There has been a settlement here since the times of King Alfred, but it was at its height as a mining town until the 1960s. It is now a warehouse and retail area and includes the head office and factory of Thorntons Chocolates.
A38, north of Ripley, exit 28 of the M1.
- East Midland Trains from Liverpool via Sheffield to Norwich via Nottingham.
- Northern Line from Nottingham to Leeds via Ilkeston.
- 1 Wingfield Manor, South Wingfield, DE55 7NH (3 miles west of Alfreton). adults £5.50, children £3.30, concessions £5.00.
- 1 East Midlands Designer Outlet (4 miles east of the town).
- 2 David Nieper, Saulgrove House, DE55 7LE, ☏ . Luxury ladies' clothing handmade in their factory.
- 1 Bluey's Aussie Bar & Steakhouse, 32 Nottingham Road, ☏ .
- 2 The Schoolhouse, 43 Church St, South Normanton, ☏ .
- 1 The Derbyshire Hotel, Carter Lane East, South Normanton (15 miles from Derby and Nottingham city centres), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 11am. A hotel and event venue offering 157 bedrooms, 14 event suites, a leisure club and restaurant.
- 2 Travelodge Hotel - Alfreton, Old Swanwick, Colliery Rd, DE55 1HJ, ☏ (premium number).
|Routes through Alfreton|
|Derby ← Ripley ←||S NE||→ junction → Mansfield|
|merges with ←||S N||→ Chesterfield → Sheffield|