ScotRail run four trains a day (two on Sunday) from Glasgow Queen Street via Arisaig to Mallaig. (These trains split at Crianlarich, with part of them going to Oban, so you need to be in the right section.) The last train south is around 18:30 to reach Queen Street by midnight.
In summer West Coast Railways run The Jacobite steam train twice a day between Fort William and Mallaig, a six-hour excursion. These trains call by request at Arisaig: so you could either have two hours here going back on the same train, or six hours (maybe time for a boat trip) by coming in the morning and returning on the afternoon excursion.
Shiel Bus 500 runs between Fort William and Mallaig stopping at Arisaig, four times per day Monday to Friday and once on Saturday and Sunday. Bus 501 also runs between Arisaig and Mallaig three times a day.
Arisaig is just off the A830, the 'Road to the Isles'. This runs west from the A82 at Fort William. Much of the A830 has been improved, so is fairly quick driving, though there are still a few tight bends.
- 1 The Land, Sea and Island Centre, ☎ . Displays about the social and natural history of the area.
- 2 The Prince's Cairn (next to the A830 road, near Beasdale). A cairn on the shore of Loch nan Uamh, This marks the spot where Bonnie Prince Charlie departed for France in 1746, following the failure of the Jacobite rising.
- 3 Loch nan Uamh Viaduct. A concrete viaduct, carrying the railway past the head of the loch. It was built between 1897 and 1901. Reportedly a horse and cart fell into a bridge support during construction, and was buried whole. Though it is not quite as big as Glenfinnan Viaduct, it is still an impressive structure. Worth looking out for 'The Jacobite' steam train, which crosses regularly.
- 1 Beasdale railway station, off the A830, near Druimindarroch, PH39 4NR (to the south of Arisaig on the Mallaig Extension Railway (now part of the West Highland Line)). It was built as a private convenience for a nearby house and was used during World War II as the station where SOE agents practised boarding and alighting moving trains. (The whole peninsuala area up to Mallaig was used as a training ground for the Executive's "Toughening Schools", where paramilitary skills were taught to potential agents.) The station building is privately owned after having been restored, but the platform is still in use as a request stop. It is frequented by hikers exploring the surrounding hills and wild coastline.
- 1 Spar, The Harbour, PH39 4NH. Small grocery store and post office.
- The Old Library. A nice lodge and restaurant over looking the Small Isles. They have been updating all the rooms in the hotel and have done a really nice job. The restaurant offers nice meals using local produce
A trip into nearby Mallaig might offer some good / better options.
- B&B Mrs MacDonald, 8 Clanranald Place, ☎ . Just off the main street nice clean B&B and hearty breakfast.
- 1 Sunnyside Croft Touring Site, PH39 4NT (3km north of Arisaig, off the B8008), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Pitches for camper vans, caravans and tents.
- The very pretty Small Isles are reached by a pedestrian ferry from Arisaig. An excursion to Eigg is a pleasant way to spend a day.