Abisko is a popular outdoor destination due to its proximity to nature and relatively easy accessibility. Abisko is near many great national parks and hosts a trailhead on the spectacular Kungsleden hiking trail; at the same time, it is on the malmbanan railway between Narvik in Norway and Luleå, which means it can be reached by an overnight train from Stockholm quite easily. Abisko village is around the train station "Abisko Östra" and the large and well equipped hostel/hotel "Abisko turiststation" at the train station of the same name, two kilometres further west.
Abisko is located 100 km northwest of Kiruna and is easily accessible by car by the European route E10.
The two nightly trains from Stockholm to Narvik stop in Abisko. One is direct, whereas the other has a change in Boden. There are also two daily trains from Luleå or Narvik. Timetables can be found through Samtrafiken (look for Nr. 30, Narvik-Kiruna-Boden-Luleå).
There is a chair lift up Nuolja mountain operating in the summer from the tourist station. It also runs from 8pm to midnight during the aurora season and is operated by the nearby STF hostel.
Abisko is a great place to observe Northern lights thanks to the location within the Auroral belt and its relative dry climate and low cloudiness. Aurora Sky Station (a part of STF Abisko Mountain Station) is located on the top of the mountain Nuolja and can be reached by a 10 min walk from STF Mountain Station and from there by a chair-lift.
- Aurora Sky Station, STF Abisko Mountain Station, Sweden, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. In 2013/2014 winter season: Sep 5 - Sep 28 and Nov 1 - Nov 30: Thu-Sat 21:00-1:00; Guided tour: 22:00, 22:30, 23:00 and 23:30. Dec 1-Mar 30 Mon - Sun (except Dec 24 and Dec 31): 21:00-1:00; Guided tour 22:00, 22:30, 23:00 and 23:30. The night visit to the station includes return ticket by chair-lift, guided tour and an aurora watchers overall. Alternatively, an aurora photo tour with professional photographers can be arranged.. Sep, Nov 625 SEK, STF member: 525 SEK; Dec-Mar 695 SEK, STF member: 595 SEK.
The tourist camp organises various activities throughout the year, but the real attraction is hiking either on the Kungsleden or the many other trails, out in the spectacular wilderness of the national parks of the area. Winter offers cross country skiing and even some alpine skiing. There is a chair lift on Nuolja and two more alpine areas nearby at Björkliden and Riksgränsen.
There is a rather well equipped shop near Abisko Östra station, which is both stocked up with food and drinks, but also hiking/sporting equipment. The shop at the tourist station caters for hikers' daily needs and also carries a selection of outdoor equipment.
- Tjuonavagge, Abisko Östra (Inside the tourist station). Serves up great organic food, buffet style, taking inspiration from the nature around it - raindeer meat with cloudberry jam anyone?
The Storstugan pub inside the tourist station is the friendliest place in town, rather fortunate, since it's also the only place in town, to go for a drink.
There's a bed'n'breakfast in Abisko village, as well as some summer cottages. The tourist station has both Hostel, Hotel and Cottage accommodation available. It is run by STF, Svenska Turistföreningen; as accommodation is considerably cheaper for members it may be advisable to sign up for membership before booking. Membership is also available at the reception. There is also a camping ground - although the Every man's right basically entitles you to sleep anywhere except in the Abisko national park), as there isn't really any cultivated lands.
- STF Mountain Station Abisko.
- Abisko Fjällturer, ☎ . Lonely Planet describes it as a "backpackers delight", and few would disagree. Good-value accommodation in twin and dormitory-styles rooms.. 250 SEK.
- Abisko Mountain Lodge, Lapportsvägen 35 Box 86, SE-981 07 Abisko, ☎ . Abisko Mountain Lodge is a small hotel surrounded by cosy cabins that offers a relaxation only possible in a rustic setting.. 990 SEK.
STF Abisko (Abisko Tourist station) +46 0980-402 00, email@example.com.
- Narvik, Norway
|Routes through Abisko|
|Lofoten ← Narvik ←||W E||→ Kiruna → Luleå|