Ahmedabad West Zone is in the metropolitan city of Ahmedabad. It consists of areas of Motera, Chandkheda, Sabarmati, Vadaj, Usmanpura, Navrangpura, Ambawadi, Paldi, Vasna, etc.
From airport to West Zone areas
- Areas of Motera, Chandkheda and Sabarmati can be accessed through Airport -> Airport Road -> Airport Circle -> Indira Bridge -> SP Ring Road -> Tapovan Circle -> Visat - Gandhinagar Highway.
- Areas of Vadaj, Usmanpura, Navrangpura, Ambawadi, Paldi, etc. can be accessed through Airport -> Airport Road -> Shahibaug -> Dudheshwar -> Ashram Road.
- Areas near Vasna can be accessed through Airport -> Airport Road -> Shahibaug -> Dudheshwar -> Subhash Bridge -> 132 ft Ring Road.
Some trains esp. those from Delhi/Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh stop at Sabarmati. There are 2 railway stations named Sabarmati Railway Station or Sabarmati Junction. The one with station code 1 SBI (located in Sabarmati area). is for Northern trains (Delhi/Rajasthan) and the other with station code 2 SBT (located in Ranip area). is for Central trains. Not all trains passing through these stations stop here i.e. they might just pass by. So confirm through Indian Rail if the official stop is mentioned. If not, you will have to get down at the main Ahmedabad Railway Station (Station code: ADI) in Kalupur area in Central Zone. From there, you may find a train going to Sabarmati (it takes 10-15 min). Otherwise, city bus services of BRTS and AMTS are available.
From railway stations to West Zone areas
Ahmedabad Railway Station (ADI)
It is located in the area of Kalupur (Central Zone). It has a road-side Janmarg BRTS stand within the campus of the railway station, which is just outside the main entrance of the railway station. It is directly served by BRTS buses on the Line no. 9 towards RTO Circle and towards Ellisbridge and Line no. 10 towards Vasna. AMTS also directly serves the station to various parts of the city.
Sabarmati Junction (SBI)
It is located in the neighbourhood of Sabarmati, is served by BRTS buses through the BRTS stations of either Sabarmati Powerhouse (closer to the railway station) or Sabarmati Police station, both on Line no. 8 towards Maninagar and towards Visat Junction (serving the suburb of Chandkheda. It is also served by AMTS buses directly.
By state bus (GSRTC)
4 Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC). has its main bus terminus at Gita Mandir in Central Zone. But, there are various stops in the city itself. In West Zone, Sabarmati, Vadaj and Paldi are the stops. But the bus will only reach here if they are in the route. For example, a bus from South Gujarat will stop at these places if it has further journey North i.e. more towns after Ahmedabad in North Gujarat such as Gandhinagar, Ambaji, Palanpur, etc. It's better to ask the bus conductor about the stops, or the most viable stop for you according to where you want to go next.
By city bus (AMTS)
A lot of AMTS buses are available on several routes. Old Vadaj (Juna Vadaj) is an AMTS depot. Also buses are available to/fro SVP International Airport in North Zone.
By city bus (BRTS)
BRTS buses are faster than AMTS due to dedicated lanes in the roads' central portion. Choose them over AMTS whenever the option is available.
Note: All the BRTS buses and the stations are wheel-chair accessible, as the floor of the gate of the bus is of the same level as the platform of the stations, and there are ramps from road to the elevated platforms on the stations; EXCEPT those of RTO Circle and Kalupur Railway Station, which are road side shelters unlike the standard BRTS stations.
- Line 8, from Maninagar (South Zone), covering a wide portion of 132 ft Ring Road, serves Motera-Chandkheda ending at 'Chandkheda Gam' station.
- Line 2, from Naroda (North Zone), and Line 10, from Kalupur (Central Zone), serves Vasna ending at 'Anjali Cross Roads' station.
