North Walsham is in Norfolk.
Through the 13th and 14th centuries Flemish weavers settled in the town making it a centre for wool and weaving industries. The town flourished as evidenced by the massive parish Church of St. Nicholas. In the 18th century the church was given an appropriately massive tower (the only higher church tower in the area being Norwich Cathedral). Unfortunately enthusiasm was greater than structural engineering skills and in 1724 the day following a long bell ringing sessions with a particularly heavy set of bells, two sides of the tower collapsed! There have been plans to re-build the tower but all have been abandoned so the tower ruins can still be seen today.
The Market Cross in the centre of town was built as a base for rent collectors for the town market stalls.
Norfolk still takes great pride in the fact that Vice Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson (1771-1805) was born and brought-up in the county. He attended Paston Sixth From College in the town until age 12 (when he went on to Norwich). He later went on to achieve many naval victories, maybe the most famous being at the Battle of Trafalgar (1805).
Today the town is mainly residential, catering for the local population.
- 1 Railway Station, Norwich Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0DZ. Station managed and trains operated by Greater Anglia, on the Bittern Line with trains running to Norwich and to Cromer and Sheringham.
The town is small enough to see and get around on foot.
- 1 Church of St. Nicholas. In the era when the size of your church (and in particular the height of your church tower) reflected the prosperity and status of your town, in 1924 North Walsham truly experienced "pride comes before a fall" as their 2nd highest church tower in the area collapsed; the ruins of the tower still remain today as plans to re-built have never come to fruition. However only the tower collapsed and the church is still in use and can be visited today.
- 1 Victory Swim & Fitness Centre (Gym, Swimming Pool & Studio), Station Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0DZ, ☏ . M-Th 06:30-21:30. F 07:00-21:30. Sa 07:00-18:00. Su 09:00-18:00.
- 2 Strikers (Tenpin Bowling), Aylsham Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0JQ, ☏ . 09:30-late. Adult 1 game £5.20, 2 games £8.80; child 1 game £4.30, 2 games £7.40.
- 3 [dead link] Bacton Woods, 3½ miles E of town. 280 acres of woodland with marked woodland walks & cycle routes. Parking.
- 4 [dead link] Stompers (Children's Adventure Playground), Aylsham Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0JQ, ☏ . Su-Th 09:30-18:00. F Sa 09:30-19:00.
- 1 Sainsbury's (Supermarket), Bacton Rd, North Walsham, NR28 9DS, ☏ . M-Th 08:00-21:00. F Sa 07:30-21:00. Su 10:00-16:00. Petrol station (longer hours). ATMs.
- 2 Lidl (Supermarket), 7 Yarmouth Rd, North Walsham, NR28 9AS. M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 3 Roys (Department Store), Yarmouth Rd, North Walsham, NR28 9BW, ☏ . M Tu 09:00-17:30. W-F 09:00-20:00. Sa 09:00-18:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 1 Three Cottages Fish Restaurant (Restaurant & Take-away), 16 Bacton Rd, North Walsham, NR28 9DR, ☏ . Tu W 11:45-last orders 13:45 & 16:30-last orders 20:00. Th-Sa 11:45-last orders 13:45 & 16:30-last orders 20:30.
- 2 Lambone (Indian Restaurant), 13a Mundesley Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0DA, ☏ . Daily 17:00-22:30.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Chubby Panda (Chinese Restaurant & Take-away), 22 Market St, North Walsham, NR28 9BZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-22:30. F Sa 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-23:00. Su 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-22:30.
- 4 Bocadillo (Baguettes/Sandwiches Take-away), 44 Market Place, North Walsham, NR28 9BT, ☏ (mobile). M-Sa 07:30-14:15.
There are also many take-aways in the town centre.
- 1 Orchard Gardens (Pub), Mundesley Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0D, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 15:00-late. F 13:00-late. Sa Su 12:00-late. Th Quiz Night.
- 2 The White Swan (Pub), 12 Church St, North Walsham, NR28 9DA, ☏ .
- 3 The Cosy Cafe, 1 Mitre Tavern Yard, North Walsham, NR28 9BN, ☏ (mobile).
- 4 Christopher's Cafe & Bakery, 4 Church St, North Walsham, NR28 9DA, ☏ . M-Sa 08:30-16:00.
- 1 Beechwood Hotel & Restaurant, 20 Cromer Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0HD, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: from 14:30, check-out: by 10:30. F & Sa min. 2 night stays. Dogs charged £12 per night. Double £100-£175.
- 2 The King's Arms Hotel, 1 King's Arms St, North Walsham, NR28 9JX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Single room £36 per night. Twin/double £56 per night.
- 3 Chimneys (B&B), 51 Cromer Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0HB, ☏ . Check-in: from 16:00, check-out: by 11:00. Pets by prior arrangement (only in some rooms).
- 4 [dead link] Bradfield House (B&B), 19 Station Rd, North Walsham, NR28 0DZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Cash or cheque (no card payment). Free Wi-Fi. from £32.50 per person per night.
- 2 Post Office, New Rd, North Walsham, NR28 9AA. M 09:00-17:30. T 09:30-17:30. W-F 09:00-17:30. Sa 09:00-12:30..