- From Mallaig: ferries operated by CalMac run to and between the islands most days, and more frequently in summer.
- From Arisaig: the MV Sheerwater, a small but comfortable foot passenger ferry with indoor and outdoor seating and a small tuck shop, operated by Arisaig Marine, runs daily from May to September to Eigg, Muck or Rum.
Visitors are not allowed to bring cars to the islands. There are a few local cars on the islands.
Walking or cycling are the best ways of getting around, bikes may be available for hire locally.
As the islands all have very small populations, the most inhabited being Eigg with a population of 105, there are no major villages.
- Kinloch Castle, on Rum. Incredible late Victorian castle / country house.
- Birdwatching. All the islands provide good opportunities for birdwatching
- Walking. Rum offers the most serous hillwalking including the Corbetts of the Rum Cuillin, which rise to 812m. On Eigg, An Sgurr is a pleasant climb.