Frankfurt an der Oder (Abbreviated as: Frankfurt (Oder) or sometimes Frankfurt/Oder) is on the Oder River in Brandenburg, a state of Germany. It lies directly on the border with Poland, and is connected via bridge to its Polish sister city Slubice. The city is occasionally mistaken to be the much larger, and more well-known Frankfurt am Main.
Regional Express Trains run from Berlin once every hour and the ride is just a little over an hour to Frankfurt. There is also a EuroCity (EC) Train that runs from Berlin through Frankfurt on its way to Poland, but this is significantly more expensive than the commuter train.
Take the A 12 from Berlin
There is a local bus as well as a streetcar system but the town isn't all that big so its easy to walk everywhere.
- 1 Marienkirche. famous for its medieval window picturing the Antichrist's life. The only known depiction of the story of the Anti-Christ from the Bible. It is on display in the Rathaus (town hall) but should soon be on display in the church. The director of the restoration of this church, Hans-Dieter Laube tells a fascinating story about the window pane and the history of the town in general, however he speaks only German so that could be a problem, but if you can speak the language it's worth while to stop and speak with him.
- 2 Heilandskapelle, Akazienweg 31. Wooden church built during the first world war by mainly Russian prisoners of war in the Karelian style.
- 3 Rathaus (town hall), Marktplatz 1. Gothic architecture
- Post office. neo-Gothic architecture
- 6 Museum junge Kunst, Carl-Philipp-Emanuel-Bach-Str. 11, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 Museum Viadrina, Carl-Philipp-Emanuel-Bach-Str. 11, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Bewirtung 1900, Leipziger Platz 1, ☎ .
- Turm24, Logenstraße 8 (24 floor of Oderturm), ☎ .
- Rathauskeller, Marktplatz 2, ☎ .
- Café Diana, Marktplatz 4 (Rathaus), ☎ .
- Brunnencafé, Karl-Marx-Straße 8 (Brunnenplatz), ☎ .
- Frankfurter Kartoffelhaus, Holzmarkt 7, ☎ . plenty of potato dishes
- Olympia, Große Scharrnstraße 60 (Brunnenplatz), ☎ . Greek
- Restaurant Kontor Frankfurt(Oder), Fischerstr.32, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 17:00 - 22:00. The Restaurant Kontor is located in City Park area near to Oder Promenade (Ziegen Werder) , Restaurant Kontor is Popular for fresh seasonal food. €.
- City Residence Hotel Frankfurt-Oder, Bahnhofstrasse 11, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 07:00, check-out: 11:00. Centrally located, offers free Wi-Fi. Behind the bright red exterior guests will find cosy rooms with contemporary décor. The hotel offers a modern private bathroom, and some apartments also feature a seating area. Frankfurt Oder Train Station is 200 metres from the hotel. Drivers will find free private parking available on site.
- Hotel Grünhof, August-Bebel-Straße 54, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gasthof Goldener Hahn, Marie-Curie-Straße 10, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Pension am Kleistpark Elke Wagner, Humboltstraße 14. Doppelzimmer: 52 EUR.
- Campingplatz Wolff, Neue Siedlung 18, 15326 Alt Zeschdorf ca. 10km nördlich von Frankfurt/Oder, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- City Park Hotel, Lindenstraße 12, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- RAMADA Hotel, Turmstr. 1, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frankfurt has a lot to offer for a day visit, but if you do not speak German you are very limited in what you can do. While there are some English speakers in the town, many people do not speak English since this is very deep in the former GDR/DDR. If you are looking to practice your German and see some out of the way places this is the place to go, but if you don't speak German and are looking for tourist type stuff, there are better destinations to visit.