Krotz Springs is a small town in Louisiana on the extreme eastern edge of St. Landry Parish. This is the last city on US 190 before crossing the Atchafalaya Basin from the west to points nearer Baton Rouge (or the first city if coming from the east).
- US Highway 190 passes through the town from west to east, connecting Krotz Springs to Opelousas and Baton Rouge.
- Louisiana Highway 975 runs up to US 190 on the east bank of the Atchafalaya River. Connects the town with the Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, Sherburne Wildlife Management Area, and Interstate 10 to the south. NOTE: This road is gravel for virtually its entire length and has sharp curves in some places, so it is advisable not to exceed 35 miles per hour when driving this highway.
The town is small, but there are no sidewalks anywhere and traffic passes through Krotz Springs on Highway 190 quickly. It is best to use your car to get around to points in the city.
- 1 Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, 2 miles south of Krotz Springs on Louisiana 975 (Cross the US 190 bridge and immediately take the LA 975 exit. Drive south down Highway 975 to the refuge boundary.). Sunrise-Sunset Daily. This 15,000 acre refuge is one of the few places where you can get "up close and personal" with alligators, blue herons, and other animals and plant life from the Atchafalaya Basin in their natural habitat. Nature and ATV trails exist, along with plenty of opportunities for wildlife viewing. Free.
- 1 Cricket's Bait and Treasures, 24386 US-190, ☏ . Antiques, curios, and other Louisiana bayou memorabilia. Sells bait for fishermen and can give advice on local fishing hotspots.
- 1 Billy's Diner, 24467 US Hwy 190, ☏ . Cajun roadside diner.
- 2 [dead link] Cajun Works (formerly the Cajun Corner Cafe), 24386 US Hwy 190, ☏ . Cajun fast food restaurant attached to a gas station.
- 3 Morrow's Diner, 24442 US-190, ☏ .
While there are no hotel or motel accommodations in the town boundaries, RV and primitive camping is available 5 miles southeast inside the Sherburne Wildlife Management Area off of Highway 975. The nearest motel is 13 miles east in the town of Livonia.
- 1 Oak Tree Inn, 7875 Airline Highway, Livonia (13 miles east of Krotz Springs on US 190), ☏ . Basic hotel outside Livonia, on the westbound lane of US 190. 24 hour diner attached to hotel (Penny's Diner). $65 a night and up.
- 1 [dead link] Krotz Springs Municipal Public Library, 216 Park Street, ☏ . Mon-Fri 9AM to 5PM. Inside the Gary Soileau Community Center. Offers public computers and Wi-Fi.
|Routes through Krotz Springs|
|Alexandria ← Lecompte ←||N S||→ END|
|Huntsville ← Opelousas ←||W E||→ Baton Rouge → Slidell|
|END ← Simmesport ←||N S||→ END|
|END ←||N S||→ Jct W E → END|