Alicante / Alacant province is the southernmost province of the Valencian Community.
- 1 Alicante – the provincial capital.
- 2 Agost – a small town known for its traditional ceramics.
- 3 Cocentaina – has an annual 600-year-old trade fair.
- 4 Alcoy – has the largest annual Moors and Christians festival.
- 5 Biar – one of Alicante's better-preserved medieval towns.
- 6 Villena – a town with two Moorish castles and other historic monuments.
The airport is relatively close to the ciutat (city) of Alacant, beaches in Costa Blanca, such as Benidorm.
Trains coming from Madrid (Altaria), which takes about 3 hours and 15 minutes, and Barcelona and València (Euromed). It also has a picturesque (and slow) train coming from Dénia and going until Alicante. This is the so-called TRAM system. The tracks have been electrified, with ultra-modern cars, from Alicante to Benidorm. Between Benidorm and Denia, the line is still served by the old diesel traincars. There are plans to electrify the system from Benidorm to Denia as well.
Many buses come from almost every big city in Spain. The main bus station is located in the centre of Alicante.
- Guadalest (30min drive inland from Altea). Guadalest is a mountainous village built in a truly unique style into the actual mountain sides. The picturesque village attract thousands of tourist wishing to see the ancient buildings glued to the peaks of narrow mountains and habitats built into the caves of steep mountain sides
Moros i Cristians (Spanish: Moros y Cristianos) festivals are held in various small towns around the Alicante region. The festivity keeps memory of the Reconquer of each town by Christian kings of the territory to Islamic forces. Locals dress up in colorful costumes as Medieval Moorish and Christian warriors and knights. Live camels and elephants can sometimes be seen in street processions. In some areas, temporary wooden castles are built and mock battles are waged. Loud gunpowder arquebuses are discharged into the air, and fireworks can last late into the night.
Alicante has its own regulatory wine council. Tinto Alicante and Moscatel Alicante are the most well-known varieties.