Potter Heigham is in Norfolk.
The village lies on the River Thurne the Broads (although the village is just outside the park boundary). Most people will know the village for its famous mediaeval bridge dating from 1385 - one of the lowest and narrowest navigable bridges on the Broads. The bridge represents such a "challenge" to boat owners that hire craft that can pass are required to use the services of a pilot. Larger hire craft are not permitted to pass the bridge (on hiring a boat the skipper will be advised if the boat can pass under the bridge).
There are actually two road bridges across the River Thurne at Potter Heigham. The larger one carrying the A149 is modern and does not have the same constraints or reputation as the older bridge.
Most vistors to the area will be there to either hire a boat or as part of their boating holiday on the Broads.
The village is said to have its own haunting, taking place each 31 May at midnight at the old bridge. Each year the sound of hooves, screech of wheels and a firey coach appears on the bridge at midnight. See Reputedly haunted places for the full story.
The village lies on the A149 main road running to Great Yarmouth (13 miles) to the SE and to Stalham and Sutton, North Walsham and on to Cromer (22 miles) to the NW. Acle and the main A47 is 7 miles to the S.
The villages is on the River Thurne, downstream from Hickling Broad (via Heigham Sound). Downstream from the village the river passes Womack Water and Ludham (base of the restored Norfolk wherry Albion). The Broads Authority provide a few free moorings for the village at Martham Bank and Repps Bank each for around 14 boats.
The village is small enough to see on foot.
- 1 Potter Heigham Bridge (Mediaeval Bridge).
- 2 Church of St Nicholas (Round Tower Church). Dates from 12th century
- 3 Heigham Holmes Windpump, Martham Staithe, Ferrygate Lane, Martham (6 miles (by road) E of village), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Wind Energy Museum, Staithe Rd, Repps With Bastwick, NR29 5JU, ☏ (mobile).
- 1 Herbert Woods, Broads Haven, Bridge Rd, Potter Heigham, NR29 5JF, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 08:00-18:00. Su 09:00-17:00. £17-£140 depending on season and duration.
- 2 MayCraft, North West Riverbank, Potter Heigham, NR29 5ND, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Phoenix Fleet (Dayboat & Canoe Hire), Repps Staithe Boatyard, Potter Heigham, NR29 5JD, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Lathams (Department Store), Bridge St, Potter Heigham, NR29 5JE, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 08:30-19:00. Su 10:00-16:00 (from 9.30am for browsing).
- 1 BridgeStones (Tea Rooms & Restaurant), Bridge Rd, Potter Heigham, NR29 5JD, ☏ . Free Wi-Fi.
- 2 Falgate Inn (Pub & Food), ☏ .
- 3 The Kings Arms (Pub & Food), 15 The Green Martham, ☏ . Tu-Th 12:00-22:30. F-Su 12:00-23:00.
- 4 Victoria Inn (Pub), 12 Repps Rd, Martham, Nr29 4QT, ☏ .
- 1 Willowcroft (Camping & Caravan Park), Staithe Rd, Repps-with-Bastwick, NR29 5JU, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: after 12:00, check-out: by 12:00. Dogs allowed (free). Pitch fee £8.Adults £6. Children (over 5) £4.
- 5 Post Office, Bridge Rd, Potter Heigham, NR29 5JB.