With a population of around 5,000, the town is centred around the market place. The town sign shows John Gaunt, Lord of the manor from 1372 in the days when the town was known for its fine linen. Manufacture of linen was the main industry until 15th century after which it declined and wool became more important. After the Industrial Revolution, grain and timber became the main trade of the town. As a market town, the weekly markets (dating back to the 13th century) played an important part in maintaining the prosperity of the town. And today the market stall holders rights date back to medieval times.
The central layout of the town has changed little from medieval times and radiates out from the central market place. From the market place there are some wonderful narrow streets and lanes to explore where may of the properties are older than they look, updated facades hide old timber framed construction and today's tiled roofs used to be thatch.
Lying on the River Bure, the town is too far upstream to get Broads boating traffic.
The town is at the southerly end of Regional Cycle Route 33 running to Cromer which then connects to Regional Cycle Route 30 running around the Norfolk coastline and the National Cycle Network.
- 1 Marroitt's Way. (26 miles) footpath connects the town to Norwich (taking a fairly indirect route)
- 2 Weavers' Way. Long distance footpath (61 miles) Cromer to Great Yarmouth passes to the N of the town.
The town is small enough to explore on foot.
- 1 Blickling Estate, Blickling, NR11 6NF, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Stately home in a 500 acre estate. The house is said to be haunted by several different ghosts, the most famous one being that of Anne Boleyn who at midnight on each 19 May (the anniversary of her execution) is said to return to the hall in a carriage pulled by headless horses carrying her severed head. See Reputedly haunted places for the full story £13.50.
- 2 Alby Crafts & Gardens, Cromer Rd, Erpingham, NR11 7QE (4 miles N of town on A140), ☎ . late Mar-late Oct Tu-Su 10:00-17:00 & Bank Holiday M. Closes 16:00 late Oct-late Mar. Arts and crafts centre surrounded by 4 acres of gardens. Working studios, shops and a gallery. Cafe.
- 3 Aylsham Parish Church.
- 1 Bure Valley Railway, Aylsham Station, Norwich Road, Aylsham, NR11 6BW, ☎ . 2+ trains per day Apr - Oct + other weekends and holidays. 9 mile narrow gauge heritage railway to Wroxham. Also some trains connect with a boat trip on the broads. £12.50 return.
- 2 Redwings Aylsham Visitor Centre (Horse sanctuary & rescue), Henry Page Road, Aylsham. Postcode: NR11 6UE, ☎ . F-M 10:00-16:00. The Nosebag Café. Dogs on leads welcome. Free parking. Gift shop. Picnic area. Disabled parking & toilets. Free.
- 1 Aylsham Market, Market Pl, Aylsham, NR11 6EH, ☎ . M F 08:00-15:00. Twice weekly market.
- 2 Tesco (Superstore/supermarket), 28 Norwich Rd, Aylsham, NR11 6BW, ☎ . M-Sa 07:00-23:00. Su 10:00-16:00. ATMs. Wi-Fi.
- 3 Budgens of Aylsham (Supermarket/Convenience Store), 14 Norwich Rd, Aylsham, NR11 6BN, ☎ . M-Sa 08:00-20:00. Su 10:0016:00.
- 1 Gate of India (Take-away), 14 Market Place, Aylsham, NR11 6EH, ☎ . Daily 12:00-14:00 & 17:30-22:30.
- 2 The Banningham Crown, Colby Rd, Banningham, NR11 7DY (3 miles N of town), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 3 Erpingham Arms (Pub & Restaurant), Eagle Rd, Erpingham, NR11 7QA (3½ miles N of town), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Biddy's Tea Rooms, 16 Market Place, Aylsham, NR11 6EH. M-Sa 09:00-17:00.
- 2 The Feathers (Pub), 54 Cawston Road Aylsham, NR11 6EB, ☎ .
- 3 Alby Horse Shoes Inn, Cromer Rd, Erpingham, NR11 7QE (4 miles N of town on A140), ☎ .
- 1 The Plough Inn, Norwich Rd, Aylsham, NR10 5PS (2 miles S of town), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Double £75-£110 with breakfast..
- 2 Aylsham Lodge, 149 Norwich Rd, Aylsham, NR11 6JH, ☎ . Restaurant. Free Wi-Fi.
- 3 Tinsmith's House (B&B), 23 Oakfield Rd, Aylsham, NR11 6AL, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: after 14:00, check-out: before 11:00.
- 4 The Black Boys Hotel (B&B, Pub & Restaurant), Market Pl, Aylsham, NR11 6EH, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 5 The Buckinghamshire Arms (Pub, Restaurant, Rooms), Blickling, Aylsham NR11 6NF (opp Blickling Hall Entrance), ☎ . Dog friendly.
- 1 Nearest Accident & Emergency: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY (15 miles S of town). 24/7.
- 2 The Market Surgery (GP or Primary Healthcare), 26 Norwich Road, Aylsham, NR11 6BW, ☎ . M-Th 07:30-18:30. F 08:00-18:30.
- 3 Aylsham Dental Practice, 21 Red Lion St, Aylsham, NR11 6ER, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 08:30am-13:00 & 14:00-17:00. F 08:3013:00 & 14:00-16:00.
- 4 Lloyds Pharmacy, 6 Market Place, Aylsham, NR11 6EH, ☎ . M-F 08:30-18:30. Sa 08:30-17:30.
- 5 Post Office, Budgens Aylsham, 14 Norwich Rd, Aylsham, NR11 6BN (inside Budgens). M-Sa 09:00-17:30. Su 10:00-16:00. Limited range of services: M-S 08:00-09:00 & 17:30-20:00 & Su 10:00-16:00.