Anantapur has a population of over 500,000 and is well connected by road and rail. It is located between Hyderabad, Bangalore Highway and Railway line. The nearest Airport is at Puttaparty 70 km. Sri Krishnadevaraya University and JNT University are in the city. 200 km south of Anantapur is Bangalore and 350 km north of Anantpur is Hyderabad.
The primary language is Telugu. Getting along with English alone is also not very difficult.
Anantapur is well connected with major cities like Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore with regular and frequent train and bus services.
You have Garib Rath service to Hyderabad / Bangalore.
Along with the government-operated APSRTC bus services, there are many private operators with very good bus services from Hyderabad, Vellore and Bengaluru.
Anantapur is well connected with outside city through Road-ways. There are above 8 private travels for Hyderabad (like, SNSMS, Sri Balaji, Kesineni, Diwakar, Ganesh...). Also, many other services to Bengaluru, and many short services to the nearby towns & villages.
One private service running from Kurnool to Vellore Daily, through Anantapur is also there.
- 1 Clock Tower. The Clock Tower is a historic structure at the centre of Anantapur town, built in memory of martyrs of the Indian freedom movement by the initiative of M. Ramachandra Naidu (then district judge) and other citizens. The height of the Clock Tower is 47 ft (14 m) which signifies the year 1947. The Tower's radius is 15 ft (4.6 m) which signifies the date 15th. The Tower has 8 faces which signifies August, the eighth month of the year.
- 2 Arts college (center of town). to see ancient architecture.
- 3 ISKCON Temple, Hare Krishna Land, Somuladoddi, National Highway No.7. 7 km from town. Built by ISKON in 2008.
- Cheruvu Katta. This is holy place both for Hindus and Muslims. All the temples are located at one place (Shirdi Sai Baba, Ayyappa, Ganesh & Hanuman Temples)
- 4 Sarada Temple, at SaradaNagar. It's a peaceful place and very famous.
- BlooMoon Restaurant, NH-7, Gooty, anantapur (From anantapur stating Gooty), ☏ . An outdoor restaurant.
- Little Flowers College of Education
- Bajjis. Famous restaurant in 1st road, near Police Training College
- Biriyani. Spice touch
- Dosa. Famous restaurant in I-Road Gurukrupa hotel, Sujatha Hotel, Indira Priyadarshini Hotel-near Clock Tower.
- IDLY. Famous restaurant in Oldtown near to Krishna theatre, near Srikantam Circle.
- LASSI. Famous restaurant near Medinova Hospital.
- Oaligalu. In old town.
- Poori. Opposite Emrald Restaurant..
- For non-veg, Swathi daba at Gooty Road.
- Gongooras. At national highway towards Bangalore.
- 1 Spice Touch. near Hotel Sapthagiri Balla is also good.
- For vegies.....
- Adi Murthi Tiffin Center (opposite Jain Mandir in Old town). Famous for varieties of dosas.
- Madhu Restaurant (beside Bank of Baroda Cross, Subhash Road). Famous for north Indian dishes.
- Manogna Restaurant (opp.to SBI).
- 2 Srisagar Restaurant (at Subhash road.).
Nannari (a kind of root beer) and butter milk are the most consumed drinks in summer. Bottles of nannari syrup (₹45/ 750ml bottle ) are usually available at stores.
- Nama Residency, at Subash Road.
- 1 .
- 2 SRS Residency (parallel road to raju road).
- 3 Komala Residency, Beside APSRTC Bus stand, Opp. Petrol Bunk (Left side of RTC Bus Stand), ☏ (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org. 1200 for 2 People.
- 4 Hotel Sapthagiri Balla (near Sapthagire Circle), ☏ .
- Amaravathi Lodge. at Raju Road.
- 5 Annapurna lodge, at raju road.
- 6 Mayura Lodge (near Sreekantam Circle).
- 7 Sampoorna Lodge. near Sreekantam Circle
- 8 Hotel Masineni Grand, #15/184, Raju Road, ☏ . 3 star Hotel in the central area of the city. INR 3200.
B.S.N.L.(Cellone) has wide mobile coverage.
Anantapur has many nearby attractions to visit.
- Karnataka neighbouring state.
- Aluru Kona -- you can visit this water fall near to Tadipatri is good to see.
- Babiah Dargah in Penukonda - Dargah of 12 Th Century Sufi Saint Hazrat Syed Shah Baba Fakruddin Saharwardy(R.A)
- Belum caves-- famous tourist attraction near Tadipatri.
- Dharmavaram - Famous for silk sarees. 40km from Anantapur city.
- Kadiri - Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple 90 km from Anantapur.
- Lepakshi - Biggest Nandi in India, and temples built between 13-14 century AD.14 km from Hindupur.
- Pennahobilam - Lord Narasimha Swamy temple on a hillock, 30 km from Anantapur.
- Penukonda - Forts and temples built by Sri Krishnadevaraya king. 65 km from Anantapur City.
- Puttaparthi - Abode of Sri Sri Sri Satya Sai Baba (Prashantinilayam) 34 km from Hindupur.
- Tadipatri, Hemavati, Penakacherla dam, PABR dam, Gooty fort, Rayadurg fort are the other places to visit.
- Timmamma marrimanu (Banyan tree) which covers an area of 5 acres and has its name in the Guinness book of records, 120 km from Anantapur.