Wroxham and Hoveton are towns in Norfolk.
These are two separate towns on either side of the River Bure that have now expanded such that only the river now separates them (and from a traveller's perspective they are considered a single destination); they are connected by a road, foot and rail bridges. Wroxham is unofficially often known as "Capital of the Broads", though in practice Hoveton has the vast majority of marinas, boat yards and boat hire centres, and most of the commercial activity.
Both towns have a lot for tourists are can get quite busy during the height of summer. The River Bure from the town and downstream can also get busy through high season. However, the road bridge connecting the towns is quite low and upstream the river is generally quieter as the larger cruisers are unable to get under the low bridge.
The A1151 main road connects the towns to Norwich to the S (9 miles to the SW) and runs on to the NE to other local towns. The B1354 connects the towns to Coltishall (2½ miles to the NW) and the A1062 connects the towns to Horning (3 miles to the E) and on to Ludham and Potter Heighham (9 miles to the E).
- 4 Railway Station, Station Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UR. Station and rail services provided by Greater Anglia. station on the Bittern Line running from Norwich to Cromer & Sheringham.
The towns lie on the River Bure and are in the Norfolk Broads National Park (at least the river bank parts of the towns lie within the National Park). There are both commercial marinas (private) and some free Broads Authority moorings in and close to the towns. The river can get busy in the height of the summer holiday season.
The towns are small enough to see on foot.
- 1 Wroxham Minature Worlds (Indoor Model (Railways) Attraction/Exhibition), Station Business Park, Horning Rd West, Hoveton NR12 8QJ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Adults £9.93; Children (5+) £6.95; Concessions £9.95.
- 1 BeWILDerwood (Forest Family Adventure), Horning Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8JW, ☏ , ✉ explore@BeWILDerwood.co.uk. Treehouses, zip wires, jungle bridges, Crocklebogs, Twiggles and Boggles, storytelling, boat trips, bike hire, marsh walks, etc.
- 2 Bure Valley Railway (Steam railway line between Aylsham and Hoveton), ☏ .
- 3 Broadland Cycle Hire Centre (Between Hoveton and Horning on the A1062 at BeWILDerwood), ☏ (mobile).
- 4 Broadland Cycle Hire Automated Station, Station Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UR, ☏ (to book). 24/7. Call in advance to book and get PIN to release bike from station.
- 5 Barton House Railway (Miniature ride on railway & railway artefact museum), Hartwell Rd, The Avenue, Wroxham, NR12 8TL, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Adults £3.00; Children £1.50.
- 6 Wroxham Barns, Tunstead Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8QU, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00-17:00 (closes at dusk in winter). Junior farm (incl. bottle feeding lambs). Children's fun-fair. Shops and crafts. Restaurants and cafés. Free parking.
If out on the water on the River Bure in the Wroxham/Hoveton/Salhouse area, keep your eye's open for the "Ice Cream Boat" (you'll know it when you see it - selling ice creams to those in boats or on the shore.
- 7 Wroxham Boat Hire, The Broads Centre, Riverside Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UD, ☏ . High Season: 1 hr £20 to 4hrs £65; Low Season: 1 hr £20 to 4 hrs £65. Day boat and Canadian canoe hire.
- 8 Barnes Brinkcraft, Riverside Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Summer: Daily 08:00-17:00. Winter: M-F 08:00-17:00. Sa 09:00-16:00. Cruiser and day boat hire
- 9 Broads Tours, The Bridge, Wroxham, NR12 8RX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Ma-Octdaily 08:00-17:30; Nov-Feb M-F 08:00-17:30. Sa 09:00-14:00. Su 10:00-15:00. Day boat hire and river trips.
- 10 Richardson’s Day Boat Hire, The Rhond, Hoveton, NR12 8UD, ☏ . Various different day boats.
- 11 Wroxham Launch Hire (Day boat hire), King's Staithe, The Bridge, Hoveton, NR12 8DA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 12 [dead link] Salhouse Broad Canoe & Kayak Hire, Lower St, Salhouse NR13 6RX (3 miles SE of towns (by road)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Roys (Department Store), Stalham Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8DB, ☏ . M-F 09:00-20:00. Sa 09:00-18:00. Su 10:30-16:30 (browsing from 10:00). Department store, and nearby garden centre, toy store, food hall, petrol station. Known as "the world's largest village store".
- 2 Nisa (Convenience Store), Riverside Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8AJ, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 09:00-21:00.
- 1 Ken's Traditional Fish & Chips (Restaurant & Take-away), The Bridge, 63 Norwich Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8DA, ☏ . Summer: M-Sa 11:30-14:30 & 16:30-19:30. Su 11:30-18:00.
- 2 The Old Mill (Restaurant & Café Bar), Norwich Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8DA, ☏ . Free Wi-Fi. Riverside.
- 3 Yim Siam (Thai Restaurant), Riverside Centre, Hoveton, NR12 8AJ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 12:0015:00 & 17:30-22:00. Su M 17:30-22:00.
- 4 Wherryman's (Restaurant), The Bridge, Norwich Rd, Wroxham, NR12 8RX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Jun-Sept: 09:00-21:00; Apr, May & Oct 09:00-15:30. e.g. Pizza £8; 8oz steak £15..
- 5 The Station Smokehouse (Restaurant), Station Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UT, ☏ . Hand made burgers, smoked meats cooked over a fire.
- 1 No 14 Coffee, Number 14, Norwich Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8DA, ☏ . M-Sa 09:00-16:00. Su 10.00-16:00.
- 2 The River Kitchen (Café & Restaurant), Riverside Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 09:00-15:30. Sa Su 09:00-16:00.
- 3 The King's Head Hotel (Restaurant & Bar), Station Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8UR, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 The Boatshed (Bar & Food), Staitheway Rd, Wroxham, NR12 8TH, ☏ . M-F16:00-23:00. Sa Su 1:00-23:00. (Food Th F18:00-22:00. Sa 13:00-15:00 & 18:00-22:00).
- 5 Bijou (Wine Bar, wine shop & Delicatessen), Station Business Park, Horning Rd West, Hoveton, NR12 8QJ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu W 10:00-18:00. Th-Sa 10:00-late..
- 1 Hotel Wroxham, The Wroxham, The Bridge, Hoveton, NR12 8AJ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Delaware Wroxham (B&B), Tunstead Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8QN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: by 10:00, check-out: 16:00-21:30. AA 4*. No children under 14. No pets. £65-£75 per night (2 people sharing).
- 3 St Gregory's (B&B), 11 Stalham Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8DG, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Double/twin £75 per night (single occupancy £55).
- 4 The Coach House (B&B), 96 Norwich Rd, Wroxham, NR12 8RY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. No children. No pets. Single occupancy from £70. Double occupancy from £90..
- 5 Wroxham Park Lodge (Guest House), 142 Norwich Rd, Wroxham, NR12 8SA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Double/twin £68-£70. Single £48-£50.
- 6 The Vineries (B&B), 72 Stalham Rd, Hoveton, NR12 8D, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. £75 per couple per night.
- 7 Salhouse Broad Camping, Lower St, Salhouse NR13 6RX (3 miles SE of towns (by road)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pitches and camping "pods"
- 5 Post Office, Broads Centre, Hoveton, NR12 8AJ.