- Line 9, from RTO Circle (West Zone), serves Vadaj (via Juna Vadaj station), ending at 'Townhall (Ellisbridge)' station in the Ellisbridge area. But this route reaches Ellisbridge after passing through Kalupur in Central Zone which makes the portion a U-shape. Also this route is a heavy-traffic zone, and considerable portion of the route is not having dedicated BRTS lanes, so the buses have to travel in Mix Traffic mode i.e. along with the other vehicles.
- 1 Gandhi Aashram (Sabarmati Ashram), Located near Vadaj on Ashram Road, ☎ . the Sabarmati Aashram was once house of Mahatma Gandhi. The ashram was founded by Mahatma Gandhi in 1915, and today without doubt, it is the biggest tourist attraction in Ahmedabad. It lies on the tranquil stretch of the Sabarmati river and was referred to as the Satyagraha Ashram during the lifetime of the Mahatma. It was from here, that the Mahatma began his famous 'Dandi March' in 1930 to protest against the Salt Tax imposed by the British. One can see the three wise monkeys and many more of Gandhiji's teachings at the ashram premises. The ashram today continues the work started by Mahatma and houses a handicrafts centre, a handmade paper factory and a spinning wheel factory. Besides, there are several other attractions for the tourist. Free.
- 2 Motera Stadium. Located in Motera, Sardar Patel Gujarat Cricket Stadium is an international cricket stadium. Several matches have been played here and most of the important matches in Gujarat are held here. Watching Team India play here is a wonderful sight as thousands of fans cheer for them.
- 3 Amdavad ni Gufa (Caves of Ahmedabad), University Area (Opposite L.D Engineering, Gujarat University,), ☎ . 04:00-20:00. is an underground art gallery near Gujarat University in Navrangpura. Designed by the architect Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi, it exhibits works of the Indian artist Maqbool Fida Hussain. The gallery represents a unique juxtaposition of architecture and art. There are facilities for special painting exhibitions and for projecting films. Gardens and Zen café are located above ground.
- 4 Law Garden Handicraft Market, Netaji Road, Maharashtra Society, Ellisbridge. Considered the main centre of activity in Ahmedabad, one can purchase handcrafts and traditional Gujarati outfits, amongst other things. Free.
- 5 Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum (Near Gujarat University, Navrangpura), ☎ . It is one of the best arts displaying museum in city. It has a wide collection of Indian miniature paintings, stone sculptures, terracotta, paintings of Tagore, art of Nepal and Tibet, bronzes, textiles, wood work, cloth paintings, metal sculptures, coins.
- L. D. Institute of Indology. Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Institute of Indology was established in Ahmedabad by Muni Shri Punyavijayji and Shri Kasturbhai Lalbhai. The museum houses priceless collection of books, manuscripts and other reference material from ancient India.The museum is a treasure trove of manuscripts relating to Jainism. In all there are about 45,000 printed books with 75,000 manuscripts including out of which 500 are illustrated ones. These documents from the past cover a wide range of subjects like Vedas, Agamas, Buddhism, Tantras, Jain Darshana, System of Indian Philoshy, Jaina Philoshpy, Grammar and Poetics etc.The institute has also published seven volumes of catalogues in languages like Hindi, Sanskrit, Old Gujrati, Prakrit and Rajasthani. The institute also conducts periodical workshops on manuscriptology and paleography.
- 6 Veechar Utensil Museum, Opposite A P M C Market Vasna, Vishala, ☎ . the only museum in the country showcasing over 3000 utensils used by the various households in India. The lack of labels or explanation gives it the air of a rusty junkyard. Is part of Vishalla, a restaurant serving ethnic Gujarati Food.
- 7 National Institute of Design, Located in Paldi (Opp Tagore Hall), ☎ . India's Premier Design Institute with over 16 disciplines of Design.
- 8 Parimal Garden, Chimanlal Girdharlal Road, Panchavati Society, Gulbai Tekra. A public park with nice green surroundings. A good place to jog and relax.
