Torrevieja (Valencian: Torrevella) is a coastal town and center of tourism in the south of Alicante province in Costa Blanca, Spain. It is situated within the district of Vega Baja and has a population of 90,000 inhabitants. Torrevieja is 41 km away from Alicante to the north, 23 km from Elche to the northwest, and 53 km from Murcia in the southeast.
The name Torrevieja literally means 'old tower'. Torrevieja as a town dates from the early 18th century when it was a fishing village built around one of the watchtowers that flanks the Costa Blanca coastline. Today it's one of the fastest growing cities in Spain due to tourism. Many Spanish and other European citizens have a holiday home in the city.
- 1 Tourist Info, Paseo Vista Alegre, s/n, ☏ +34 965 703 433, fax: +34 965 715 936, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-19:00, Sa 10:00-14:00.
El Altet airport, about 40 km north in Alicante, and San Javier airport, some 25 km south in Murcia, are the closest airports to Torrevieja.
The nearest Renfe train station is in Orihuela, with connections to Murcia, Elche, and Alicante. From any of these cities you'll have to take the bus.
- 1 Estación de Autobuses, Patricio Zammit, 49, ☏ +34 965 710 146. Passenger transport companies with direct routes to Torrevieja include Alsa, Costa Azul, and La Inmaculada. There is a taxi stand outside the station.
National mainroad 332 Alicante-Cartagena, Levante motorway Madrid-Alicante, Mediterranean motorway Alicante-Murcia, A-37 motorway Alicante-Cartagena, regional mainroad CV-90, provincial road 3321.
Torrevieja has a large harbour for private yachts and small sight-seeing boats offer cruises around the coastline and to the nearby island of Tabarca, but there are no passenger ships which sail to Torrevieja. The nearest passenger port is in Alicante.
Due to its small size it's easy to walk around the city. Costa Azul operates few bus lines connecting most important parts of Torrevieja. Taxis are plentiful and also plentiful are car rentals, alltough during peak tourist season it might be very difficult to find free parking places anywhere close to center.
- 1 Torre del Moro (Cervera Cape Tower). 24 hrs. Located in a large park with views of the Costa Blanca and the Mediterranean. Free.
- 2 Museo del Mar y de la Sal (Museum of the Sea and Salt), Calle Patricio Perez, 10, ☏ +34 966 70 46 43, email@example.com. Tu 10:00-14:00, W-Sa 10:00-14:00 16:30-20:30, Su 10:00-13:00. An ethnological museum devoted to illustrating local customs associated with the sea and salt. Especially noteworthy are the handcrafted miniature boats made of salt. Free.
- 3 Museo Flotante, Av del Puerto, s/n, ☏ +34 966 704 643. Sep-June: W-Su 10:00-14:00; Jul Aug: 17:30-22:30. The 'floating museum' includes two vessels: a French-built submarine Delfín (S61), and the Albatross III Coast Guard patrol boat. €2.
- 4 Sala de Exposiciones Vistalegre, C/ Concepción, 2, ☏ +34 966 843 710. W-Sa 10:00-14:00 17:00-21:00, Su 10:00-13:30. The small gallery is a venue for temporary exhibitions of contemporary art. Free.
- 5 Casino de Torrevieja (Sociedad Cultural Casino de Torrevieja), Paseo Vistalegre, 14, ☏ +34 965 710 104. Daily 09:00-23:00. A modernist structure built in 1896.
Torrevieja has a protected Natural Park with two salt lakes, and 20 km of coastline containing six large beaches - La Mata, Cabo Cervera, Los Locos, El Cura, Los Náufragos and Ferris - and about 20 coves with an abundance of cliffs.
- 1 Auditorio Conservatorio Internacional de Música (International Conservatory of Music), Partida de la Loma, s/n, ☏ +34 902 150 025 (box office). 2 hrs before the show (box office). The largest and most important performing arts centre in the area, the modern facility hosts a full calendar of music, dance, and theatre. Tickets can also be purchased online, by phone, or at the 2 Centro Cultural Virgen Del Carmen on Wednesdays 11:00-14:00.
- 3 Teatro Municipal (Municipal Theatre / Performing Arts Centre), Plaza Miguel Hernández, 3, ☏ +34 966 706 838. Completed in 2006, the building showcases musical, dance, and theatrical performances.
- 4 Palacio de la Música (Conservatorio Francisco Casanovas), C/ Unión Musical Torrevejense, 55, ☏ +34 965 712 311. Designed by architects Alberto Velázquez and José Domínguez Rozas and built in 1999, the modern building houses the municipal conservatory and is a venue for musical recitals as well as other performing arts.
- 5 CF Torrevieja (Torrevieja Football Club), Estadio Vicente García. One of Torrevieja's claims to fame is its football club or to be more accurate its amazing supporters – amazing in both their numbers and the passion they show, although only in the Tercera do they have crowds that teams two divisions above would be pleased with. The most amazing fact is that perhaps as many as 75% of the spectators are expats.
