Alwar is a city in the Rajasthan state of western India. It was formerly the capital of the princely state of Alwar or Ulwar in British India. The city is located around 160 km south of Delhi, and around 150 km north of Jaipur. Alwar is surrounded by the Aravali Hills and has a unique recognition because of Sariska Van Abhyaranya, Bala-Quila and Silished Etc. !
Buses frequently run from Deeg (₹30, 2 1/2 hours)
Buses and trains frequently run from Delhi (For bus ₹96, 3 1/2 to 4 hours)
Buses and trains frequently run from Jaipur (For bus ₹90, 3 1/2 to 4 hours)
By air: The nearest airport to Alwar is Delhi Airport which is 163 km away.
- Bala Quila Fort. One of the few forts built in Rajasthan prior to the rise of the Mughals. Permission from the superintendent of police is required prior to visiting (however this is easy to get).
- 1 Bhartrihari Temple. A famous TapoBhumi of Raja BhartriHari
- City Palace Complex.
- Government Museum. At former city palace. ₹3; Free on Mondays.
- 2 Pandupol, In Sariska Jungle. A place where "Pandvas" stayed at the time of agyatvaas. There is a Hanuman temple which have the unique Hanuman idol (in the form of relax). It is placed in the middle of Sariska jungle.
- 1 Jaisamand Lake. Its a lake constructed by King of Alwar
- Sariska Reserve and National Park. One of the most famous national parks in India designated as a tiger reserve
- 2 Silliserh lake, Silliserh lake (14 k.m from railway station). a decent lake named Siliserh lake along with government hotel (RTDC hotel )also named as Silliserh Hotel with restaurant and boarding faclity except during rainy season boating facility is available round the year.
Also buy the famous mojris and lac bangles, a speciality of Rajasthan.
Silver ornaments are considerably cheaper due to abundance of silver ore in Rajasthan.
- Prem Pavitra Bhojnalaya. Serves pure-veg food from ₹60-₹100
Also try the delicious panipuri at Bhagat Singh ka Chauraha as it tastes like no other
Kalakand (milk cake) near Ghanta Ghar (clock tower)
- Tija Coffee house, Nangli/Ashok circle, ☎ . 9:30AM-11PM. Best place for Coffee/lassi
Alwar is very famous for milk cake.
- Ashoka, ☎ . Single/double from ₹250/₹300.
- MGB Hotel in Alwar, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel has 35 furnished rooms, including 5 suites. The rooms and suites are categorized into Maharaja Suite, Queens Corner, Kings Corner, Deluxe Room, Aravali Room, Semi Deluxe Room, and Standard Room. Also has an outdoor swimming pool.
Buses frequently run to:
- Deeg - (₹30, 2 1/2 hours)
- Sariska - (local, ₹12, one and a half)
- Jaipur - (₹68, four hours)
- Bharatpur - (₹45, four hours)
- Delhi - (₹81, half hourly).
- Jodhpur - The Mandore Express leaves at 11:43PM (sleeper/3AC ₹226/₹578) arriving at 8AM
- Jaisalmer - The Jaisalmer Express leaving at 8:50PM goes all the way (sleeper/3AC ₹251/₹705)
- Jaipur - The Shatabdi (No 2015/6) passes through Alwar at 8:35PM and stops at Jaipur(₹315).
A return taxi to Sariska Reserve and National Park will cost you around ₹750.