- 9 Sanskar Kendra:Ahmedabad City Museum (Karnavati: Atit ni Zankhi), Paldi-Kocharab (Located near National Institute of Design, west end of Sardar Bridge), ☎ . it is a history, art and cultural museum dedicated to Ahmedabad. It has small separate kite museum. The building was designed by French architect Le Corbusier and was originally intended as a cultural centre with roof top garden.
- 10 Saiyyad Usman's Mosque & Tomb (Usmanpura Mosque), Nr. Usmanpura Cross Roads.
- Rani Masjid, Paldi.
- 11 Rauza of Azam Khan-Mauzzam Khan, Opp. Vasna AMTS Bus Stand. Brick Tomb of generals
- Shreyas Foundation Museums. Four Museums are located on the campus; Gujarati Culture, dolls, music instruments and arts. It also houses a school and small deer park.
- Yog Sadhan Ashram (Swami Manuvaryaji's Yogashram), opp. Ellisbridge Arogya Samiti (Pritamnagar Akhada) (500 mtr walk from Kochrab Ashram (paldi)), ☎ . 6 am to 7 pm. Do Yoga or get cured by Yoga Therapy at Yog Sadhan Ashram, An oldest institute of Yoga Education and Therapeutic Research founded By His Holiness Brahmaleen Swami Shri Manuvaryaji Maharaj.
- Watch a play or a film at Natrani Amphitheatre, a part of Darpana Academy of Performing Arts is at Usmanpura on Ashram Road. This open air theatre has a beautiful ambience, as it overlooks the Sabarmati river. The Academy was established by Mrinalini Sarabhai and Vikram Sarabhai in 1949. Every evening either drama or film showcase screenings are held. SHAMIANA Ahmedabad holds its short film screenings here, once every month. It also has the Natrani Cafe, which serves Italian food and has a very pleasant environment.
- Watch a cricket match at Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium, located in Motera.
- Spend time / fly kites on mornings and evenings on the Sabarmati Riverfront that lines along the banks of Sabarmati River. It can be accessed through Subhash Bridge, that connects Sabarmati and Shahibaug (Central Zone). When the bridge ends on the Shahibaug end, take a right turn at the next lane, which takes you to the Riverfront.
- Relax / jog at Parimal Garden, C G Road. It is a public park with good surroundings.
Watch a Bollywood (Hindi) / Hollywood film:
- 1 Grand Cinemas (Cine Grand), Shree Balaji Agora Mall, Sardar Patel Ring Road, Gandhi Nagar, Highway, Village Sugad (Near Tapowan Circle), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Dubai - fame Grand Cinemas. Very good quality screens, located on North - Western periphery of Ahmedabad in a high - end mall (Agora Mall).
- 2 City Gold (Ashram Road), Ashram Road, Muslim Society, Ellisbridge (Opp. Shiv Cinema), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- City Gold (Motera), Nr. Abu Coba Cross Roads (Sabarmati Tollnaka), Motera Stadium Road, Ahmedabad - 380005, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Cinemax Shiv, Cinemax, Ashram Road, Ahmedabad.
- Rajhans Cinema, 4th floor, Kalasagar Mall, Opp. Saibaba Temple, Sattadhar Cross Roads, Naranpura, Ahmedabad, ☎ .
- Ambawadi Vegetable Market.
- Central Mall, Ambawadi.
- D-Mart Motera-Chandkheda (It is located on the Visat - Gandhinagar Highway on the Motera edge.).
- Ramnagar Vegetable and Fruit Market (It is located in Ramnagar division of Sabarmati.).
- 1 Reliance Fresh, Ashram Road, Hridaya Kunj, Old Wadaj, ☎ . 07:00-22:00. The mini-malls have variety of items that are available in a typical supermarket store. They also sell fresh vegetables, fruits, milk, dairy products, etc. There are 3 stores in Navrangpura, 1 at Mithakali Six Roads, 1 at Ambawadi, 4 on and off C G Road, 2 at Paldi, 1 at Vasna, 1 at Subhash Bridge and 1 at Motera (Visat - Gandhinagar Highway).
