The city's name is believed to come from the Spanish term for "high mountain." The population was about 42,000 and rising as of 2013. The city began its rise in growth and status in Metro Orlando in the early 1970's with the construction of the Altamonte Mall which was originally anchored by Sears, Burdines, Jordan Marsh and Robinson's of Florida. It was the metropolitan areas first two level shopping mall. The Interstate Mall across the highway also opened anchored by Montgomery Wards department store and AMC Interstate Six Theaters. Luxury modern apartment complexes were soon lining Wymore Rd., Lake Orienta and Palm Springs Dr. Many new homes subdivisions began sprouting up along Montgomery Rd., Maitland Ave and Palm Springs Dr. and the beautiful wooded areas surrounding Sanlando Springs, Wekiva Springs and the Wekiva River. Growth boomed through the 1970's and 1980's into the 90's before leveling off around the new Millennium. Growth picked up again at a steady pace in the mid 2010's as the city became more established and considered a more "close in" location to Downtown Orlando and the booming offices of Maitland Center.
As in most of Florida, the easiest way to get in is by car.
The easiest way to get around is also by car.
- Cranes Roost Park, Shorecrest & Northlake Blvd. - A thirty seven acre lakeside park features one mile of continuous lighted boardwalk and covered pavilions, various ornamental plants, huge shade trees, park benches, floating stage, 900 seat amphitheater, handicapped accessible restrooms and ranger station. Many of the City's major events take place here.
- Hermit's Trail, Hermit's trail and Highway 436 - This small neighborhood park offers both active and passive recreation options including an equipped playground, and picnic pavilion.
- Lake Lotus Nature Park, The park is a 150-acre nature preserve in west Altamonte Springs. Open Thursday-Sunday 8:30AM-5:30PM
- Lake Orienta Public Boat Ramp and Recreational Area, A 1.5 acre picnic/recreation area with access to lake Orienta, which boasts 135 acres of lake that allows for fishing, skiing, and other water sports.
- Sanlando Park, Near Cranes Roost Park and adjacent to the Seminole Wekiva Trail, a large park with tennis and racquetball courts, full-court basketball, playground, pavilions, and hiking trails. Tennis and Racquetball court usage incurs a fee. One of the hiking trails runs along the backside of Seminole Softball Complex.
- Sunshine Park, Located near Lake Orienta Elementary on Oakland Drive it's a one half-acre park with walkways and benches.
- Turnbull Avenue Park, A neighborhood park with picnic tables and playground equipment.
- The Links at 434, 798 West Town Parkway, ☎ . Note: this appears to be closed. The 9-hole "434" course features 1,220 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 27. The course rating is 27 and it has a slope rating of 100.
- 1 Seminole Wekiva Trail, 371 San Sebastian Prado, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714. A nearly 14-mile paved trail built on the former Orange Belt Railway. The trail has more tree-lined than open sections and passes near several parks. Currently, it starts at 436 near 434 and runs mostly North to Lake Mary where it joins the Cross Seminole Trail at the pedestrian bridge over Interstate 4 in Lake Mary. There are several trailheads along the route with differing amenities including restrooms and water fountains. A local artist and carpenter, Jeff Sonksen, started a project named, Paint the Trail. It is an impressive collection of trail side paintings. Heading North on trail, look for the paintings just south of E.E. Williamson Rd. Several locations on the trail have paintings. Free.
- Altamonte Mall
- Scan Design- contemporary furniture
- Uptown Altamonte
- West Town Corners
There are a lot of chain restaurants.
- Taste of India, State Road 434
- "Murano's", Cranes Roost Park, Uptown Altamonte
- Bubbalous Bodacious Barbecue, E. Altamonte Ave. (SR 436)
- Seasons 52, 463 E. Altamonte Drive..
- Cool Wave Frozen Drink, ☎ .
- Days Inn, 150 South Westmonte Drive, ☎ .
- Quality Inn, 235 S Wymore Rd, ☎ . Check-out: 11AM.
- Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte, 230 W. State Road 436. The Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte formerly the Magnuson Grand Hotel Orlando is just a short drive to Disney World, Sea World, Universal Studios, Amway Arena, Orlando Space Center and other local attractions.
|Routes through Altamonte Springs|
|Orlando ← Winter Park ←||W E||→ Longwood → Daytona Beach|
|Orlando ← Maitland ←||S/W N/E||→ Casselberry → Jacksonville/Daytona Beach|
|Sanford ← Longwood ←||N S||→ Maitland → Orlando|