This article covers a broad, sparsely-populated rural area in the "Land O Lakes" region of southeastern Ontario.
Addington Highlands includes the tiny villages Denbigh, Flinton, Kaladar, and Northbrook and part of the village of Cloyne. The remainder of Cloyne is in North Frontenac (pop 2000), which is just as rural (with a few tiny villages such as Plevna and Ompah).
This area was first settled by Europeans following the construction of the Addington Road in 1857.
Driving is easiest and only way to get around. Roads in the area during the winter can be treacherous.
- 1 Cloyne Pioneer Museum and Archives, 14232 Hwy 41, Cloyne, ☏ .
- 2 Bon Echo Provincial Park, Hwy 41, north of Cloyne. A provincial park with several lakes and Indigenous pictographs that can be seen on Mazinaw Rock from the lake. Rock climbing, camping, hiking, boating and swimming are some of the activities to do in the park. Boat launch, canoe and kayak rentals are available.
- Astronomy - Addington County's dark sky viewing area is 7980 Highway 41, Erinsville on the south side of the 1 Sheffield Conservation Area; there's also a dark sky preserve across the county line in North Frontenac at 5816 Highway 506 near Plevna. The viewing areas have parking and a large concrete pad for camera or telescope setup; they are in highly-rural areas to escape the light pollution of the cities.
- The old Canadian Pacific Railway bed passing through the town has become part of the Trans Canada Trail.
- Grand's General Store, 14222 Highway 41, Cloyne, ☏ . 8AM-8PM. Pizza, ice cream, groceries.
- Marble Lake Lodge Restaurant (Hungry Moose), 1005 Marble Lake Rd, Cloyne, ☏ . Fresh stone-baked pizza. Burgers, wraps, etc. The restaurant is fully licensed and has live music most weekends.
- 1 Mazinaw Residence Inn, 14276 Hwy 41, Cloyne, ☏ . Hotel with restaurant and sports bar. $75/double, +$10 per extra person.
- Marble Lake Lodge Camping and Cottages, 1005 Marble Lake Road, Cloyne, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 2- and 3-bedroom cottages overlooking the lake sleep 4-6 adults. All have a two piece bath, a fully equipped kitchen, screen porches or decks overlooking the water. With hook-up for RV/trailer: $50/night, $350/week; no hook-up for RV/trailer: $40/night, $250/week; tenting sites (1-2 tents): $30/night, $200/week; cottages $100-150/night, $550-750/week.
- The Addington Highlands Public Library provides free Wi-Fi during branch hours in Flinton (3641 Flinton Rd, +1 613-336-1091) and Denbigh (Addington Highlands Community Centre, 31 Central St, +1 613-333-1426).
- The Kingston Frontenac Public Library provides free Wi-Fi during branch hours in Cloyne (1011 Little Pond Rd, +1 613-336-8744).
|Routes through Addington Highlands|
|Peterborough ← Tweed ←||W E||→ Perth → Ottawa|
|END ← Pembroke ←||N S||→ Napanee → END|