- 6 Touching Cloth Snooker Lounge, C/ Noruega 3 (near Playa Los Locos), ☏ +34 696 815 181, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 12:00-23:00. Fully air-conditioned bar with snooker and English pool tables – no membership required. Phone to book or just take a chance and call in.
Jobs are mostly available in summer due to the city's huge surge of tourists. However, smaller towns around Torrevieja such as La Zenia and Playa Flamenca both have an abundance of jobs in both the bar and restaurant industries and accept English speaking applicants.
Torrevieja offers a wide range of shopping opportunities. It contains about 2,500 shops dedicating to fashion, furniture, accessories, the home, buying and sale of property, textile, leather, interior design, electronics and gifts. The main national and international brand names in fashion, design and electronic technology are well established in Torrevieja. Opening times range between 10:00-22:00 from Monday to Saturday, although a number of shops are open every day of the week.
- 1 Centro Comercial Habaneras, Av Rosa Mazón Valero, 7, ☏ +34 965 712 300. Daily 10:00-22:00 (shops), 10:00-01:00 (restaurants). The large shopping centre has a number of chain stores including Zara, Mango, Stradivarius, H&M, Springfield, Blanco, etc. It also has many restaurants as well as a cinema multiplex and bowling alley.
- 2 Outlet El Corte Inglés, C/ Apolo, 66, ☏ +34 965 704 840. M-Sa 10:00-21:00. A discount outlet of the Spanish department store chain.
- 3 Mercadillo de Torrevieja (street market) (between Aguopolis and Torrevieja Sports City). F 09:00-14:00. The street market is an alternative to traditional commerce and in them you can obtain numerous objects for decoration, textiles, clothing, interior design, craft, animals, footwear and horticultural produce at very reasonable prices. It is one of the largest outdoor markets in Europe and it has over 1200 stalls.
- 4 Mercadillo de la Mata, Avda del Mediterráneo. W mornings. A smaller weekly street market in the suburb of la Mata.
- 1 Mundo Pequeño, Carrer Marcelina, 44 (near the Friday market), ☏ +34 965 708 585. Daily 12:00-24:00. A small and cosy restaurant with international food as well as Spanish tapas. It is a popular spot with many nationalities, the bar area reflecting this with a welcoming atmosphere. Mains €10+.
- 2 Restaurante Tasca Nueva Bahía, C/ Diego Hernández, 32, ☏ +34 965 705 747. Daily 12:00-16:00 19:00-24:00. Popular for their excellent tapas and fresh seafood. The midday menú del día is a very good value. Set menu €10-12.
- 3 El Mesón de La Costa, C/ Ramón y Cajal, 27, ☏ +34 966 703 598, email@example.com. Tu-Su 13:00-16:00 19:00-24:00. Set in a dining room with ham legs hanging from the ceiling, the focus is not meat but rather traditional seafood. Mains €18-92.
- 4 Rincón de Capi's, C/ San Gabriel, 5, ☏ +34 965 708 500, firstname.lastname@example.org. S M W 11:30-17:00, Th-Sa 11:30-17:00 19:00-23:00. The restaurant is a favourite with locals, and serves traditional cuisine with locally-sourced ingredients. Set menu €25.
- 1 KKO Discoteca, C/ Escultores Hermanos Blanco, 15, ☏ +34 607 356 762.
- 1 Hotel Fontana Plaza, Rambla Juan Mateo García, 19, ☏ +34 966 928 925, fax: +34 966 928 685, email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Has nonsmoking rooms, pool, fitness centre, shuttle service, and free Wi-Fi. Pets permitted on request, parking €12/day. Doubles €67, breakfast €7.
- 2 Hotel Madrid, Carrer Villa Madrid, 15, ☏ +34 965 711 350, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. The nonsmoking hotel has a pool and onsite café. Free Wi-Fi, parking €8/day. Doubles €52, including breakfast.
- 3 Hotel Masa International, Av Alfredo Nobel, 150, ☏ +34 966 921 537, fax: +34 966 922 172, email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00-24:00, check-out: 08:00-12:00. Has nonsmoking rooms, indoor and outdoor pool, onsite restaurant, and free Wi-Fi. Parking €6.60/day. Doubles €60, breakfast €7.
- 4 Hotel Tuto, Carrer Callosa del Segura, 4, ☏ +34 965 707 146, fax: +34 965 707 146, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Has an onsite restaurant and free Wi-Fi. Doubles €48, including breakfast.
The Friday Market (like most crowded places) abounds with very clever pickpockets. Make sure that any valuables you have with you are absolutely unreachable by anyone but yourself. If you are unlucky, you will need to report it to the Guardia Civil and not the Policia Local. Keep a copy of the report (la denunciación), as you will need the incident number for any insurance claim or for a replacement driving licence (if that was stolen too). The thieves often work in pairs. One will shield the other from view while the other is dipping into your bag or pocket.
There are many English-language newspapers including The Leader, RTN[dead link] (formerly Round Town News), Euro Weekly News [dead link] and the regional Costa Blanca News[dead link], all with online editions. There are also numerous magazines, several radio stations and even a TV station.