The town is a popular getaway for Rio residents, since there are plenty of nice beaches around. If you end up in the town of Angra dos Reis itself, it is quite likely that you are on your way to the popular island Ilha Grande, since Angra is the main port to the island.
Apart from the town, Angra dos Reis is comprised many islands and "two thousand beaches" filled with natural beauty, legends and social events. To know well this part of the Fluminense Green Coast, one must travel by boat, being able to see the crystalline waters, and the mansions of the rich and famous, erected on private islands.
Among all of its islands, Ilha Grande stands out. Considered the paradise of adventurers, with its trails, waterfalls and deserted beaches, it played an important role in Brazil’s historical-cultural scenario for having housed a prison for almost 60 years.
In the past, Angra dos Reis was one of the most important ports of the Fluminense coast. Ships loaded with goods docked there from the other side of the world. Slave ships also arrived there with hundreds of slaves to supply forced labor in the coffee plantations of the region.
It is located in the Fluminense Green Coast, between the States of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, on the margins of the Rio-Santos Highway (BR-101).
- 1 Bica da Carioca Open Air Museum, R. José Riegert, 15 - Centro, CEP 23900-170.
- Yacht charter Angra Dos Reis. Windward Islands, one of the world's largest yacht charter companies, can take care of all charter requirements, from bareboat to luxury yacht in Brasil. Operating from different offices worldwide (UK, USA, Honk Kong, Dubai, Germany, Italy, France, Spain and Switzerland).
- Shopping Piratas Mall (Pirates' Mall), Est. Municipal, 91 - Praia do Jardim, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bike Mania Angra Com de Bicicletas, R. Arcebispo Santos, 131 - Centro, 23900-160, ☏ . M-F 09:00-18:00; Sa 09:00-13:00.
There are excellent restaurants that serve from fish and seafood, to international dishes.
Looking for accommodation online in Angra can be confusing, since the beach resorts and the downtown hotels can be hard to tell apart. If you just need somewhere to sleep before going to Ilha Grande the next day, don't book an expensive resort far from the port.
The majority of accommodation options are on the Contorno road north of town. They range from luxurious hotels to small cozy inns, and attractive prices. The cheapest options are in the center.
- 1 Pousada Naturalia, Angra dos Reis - Centro, 23968-000, ☏ .
- 365 Hostel, Praça Raul Pompeia,16 - Rua do forum - Centro, 23900-090, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Kuxixo, Rua Prefeito Joao Galindo 142, Centro, ☏ . In the center of town. Also used by lonely lovers. No breakfast. Double R$ 45.
- 3 Hotel Colonial, Rua da Conceição, 231, Centro (a stone's throw from the pier), ☏ . Naked light bulb-type of place with no points for charm, but if you're going to Ilha Grande the location is great. Breakfast included. This hotel might be closed now. Double R$ 90.
- 4 Acqua Root´s Hostel, Centro, 23968-000, ☏ .
- 5 Pousada AngraBella, Estrada Vereador Benedito Adelino 3185, Praia Grande (right at Praia Grande), ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. Walk from your room right into the beach. Breakfast Included.
- 6 Hotel Pousada Angra Antiga, R. Arcebispo Santos, 22 - Centro, 23900-160, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. R$50/person.
- 7 Hotel Cherry, R. Pereira Peixoto, 64 - Centro, 23900-000, ☏ .
Angra is a crime ridden, ugly, semi-industrial hole on the arguably marvellous coast around the Ilha Grande. It has half a dozen buildings which are kind of meriting a second glance for their historic value.
- Angra leads the regional ranking for homicides (October 2017)
- The mayor seeks to solicit donations from tourists to beef up security (January 2018)
On the other hand, if you are around and have problems with your yacht, this is the place where to have it repaired.
The cheapest way to get to Ilha Grande is the ferries operated by BARCAS S/A. They take 90 minutes and normally depart twice a day. The schedule is changed frequently. Prices are significantly lower on Monday through Thursday than on Fridays, weekends and holidays.
There are also several private boats from Angra dos Reis port to Vila do Abraão on Ilha Grande, leaving almost every hour (depeding on the demand). Prices may vary from R$15 to R$25. If you walk near the pier and look like a tourist you will be approached by these boat operators. Note that they may not be entirely truthful about how soon their boat will depart - if you are told to wait on a pier and see no boat nearby, find another operator.
- 1 Porto Angra dos Reis - Technip (Ferry terminal), Av. Júlio Maria, 61 - Centro.
|Routes through Angra dos Reis|
|Ubatuba ← Paraty ←||S N||→ Mangaratiba → Rio de Janeiro|