Maitland is a city in Orange County, Florida and a suburb of Orlando. The population of Maitland was 12,019 at the 2000 census. As of 2005, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 14,125.
Maitland is part of the Greater Orlando metropolitan area. Until the latter half of the 20th century, the region Maitland now occupies was a rural agricultural district between the major urban centers of Orlando and Sanford. Rapid urbanization of Central Florida led to the development of much of this agricultural corridor, and Orlando expanded and consumed surrounding towns. Today, Mainland and Winter Park form one of Orlando's wealthiest and most developed pockets, with many upscale retailers and tourist-oriented businesses in the two neighborhoods. During the early 21st century, a sustained population boom and high demand for affordable housing led to Maitland becoming one of the most densely-populated cities in the entire region and by the 2020s, Maitland's transition from rural to urban was complete. As a relic of the pre-integration era, Maitland remains largely segregated: Eatonville, a neighborhood west of the railroad, is largely African-American while other parts of the city are majority-white.
Maitland is typical of Florida cities, with a subtropical climate that is transitioning into a savanna climate, with humid summers and warm but dry winters. It is, however, exposed to the polar vortex, a cold front frequently experienced in the South caused by cold air masses far to the northwest. As a result, there are a few cold days per year, but many "winter" days are similar to summer days experienced in temperate climates. Maitland has some small hills and numerous lakes due to the topography of the region, but is flat compared to the towns to its north.
The main highway, US-17, passes through the city from north to south, connecting Maitland to Casselberry and Sanford to the north and Winter Park to the south. The road is a major thoroughfare, and is particularly busy during rush hour, in part due to the series of intersections and traffic signals throughout the Maitland area. I-4 passes the city to the west, with Lee Rd providing access to the southern side of the town from the interstate.
- 1 Enzian Theater, 1300 South Orlando Ave, ☏ +1 407 629-0054. Maitland's alternative theater showcases a wide range of art-house films and plays hosts to six annual film festivals, free outdoor film showings and Meet the Filmmaker events.
- 2 Holocaust Memorial Resource and Education Center of Florida, 851 N Maitland Ave, ☏ +1 407-628-0555, fax: +1 407-628-1079, email@example.com.
- 1 Homewood Suites-Maitland, 290 Southhall Ln, ☏ +1 407-875-8777. The Homewood Suites in Maitland offer guests a location that is close to the Maitland business district. Amenities include complimentary breakfast, air conditioning and private baths.
- Lake of the Woods Resort Maitland, 8875 S. Hwy 17-92, ☏ +1 407 834-7631. Located on Lake of the Woods in Maitland, this hotel property offers its guests lakefront rooms, an outdoor pool complex, a lounge, a business center, meeting facilities and Internet access. The hotel is approximately 5 mi (8 km) from downtown Orlando and 35 mi (56 km) from the major Orlando attractions and theme parks.
- 2 Sheraton Orlando North Hotel Maitland, 600 North Lake Destiny Rd, ☏ +1 407 660-9000. Featuring an atrium with a waterfall, the Sheraton Orlando North Hotel features 400 luxurious guest rooms and suites equipped with large flat-panel LCD televisions, high-speed Internet access and coffee makers. An impressive array of amenities are available at this upscale hotel, including an outdoor swimming pool, 24-hour room service, a business center and a fitness facility.
Bed & Breakfasts
- Thurston House Bed and Breakfast, 851 Lake Avenue, ☏ +1 407 539-1911. Located ten minutes from Orlando, FL, this circa 1885 Queen Anne Victorian farmhouse features four guest rooms with private baths, a wraparound porch, and garden areas. USD $140-150.
|Routes through Maitland|
|Orlando ← Winter Park ←||S/W N/E||→ Altamonte Springs → Jacksonville/Daytona Beach|
|Sanford ← Altamonte Springs ←||N S||→ Winter Park → Orlando|