Aridea is the third largest settlement in Pella regional unit, after Edessa (2nd, also the capital), and Giannitsa (1st). It is built in a large plateau, called "Almopia" (Αλμωπία). Its name is a portmeau of "Άλμα+όψη" (Jump+view), as its ancient citizens were thought to be a tribe of giants. Generally, its economy largely relies on agriculture (mainly alfalfa, asparagus, clovers, poplar and stone fruits such as peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots and cherries, as well as pears, quinces and potatoes in the Archangelos village). Tourism is mainly focused on the nearby Pozar Springs. Aridea's nickname is the "Karatzova" (Καρατζόβα), which means "black plateau" in Turkish. It's unknown why it was named so. Its population includes ethnic Macedonians, Vlachs, Moglens, Pontic Greeks, Karamanlides, and people of mixed ethnic heritage. Some citizens are also half-locals and half-refugees from Asia Minor and Pontus.
About 1½ hours by car from Thessaloniki. You can get here through the National Road 2 from Thessaloniki to Mavrovouni, then the Pella Provincial Road 2 to Apsalos, and the Pella Provincial Road 1 to Aridea
There are 5 provincial roads to connect you to the nearby settlements and monuments.
1. Edessa- Apsalos - Aridea. (Pella 1)
2. Aridea - Exaplatanos to Skra and Axioupolis Evropos Notia and Lagadia. (Pella 6)
3. Aridea - Pozar Baths. (Pella 7)
4. Aridea - Tsakona - Polykarpi. (Pella 8)
5. Aridea - Sosandra - Promachos. (Pella 9)
- 1 Voras Mountains. The tallest peak in the range is Kaimakchalan at 2,524 m (8,281 ft). Adjacent peaks are Starkov grob (1,876 m) and Dobro Pole (1,700 m). The mountain range hosts a ski resort and the hot springs at Loutra Loutrakiou (Pozar) on the Greek side.
A ride on the town is also a good idea. There is a square called the "Setskou Square", near the Church of St. Nikandros, (You can recognize it from the large clock on the bell tower.), the Natural History museum which operates on the old train station and a pedestrian road called the "Kyprou Street.", surrounded with pubs, bars and restaurants. Notable examples include Placebo and Aeriko.
Some villages are officially preserved traditional settlements, and are worth visiting. These include:
- Garefi. The village is known for the cultivation of pepper, of the Karatzovitiki type, and produces sweet smoked pepper and bukovo. The village organizes a festival of Karatzovite Peppers
- Archangelos: The village belongs to the Vlachomoglenite villages and is the largest of them. Its inhabitants are engaged in agriculture, and especially in the production of cherries, chestnuts and potatoes
- Aetochori: It has been characterized as a traditional mountain settlement. An attraction of the village is the old church of Agios Dimitrios, with its high four-story bell tower with a height of 15 meters.
- 1 Pozar thermal springs (Aridea thermal springs / Λουτρά Πόζαρ), Loutraki Aridaias Pella (10 km from Aridea). They have impressive natural beauty and thermal waters. 48 individual baths, 6 indoor pools, the outdoor pool (12x25m) hamams, jacuzzi and spa services. Recommended for rheumatic, dermatological, gynecological, and respiratory and circulatory system conditions. The spa village is known for it's outdoor swimming pool with a warm and a cold waterfall next to each other.
- 2 Voras (Kaimaktsalan). Ski resort right across the border with North Macedonia
Some of the hotels and hostels also have swimming pools that allow non-customers
Almoopia's historic trademark product was the Karatzovitiko pepper made from Florina peppers, but also a local variety of sweet or semi-hot peppers, the "Bahovo" variety grown in the villages of Garefi and Promachoi, but now it's almost extinct and most growers in the area grow this variety only on personal gardens for themselves, but it's also likely to find them in a local grocery store.). Local beans are also popular. They are kidney-shaped and perfect for dishes such as fasolada. Bukovo and paprika are also produced. Of course, you can try the local fruits and vegetables, such as asparangus, fruits of the Prunus genus, chestnuts, walnuts and potatoes; the latter grown mainly in a village called Archangelos.
The villages of Loutraki and Orma, both close to Pozar have some good restaurants. The town has nearly all kind of restaurants.
- 1 4 Epoxes Hotel Spa, Loutraki Aridaias Pella, ☏ , fax: . 60€.
- Kerasia Chalet, Kerasia Pella, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Kerasia chalet is a hotel in Kaimaktsalan,situated in Kerasia village of Pella perfecture. It is just 16 km away from the famous Loutra Pozar and 17 km away from Edessa town. Rates from 40€
- Philippion Hotel, Loutraki Aridaias Pella, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Philippion hotel is situated in Loutraki Aridaias, just 3 km away from the famous Loutra Pozar. It has 18 rooms which are properly equipped for comfortable stay. 60€ best available rate
- 2 Gaia Kaimaktsalan Hotel, Loutraki Aridaias Pella 58400, ☏ , . Gaia Kaimaktsalan Hotel & Spa Resort is located at a distance of 7 km from the town of Aridaia and just 2 km from the mineral baths of Pozar and is certainly one of the best Pozar Hotels.
- 3 Guesthouse Rodavgi, Káto Loutrákion. 4 rooms with refrigerator, kitchen/kitchenette, coffee/tea maker, TV, en suite, private bathroom, private toilet. From €30.
- 4 Kallinikos Guesthouse, Loutraki, ☏ , email@example.com. refrigerator, a kitchenette and an in-room dining area. Amenities featured in the rooms include a hair dryer, complimentary toiletries and a flat-screen TV. From €34.
- 5 Hotel Eliton & Spa Resort, ☏ . fitness centre, a spa & wellness centre, a steam bath and a sauna, restaurant, pet friendly, disabled access, bar/lounge, air conditioned, refrigerator, cable/satellite TV, kitchen/kitchenette, en suite, private bathroom, private toilet, Swimming pool. From €55.
- 6 Pozar Pallas Salt Cave Hotel, Loutraki Aridaia Pella, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Mini bar, cable/satellite TV, kitchen/kitchenette, bathrobes, en suite, private bathroom, private toilet. From €56.
- Edessa waterfalls