- 2 Shree Balaji Agora Mall (Agora Mall), 4th Floor, Shree Balaji Mall, Visat to Gandhinagar Highway, Motera to Chandkheda, Ahmedabad. (Northern Ring Road near Tapovan Circle, Motera.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is a high-end mall having the Dubai-fame Grand Cinemas, the best gaming zone in Ahmedabad, a food court, cuisine theme - based restaurants serving Thai, Italian, Gujarati, etc. and a Sky Cafe. It has a really good antique shop. The retail stores are opening up gradually.
- 1 Amazo, Ground Floor,G1, 2 Campus Corner,Commerce six road Girivar Society, Navrangpura, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 12:00-15:00 & 19:00-23:00. Specialized in various vegetarian cuisines, the restaurant has expertise and specializes in serving Italian and Mexican food.
- Asharfi, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. These outlets serve desserts only. The Kulfis are excellent.
- 3, Heerabaug, Nr. Kalyan Jewellers, Ambawadi, ☎ .
- 7-8-9, Khan Pan Bazaar, Law Garden, Nr. NCC Ground, Ellisbridge, ☎ .
- Bhagwati Chat, 73, White House, Panchwati Circle, C G Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, ☎ . 11:00 am to 11:30 pm. It serves fast food and snacks. Try Paneer Tikka, Pani Puri, Gulab Jamun, Jalebi, etc.
- Cafe Upper Crust. A popular cafe chain amongst the younger crowd. It serves continental fare including veg/non-vegetarian sizzlers, pastas, sandwiches, etc. The bakery has breads, cakes and desserts that are also worth trying. Look out for their special food festivals. Since 1989.
- Chandan Complex, Swastik Cross Roads, C G Road, Navrangpura, ☎ . 9AM-10PM.
- Aarohi Complex, Vijay Cross Roads, Navrangpura, ☎ . 9AM-10PM.
- Choice Snack Bar, e-mail: email@example.com. Provides excellent chaats, Chinese foods, fries, pizzas, burgers, etc.
- (Swastik Cross Roads)Swastik Cross Roads, C G Road, ☎ .
- (Municipal Market)Municipal Market, C G Road, ☎ .
- Honest. A well-known fast-food chain in Ahmedabad that started as road-side joint serving Pav-Bhaji and Pulav in Law Garden area and now a developing restaurant chain.
- (C G Road)Ground floor - 1, White House, Panchwati Circle, C G Road, Navrangpura, ☎ .
- (Law Garden)Khan Pan Bazaar, Law Garden, Nr. NCC Ground, Ellisbridge, ☎ .
- Sankalp, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the famous institutions of Ahmedabad, with an excellent variety of South Indian fare, along with other items. It had once set an Guinness World Record for the "longest dosa (thin-crepe) in the World" (25 feet).
- 2 (C G Road)Sankalp Restaurant, Samir Building, Opp. Municipal Market, C G Road, ☎ . Mon to Sun: 11 am to 11 pm.
- 3 (Paldi)Vishwam Complex, Dharnidhar Cross Road, Paldi, ☎ . Mon to Sun: 11 am to 11 pm.
- 4 (Ashram Road)Embassy Market, Nr. Dinesh Hall Ashram Road. Mon to Sun: 11 am to 11 pm.
- 5 Shop no. 2, Devprit Complex, Nr. Reliance Fresh, Opp. Vishwakarma Govt. Engineering College, Motera. Mon to Sun: 11 am. to 10 pm. Express location.
- 6 69, Ankur Commercial Center, Ankur Cross Roads, Naranpura. 11 am to 11 pm. Express location.
- Seva Cafe, Shopper's Plaza, 4th Floor, Opp. Municipal Market, C G Road, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, ☎ . Closed on Saturday. Seva Cafe is a Gift Economy restaurant, serving meals made by volunteers in C G Road, Ahmedabad. These meals made with love our offered as gifts to the guests who are asked to ‘Pay Forward’ this chain of kindness from their heart. The guests and volunteers of Seva Cafe have continued this chain for the last 7 years, offering more than 85,000 meals so far.
