:00-23:55. F Sa 15:00-01:00. Su 15:00-23:55. Delivery available (different hours).
- 1 [dead link] The Bull (Pub), 41 Bridge St, Fakenham, NR21 9AG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free House & member of CAMRA. Also food & rooms.
- 2 The Limes (Pub), 30 Bridge St, Fakenham, NR21 9AZ, ☏ . Daily 08:00-00:00. Wi-Fi. Food (different hours).
- 3 Wisteria Tea Rooms, Newmans Yard, Norwich St, Fakenham, NR21 9AF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu 10:00-14:00. W 10:00-15:00. Th 09:00-15:00. F 10:00-15:00. Sa 09:00-15:00. (occasionally Su 12:00-15:00).
- 1 Wensum Lodge Hotel, Bridge St, Fakenham NR21 9AY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00-23:00, check-out: By 11:00..
- 2 Rampant Horse Inn, 3 Queens Rd, Fakenham NR21 8BS, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub with rooms, no dogs. Often live music Sa nights (local bands). From £35 (single occupancy). From £50 (double occupancy).
- 3 Erika's, 3 Gladstone Rd, Fakenham NR21 9BZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi. £35-£40 per night.
- 4 [dead link] Bay Tree Cottage (B&B), 17 Sculthorpe Rd, Fakenham NR21 9HA, ☏ . Off-street parking. £50 (single occupancy). £75 (double occupancy).
- 5 Old Wash House (B&B), 44a Creake Rd, Fakenham NR21 9NQ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00-19:00, check-out: By 10:00. £80 per night (double room).
- 6 Pear Tree Cottage, Water Lane, East Barsham NR21 0LF, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00-20:00, check-out: By 10:00. No dogs. Free Wi-Fi in rooms.
- 7 Wild Meadow Glamping, Lodge Farm, Swaffham Rd, East Raynham NR21 7EF, ☏ . Posh yurts open June-Aug sleep 4-5. Assistance dogs only. Yurt £120 / night.
- 1 Nearest Accident & Emergency: The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Gayton Road, King's Lynn, PE30 4ET (20 miles to W). 24/7.
- 2 [dead link] The Fakenham Medical Practice (GP or Primary Healthcare), Meditrina House, Trinity Rd, Fakenham, NR21 8SW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-18:30.
- 3 Wensum Dental Practice (Dentist), 65 Norwich Rd, Fakenham, NR21 8BA, ☏ , ✉ info@WensumDentalPractice.co.uk. M-F 9:00-17:00.
- 4 [dead link] Well (Pharmacy), Lidl Retail Park, Holt Rd, Fakenham, NR218JG, ☏ . M-F 09:00-18:30. Sa 09:00-13:00.
- 5 Post Office, 9 Millers Walk, Whitehorse St, Fakenham, NR21 9AP.