Aracaju is the capital of the state of Sergipe, Brazil. It's the capital of northeast with best quality of life (according to Federal Government). It's located on the coast, and cut by rivers such as Sergipe and Poxim. According to the population count conducted by the IBGE in 2007, the city has 520,303 inhabitants.  In addition to the populations of cities that form the Great Aracaju, Nossa Senhora do Socorro, Barra dos Coqueiros, Laranjeiras and São Cristóvão, number passes for 760,000 inhabitants. The toponymy "Aracaju" derives from the expression indigenous "ará acaiú", which in Tupi-guarani means "cashew of parrots". The element "ará" means "Parrots" and "acaiú", "fruit of the cashew."
Use the app Moovit for local buses. The bus connections in Google Maps are outdated (March 2021). The fare is R$4 (March 2021) and can be payed in the bus resp. at an rodoviaria. Changing a bus at one of the rodoviarias/terminals is for free.
Use Uber for taxis.
- Aracaju Aquarium (Oceanário de Aracaju), Atalaia. 5 fresh water tanks and 11 salt water tanks with fish from the coast of Sergipe. Shark feeding at 4:30PM.
- Aracaju Zoological Park.
- Atalaia Shoreline (Orla de Atalaia) (9 kilometers from the city center). Aracaju's most famous beach area, 6 kilometers long, has the best concentration of hotels and restaurants.
- Igreja de Santo Antônio.
- Olímpio Campos Palace (Palácio Olímpio Campos).
- Anthropology Museum (Museu de Antropologia).
- Handcrafts Museum, Museu do Artesanato.
- Museum of the Sergipana People (Museu da Gente Sergipana).
- Museum of the Sergipano Man (Museu do Homem Sergipano).
- Museum of the Sergipe Historical and Geographical Institute (Museu do Instituto Histórico e Geográfico de Sergipe).
- Rosa Faria Art and History Museum (Museu de Arte e História Rosa Faria).
- Sergipe Memorial Museum, Museu Memorial de Sergipe.
- War Art Museum of the Sergipe Military Police (Museu de Arte Bélica da Polícia Militar de Sergipe).
The Atalaia beach was never highly rated for its natural beauty, but for an urban Brazilian beach it does the trick. Plastic chairs in the sand for having beer and coconut are near Avenida Rotary. A major refurbishing of the beachfront avenue, including its pavement, has made it a delightful walk at nighttime. Apart from bars and restaurants by the dozens, there are a couple of clusters of bronze statues, a go-kart track, a large playground and an aquarium. http://www.tamar.org.br/centros_visitantes.php?cod=10
There are no Bradesco banks where Google Maps shows them in Atalaia. The nearest one is in Av.Min.Geraldo B.Sobral,1700 near Shopping Jardins.
You can buy contact lenses for a good price in the Oftclin shop in the Jardins shopping center. One package with six standard monthly Air Optix Aqua contact lenses for R$ 150 (March 2021). Avoid the numerous opticians in the city center. They charge almost double the price.
Crabs are the typical dish, often eaten with a good and cold beer. You also have good fishes, fried or cooked as moqueca.
- 1 Bar do Caldinho Santa Rita, Av. Santos Dumont, 340.
- 2 Britto's Restaurante, R. Napoleão Dórea, 388 - Casa 03.
- 3 Restaurante Beach, Av. Santos Dumont, 372.
The first three restaurants are right next to each other:
- 4 O Papai, R. Santo Amaro, 307.
- 5 Ki Delícia Restaurante, R. Santo Amaro, 321.
- 6 Tony's Restaurante, R. Santo Amaro, 333.
- 7 Sesc - Comércio, Av. Otoniel Dória, 464.
- 8 Ruan, R. Laranjeiras, 349.
- 9 Restaurante Real Sabor, R. Laranjeiras, 401.
- 10 Casa Aho, R. Francisco Rabêlo Leite Neto, 320, Atalaia.
- 11 Terra Tupi, Av. Santos Dumont, 610, Atalaia.
- 12 Porto Madero, Av. Santos Dumont, 650 - Atalaia.
- 13 República dos Camarões, Av. Santos Dumont, 1750 - Coroa do Meio.
- 14 Carro de Bois, R. Niceu Dantas, 1040 - Atalaia.
- 15 Sal e Brasa Steakhouse, Av. Santos Dumont, s/n - Coroa do Meio.
Most tourists will choose the beach at Atalaia, some 5 km from the center. The most convenient spot for transport is the intersection between Avenida Rotary (leading to the airport and downtown, with an urban bus terminal 500 metres from the beach) and the beachfront Avenida Santos Dumont. Plenty of options within a couple of blocks here. For more upscale sleeping, head north along the beach.
- Romania, Rua Santissima Trindade, 27 49 007-063, Zona de Expansao – Areia Branca, ☏ , email@example.com. Honorary Consulate (Does not provide consular services. Instead, Romanian citizens in need of assistance should contact the embassy in Brasilia, or the general consulate in Rio de Janeiro.)
- To the south, at the border with the state of Bahia, is Mangue Seco, an easy day trip.
- Inland is the artificial lake of the river Xingo.
|Routes through Aracaju|
|Recife ← Maceió ←||N S||→ Cachoeira → Vitória|