Alexandria is a historic city, rich in Louisiana history. Civil War historic sites along with easy access to numerous historic locations and Kisatchie National Forest sites make it a city ideal for history enthusiasts and sportsmen.
Interstate 49 runs through the center of Alexandria, linking the city with Shreveport to the northwest (125 miles) and Lafayette to the south (90 miles).
- 1 Alexandria International Airport (AEX IATA) (located to the west of the city). served by American Airlines, Continental Airlines, and Delta Airlines. The airport provides flights to Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Atlanta.
Limited Greyhound bus service.
MacArthur Drive, which intersects with I-49 on both the north and south ends of the city, is one of the main roads. Many of the retail establishments in Alexandria are located near the intersection of MacArthur and Masonic Drives near the Alexandria Mall.
- 1 Kent Plantation House, 3601 Bayou Rapides Rd, ☏ . One of the oldest surviving plantations in Louisiana.
- 2 Alexandria Zoological Park, 3016 Masonic Dr, ☏ .
- 3 Forts Randolph and Buhlow State Historic Site, 135 Riverfront St, Pineville, ☏ . W-Su 9AM-5PM. Civil War sites, including the Bailey Dam area where Union naval admiral David Porter was able to retreat in safety after the Battle of Mansfield had given the Confederates the victory.
- 4 Alexandria Museum of Art, 933 2nd St, ☏ . Tu-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-4PM. Housed in the historic Rapides Bank and Trust Company Building that was built in 1898, this museum has various permanent and transitory exhibitions of paintings, sculpture, etc, plus classes. $5, but free on 2nd Sa of the month.
- 5 Louisiana History Museum, 503 Washington St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. Kind of a low-key state history museum.
- 6 Arna Bontemps African-American, 1327 3rd St, ☏ . Museum about a Harlem Renaissance poet, located in his childhood home.
- Mardi Gras. College cheerleaders and classic cars parade takes place on Friday afternoon in Downtown. Children's parade takes place on Saturday morning in Downtown. The Krewe's parade takes place on Sunday afternoon with a route from Texas Ave to the Alexandria Mall. The Krewe of Provine parade on Tuesday runs down Coliseum Blvd.
- Alex Winter Fete. Winter festival.
Some local restaurants include:
- Tunk's Cypress Inn, 9507 LA Hwy 28 West (on Kincaid Lake), ☏ . Specializes in steaks, alligator, crawfish, oysters, and seafood.
- Oriental Wok, 6 N Bolton Ave, ☏ . Chinese food and sushi bar
- Hana Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar, 2915 MacArthur Dr, ☏ .
- Diamond Grill, 924 3rd St, ☏ . Upscale restaurant in the downtown
- Lou & Laura's, 1301 Windsor Pl, ☏ . New Orleans-style po' boys and broasted chicken
There is also a wide variety of chain restaurants in Alexandria.
Crawfish boils are popular among locals when crawfish is in season during spring.
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 3411 US-165, Pineville, ☏ . Indoor pool and hot tub/breakfast. $65.
- Holiday Inn Alexandria - Downtown, 701 4th St., ☏ .
- 1 The Hotel Bentley, 200 Desoto St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Historic downtown hotel dating back to 1908. In the 2010s, it underwent a multi-million dollar restoration.
- 2 Indian Creek Recreation Area, 100 Camp Ground Rd, Woodworth, ☏ . Camping plus hiking, swimming, water recreation along Indian Creek Reservoir. It doesn't have the most pristine water or scenery, but it's a natural getaway nonetheless. $7 day use, more for camping.
Alexandria is served by Rapides Regional Medical Center, 211 4th Street, ☏ . .
- Pineville, Alexandria's sister city, is directly across the Red River.
- Natchitoches is about an hour to the northwest down I-49.
- Marksville, home of Paragon Casino, is about 45 minutes to the southeast down Highway 1.
- A number of lakes can be found in the surrounding area a short drive from Alexandria, such as Kincaid, Cotile, and Indian Creek.
|Routes through Alexandria|
|Shreveport ← Natchitoches ←||N S||→ Woodworth → Lafayette|
|Shreveport ← Pineville ←||N S||→ Lecompte → Krotz Springs|
|Lake Charles ← Woodworth ←||S N||→ Pineville → Monroe|
|Ruston ← Pineville ←||N S||→ Lecompte → Lafayette|