For the more active traveller, Europe provides excellent opportunities for long distance walking, where you can follow long-distance walking trails and take in some of Europe's finest scenery, while getting fit at the same time. Whether going on a trans-continental odyssey or a leisurely weekend stroll, you will find a trail to suit you. There are eleven continental trails in Europe, which are in varying stages of completion. These paths are comprised of smaller national paths, which may be enjoyable travel experiences of themselves. It's recommended that you read up on help and advice before setting off on a long distance walking holiday. You will have a fantastic time, but always be prepared for the worst, and take the best kit with you that you can find. The markings are not uniform, and some parts may be missing.
The paths are coordinated by the European Ramblers Organization (ERA), also known as Europäische Wandervereinigung (EWV) and Féderation Européenne de la Randonnée Pédestre (FERP), but the responsibility for the individual sections is by national organisations in the countries the path leads through.
In addition to these routes, there are regional and national path networks (see e.g. Walking in the United Kingdom), the Grande Randonnée paths and pilgrim paths such as the Way of Saint James or the St. Olav's Way. These may be partly integrated in the E-paths. For individual paths see also Rheinsteig, Rheinburgenweg, Pieterpad and Nordkalottleden.
The long-distance routes are as follows:
- Current length: 4900 km.
- Current length: 4850 km.
- E3 Black Sea - Iberia. This path is planned to connect Istanbul, Turkey to Cape St. Vincent, Portugal.
- Current length: 6950 km.
- Current length: 10450 km.
- E5 Atlantic-Adriatic. This path connects Pointe du Raz, Brittany, France to Venice via Brest, Mont St Michel, Fontainebleau, Ballon d'Alsace and Lake Constance.
- Complete sections: Complete.
- Completed length: 3050 km.
- E6 Scandinavia-Dardanelles. This path is planned to connect Kilpisjärvi, Finland to Dardanelles, Turkey.
- Current length: 5200 km.
- Current length: 4330 km.
- E8 Atlantic to Istanbul. This path is planned to connect Dursey Head in West Cork, Ireland to Istanbul.
- Current length: 4390 km.
- Current length: 2880 km.
- E11 hiking trail. This path connects Scheveningen (The Hague), in the Netherlands through Germany and Poland to Lithuania.
- Current length: 2560 km.