The town is named after the word for a clearing in an oak forest. In Tudor times many Oak trees from the area were used to built Elizabeth I's navy. With a population of nearly 3,000 the town lies midway between Norwich and Great Yarmouth. It lies on an important road route having the only bridge across the River Bure between Great Yarmouth and Wroxham and Hoveton.
The town lies on the A47 main road between Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Local roads link the town to nearby villages including Potter Heigham and Wroxham and Hoveton. Note that the single carriageway section of the A47 between the town and Great Yarmouth (known as 'the Acle Straight is an accident blackspot so take particular care).
- 1 Acle Railway Station, Station Rd, Acle, NR13 3BZ. On the Wherry Line between Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Rail links operated by (Abellio) Greater Anglia.
First Group X1 & X11 services run from Norwich to Great Yarmouth (and beyond) through the town.
The town lies on the River Bure between Great Yarmouth and the Northern Broads (Wroxham, Barton Broad, Hickling Broad, River Ant, River Thurne, etc.).
- 1 Acle Marina, Boat Dyke Lane, Acle, NR13 3AZ, ☏ .
- 2 Weaver's Way. long distance footpath (61 miles) runs from Cromer to Great Yarmouth through the town
The town is small enough to explore on foot.
- 1 Fairhaven Woodland and Water Garden, School Rd, South Walsham, NR13 6DZ (3 miles NW of town), ☏ . Daily 10:00-17:00 (Mar-Sept). 10:00-16:00 (Oct-Feb). 130 acres of cultivated & wild natural plantings. 4 miles of woodland paths. Private Broad. £6.75 (adult). £6.15 (concessions). £3.85 (children).
- 2 Parish church of St Edmund. round-tower church
- 1 Woodland Park Equestrian Centre (Riding School/Club), Low Farm, Low Rd, South Walsham, NR13 6EQ (3 miles N of town), ☏ .
- 1 Co-op (Supermarket/Convenience store), Main St, Acle, NR13 3QJ, ☏ . Daily 07:00-22:00.
- 2 The Studio Art Gallery, The Street, Acle, NR13 3DY, ☏ . Tu-F 10:00-16:00. Sa-Su 10:00-14:00. Primarily wildlife art but also other artists works.
- 1 The Olive Tree (Pizza take-away), 23 Old Rd, Acle, NR13 3QL, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 17:00-23:00. F Sa 12:00-14:30 & 17:00-23:00. Su 17:00-23:00.
- 2 Acle Spice (Indian take-away), 27 Old Bank House, The Street, Acle, NR13 3DY, ☏ . Daily 17:00-23:00.
- 1 Travelodge, A47 Roundabout, Acle Bypass, Acle, NR13 3BE, ☏ . Check-in: From 15:00 (from 12:00 charged for)., check-out: By 12:00 (by 14:00 charged for).. Limited free parking. Food nearby. Wi-Fi (charged for beyond 30 mins).
- 2 Kings Head (B&B), The Street, Acle, NR13 3DY, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi (in public areas). On-site parking. Bar.
- 2 Nearest Accident & Emergency: James Paget University Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth, NR31 6LA (12 miles SE of town.). 24/7.
- 3 Acle Medical Partnership (GP or Primary Healthcare), Acle Medical Centre, Bridewell Lane, Acle, NR13 3RA, ☏ . M-F 08:30-13:00 & 14:00-18:30..
- 4 Acle Dental Surgery (Dentist), The Green, Acle, NR13 3QX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 09:00-12:30 & 13:30-17:00 & 17:30-19:00. Tu 09:00-12:30 & 13:30-17:00. W 10:00-12:30 & 13:30-17:00. Th 09:00-12:30 & 13:30 - 17:00. F 09:00-12:30.
- 5 Well (Pharmacy), The Street, Acle, NR133DY, ☏ . M-F 09:00-18:00. Sa 09:00-13:00.
- 6 Post Office, 2 Priory Close, Acle, NR13 3AA. M-F 09:00-17:30. Sa 09:00-15:00.
|Routes through Acle|
|Norwich ←||W E||→ Great Yarmouth|