- Campus Corner, Ground floor, H L College Road, Navrangpura, ☎ . Mo-Su 12PM-11PM.
- Ground floor, Shivalik 5, C G Road, Paldi. Mo-Su 11AM-11PM.
- Zen, e-mail: email@example.com. An open air café. In terms of food, you need to place the order near the entrance and they will serve it to you wherever you are sitting in the sprawling area. The menu is not very extensive, but has coffee, juices, iced teas, sandwiches and paninis. Come here for the ambience. Let food be just an accompaniment to conversation as the menu is limited, expensive and not worth the spend. Zen Cafe is comfortable and peaceful. The swaying trees and the twittering birds create a rustic ambience to rejuvenate your spirits. Evenings are beautiful as they light up the place, so visit after 7 PM.
- Amdavad ni Gufa, University Road, ☎ . 4PM-8PM (Tu-Su; Mo closed).
- Mithakali, Across Sardar Patel Seva Samaj, ☎ . 11 am - 10 pm (All days).
International fast food franchises such as Subway, McDonalds, and Pizza Hut can be easily found as well.
Gujarat is one of the few Indian states where alcohol is prohibited. But this applies only to Indians. If you have a non-Indian passport / green card holder/ PR status, you can get an alcohol permit valid for one month by going to a liquor shop large hotel and purchasing one at their liquor shop. Hotels that have liquor shops include: Cama Hotel in Khanpur, Hotel Inder Residency, Opp. to Gujarat College, Comfort Inn President Hotel at CG Road among others open from 12 noon to 8PM Monday to Saturday ph no. +91 79 26467575. Many local people will be able to direct you because they can purchase alcohol on a 'health' license. If you are non-resident of Gujarat, then one can get liquor permits issued at liquor shop on showing proof of travel to Ahmedabad like (1) Air/Train/Bus ticket,(2)any Identity proof by Govt. with Photo, Address & birthdate preferably driving licence and (3a)your Ahmedabad Local address proof like Residence Address of Local friend/relatives electric/telephone bill/ driving licence or (3b)Proof of stay at hotel
However, if you are staying longer you will need a non-resident permit. For that, you will need: a photocopy of passport including your entry stamps, a photocopy of visa, a photocopy of a local resident’s ID card (drivers license will probably be easiest). As of January 3, 2009, ₹1000 (although the person may ask for ₹50 extra as a bribe but should not be given). Note: If you can get a local person to go with you, the entire experience will be a lot easier.
But booze is strictly a private affair and don't expect to order a drink at a restaurant (obviously there are no bars here) and you will have to drink in your hotel room or at someone's home. If someone invites you to a party, there is a good chance you will be offered a drink there. Under a new amendment to the law prohibiting alcohol, you cannot be arrested or detained for consuming alcohol illegally unless you misbehave under influence or indulge in bootlegging. However, it is best to consume alcohol at your hotel room or at a very close friends place. Majority of the guests staying at a hotel consume it in their rooms and there is always an implied consent from the hotel who will serve you ice, soda and glasses.
Many small shops sell lassi (a yogurt drink). Lassi choices include: sweet, salty, with almonds. Farki, Girish Cold Drinks and Krishna Dairy are some of the famous ones. Apart from this, Janta Ice Cream and Cold Drinks offers a delicious drink cold Chocolate Coco, a chocolate flavored thick - shake. Janta has its shops across Ahmedabad. There is also a very wide variety of fruit juices available. Most large places like HavMor are reputable and use good water, you should exercise care when drinking at smaller places. Besides, Ahmedabad is a place where most ice cream is consumed in the world. You would love to test many of the local brands like Havmore, Chills Thrills & Frills, Rajsthan Ice Cream, etc.
- 1 Lucky Tea Stall, Nr. Lal Darwaja. Drink refreshing Masala tea with Maska Bun. Enjoy a painting by renowned artist M. F. Hussain who gave it to owner as a gift of friendship. The stall is located amid graves.
