Assens is a town in western Fyn with approximately 6,000 inhabitants (41,000 in the local council area, Assens Kommune, of which Assens is capital).
The town was the main ferry point for goods and postal services between Copenhagen and Hamburg, given its position between these two cities. The postal route through Assens terminated with the opening of the Little Belt Bridge in 1935 between Middelfart and Jutland. The route, however, gives the town an important role in Danish and Funish history with a quaint town centre. Its distance from any main population centre (Odense 38 km., Svendborg 43 km.) gives the town a busy commercial status.
Bus 110, 132, 151 and 152 serve Assens directly from Odense M-F several times an hour during the day, Sa Su hourly. Bus 825 serves Assens from Middelfart M-F approximately 6 times a day.
The Bågø Ferry serves Assens from the small island of Bågø.
Between April and October it is possible to rent a rail cycle from the mainline junction on the Copenhagen - Jutland line in Tommerup and cycle the 30 km. on the disused Tommerup - Assens branch line.
There is a local bus service (260) which operates between Assens and Helnæs. All areas of Assens, however, are completely accessible by foot, bike or car.
- 1 Ernsts Samlinger, Østergade 57, ☏ . Silverware DKK 60.
- 2 Willemoesgården, Østergade 36-38.
- 3 Toldbodhus, Ndr. Havnevej 19.
- Galleri Sulegaarden.
- 4 Vor Frue Kirke, the second biggest church on Funen..
- Fangehullet ved Hagenskov.
- 5 Helnæs (SE of Assens). Island
- 6 Assens Miniby, Ramsherred 52. 09:00-19:00, Winter M-We 08:00-11:00. Miniature of the city DKK 20.
- 1 Maagen Grill, Næsvej 23.
- 2 Cafe Banken, Østergade 16, ☏ . M-F 12:00-21:00; SaSu 10:00-21:00. Stylish cafe in former bank. Outdoor serving both on the square and the back yard. Kr 100.
For its size, Assens boasts numerous watering holes. In order of descending popularity, they are:
- 1 [dead link] Havana Club, Strandgade 16. Nightclub with a young faithful crowd on Fridays and Saturdays. Very big crowds on the 23 December when most of the expatriate community from around Denmark turn homeward.
- 2 Færgegården, Strandgade 13, ☏ . A local bodega style bar with dancing on Fridays and Saturdays. Great atmospehere most weekends. Crowds arrive late and drink late. Smoking allowed
- O'Neill's Irish Pub, Torvet, Østergade (On the main square in Assens you will find a themed Irish pub). The barman is English, however. Quiz nights, live sports, live music and dancing occurs regularly and give this watering hole a very authentic, yet local atmosphere.
- 3 Raadhuspubben, Torvet, Østergade. An old bank has been turned into a bar. Very quiet atmosphere, but with beautiful decoration and an underground safe turned into a toilet, do not miss out on this place.
- Restaurant Vestfyn, Østergade 84. Heavy drinkers tend to enjoy this spot. Great 'old school' deco and friendly staff offer a great start to a pubcrawl through town