- 1 Hotel Comfort Inn President, Off. C.G.Road, Opp. Municipal Market, Navrangpura, ☎ . is a known for its delicious food at multi-cuisine "Princess" restaurant and hospitality and luxury, style, and comfort they offer to the guests. This Hotel is situated at the prime location of C.G.Road which is one of the most posh and prime commercial areas in Ahmedabad. Hotel is situated in the very heart of the Ahmedabad city. Do not forget to look up the friendly Manager - Mr Chandrakant. Visit hotel's liquor shop and buy liquor bottles from wide range of brands of whiskies,wines,beers etc. against liquor permit issued in the liquor shop to non-residents of Gujarat and foreigners against their recognised photo identity proof with address e.g. passport, election card, motor driving licence,etc. 49 / 61 € par night.
- 2 Hotel Fortune Landmark, Located in Usmanpura on Ashram Road, ☎ . it is a leading economy hotel of Ahmedabad located in the heart of the city's business center, located around 10 km from the Airport. It offers its guests a complete range of amenities, including large meeting rooms, state-of-the-art business facilities and best food & beverage options. Its close proximity to city center, government houses and major business center in the city is its location advantage. All this makes this hotel an ideal place for both businessmen and travelers alike.
- 3 Hotel Westend, College Road, Ellisbridge, ☎ . Located in Ellisbridge area, it provides its guests with all the modern amenities available in a friendly and homely atmosphere. Hotel is conveniently situated in the commercial area of Ahmedabad. The hotel gives its guests a delicate combination of old-world charm and the modern ambience. The Westend offers a lot more than what you'd expect, landmark location, exotic cuisine, tasteful ambience and warm hospitality that makes you come back again and again.
- 4 Lemon Tree Hotel, Ahmedabad, 434/1, Mithakhali Six Cross Roads, Navrangpura, ☎ . Located in Ahmedabad’s downtown shopping and commercial area of CG Road in Navrangpura, this attractive and airy hotel is walking distance from Hazira LNG, Adani House, Vadilal Industries, Suzlon Energy, HDFC Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Reliance Capital, Bank of Baroda and more
- 5 Hotel Inder Residency, Opp. Gujarat College, Surendra Mangaldas Road, Ellisbridge, ☎ . 5 star hotel situated in calm and quiet western suburbs of Ahmedabad, close to main commercial roads: C.G & Ashram road. Easy accessibility to the Railway Station and Airport, and it's close location to main Ahmedabad, and other business areas makes the hotel more convenient.
- Hotel Park Plaza, is in Ellisbridge..
- 6 The Lalit Hotels, Palaces, Resorts, 16-17, National Chamber, Ashram Road., ☎ .
- 7 Radisson Blu, Near Panchvati Cross Roads, Off C.G. Road, Ambawadi Ellisbridge, ☎ .
- Chandkheda, Chandkheda Housing board M-277/1813,1814 Subhash Nagar, IOC Road, Chandkheda, Ahmedabad, ☎ , e-mail: Polstnfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ellisbridge, Opp. Town Hall, Ashram Road, Ahmedabad-380006, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. It also has chowkies (minor police stations) at Paldi, Chhadawad (Ambawadi) and Fatepura.
- Gujarat University, Nr. Gujarat High Court, Sarkhej Highway, Main Road, Block No.B/29, PWD Building, Ahmedabad, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. It also has chowkies (minor police stations) at Commerce Six Roads, Darpan Cross Roads and Gulbai Tekra.
- Naranpura, Adarshnagar housing flat, Vijaynagar Char Rasta, Ahmedabad 380013, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. It also has chowkies (minor police stations) at Old Wadaj (Juna Wadaj), New Wadaj (Nava Wadaj) and Usmanpura Cross Roads.
- Sabarmati, Ramnagar, Sabarmati, Ahmedabad - 380005, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. It also has chowkies (minor police stations) at Subhash Bridge, Jawahar Chowk, Kaligam and Ranip.
- , Nr. Navrangpura Railway Crossing, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380009, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. It also has chowkies (minor police stations) at Ashram Road, Law Garden, etc.