Svendborg is a city on the southern coast of Funen. With around 27.000 citizens, it is the island's second largest city after Odense. Svendborg is home to the Naturama museum. It is the gateway to the South Funen Archipelago, with National Road 9 (Primærrute 9) leading to islands Tåsinge and Langeland, and ferries to Ærø and other islands.
Svendborg is reachable by National Road 9 (Primærrute 9). It branches off the main highway (E20) across Funen south of Odense, which is about a 25 minute drive. The Fynbus' regional bus lines; 121, 162 and 163 mainly uses local roads and takes about 1½ hours. Trains  are faster and the locals' preferred choice, which takes 42 minutes from Odense. If you are travelling from Copenhagen, you might want to consider switching to a bus in Nyborg instead, as this might be faster, depending on how long the stopover is.
Svendborg harbour is open to both leisure sailors and commercial ferry traffic, and routes out of Svendborg go to Ærøskøbing on Ærø and to several small islands in the South Funen archipelago. All ferries depart from the ferry terminal at Havnepladsen square.
- 2 Ærøskøbing (Ærøfærgerne), Vestergade 1A, Ærøskøbing, ☏ . 05:55-20:55. Passengers: 104 DKK, Cars: 227 DKK.
- 3 Skarø & Drejø (Rederiet Højestene), Havnepladsen 2, ☏ . 6.15-16.05. Passengers: 85 DKK, Cars: 170 DKK.
- 4 Hjortø (Hjortøboen), Pejdenordet 11, Hjortø, ☏ . 08:10-14:30. Twice daily.
- 1 Naturama, Dronningemaen 30, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Museum with stuffed (real) animals. DKK90, free for people under 18.
- 2 Danish Welfaremuseum (Danmarks Forsorgsmuseum), Grubbemøllevej 13, ☏ . Documents the history of poverty and welfare in Denmark. DKK 37.50.
- 3 The Danish Yachting Museum (Danmarks Museum for Lystsejlads), Frederiksø 2, ☏ . Yachting museum and workshop. free, donations appreciated.
- 1 Svendborg Cykeludlejning, Frederiksø 18F, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. June-August 9-14, closed mondays. Bike rentals right on the harbour in Svendborg, in cooperation with the tourist information desk. 150 DKK first day then 75 DKK/day.
- International Clown Festival. Svendborg has hosted an International Clown Festival for over a decade. For a week in mid May the town is full of exciting street performances. There is also a grand parade and a theatre gala show which is well worth trying to get tickets for. Clowns from all over the world gather the festival and perform around the town in various venues throughout the week as well as in the streets.
Svendborg is located at the beautiful Svendborg Sound, and is a good starting point to explore the Sydfynske Øhav archipelago. Several ferries connect to some of the islands from Svendborg, and there are also some pretty veteran tour boats to take you on short cruises in the area.
- 2 M/S Helge (Tour boat), Jessens Mole 6, ☏ . 16/5-13/9 9-17.30. 1 hour tour to Valdemar Slot (pictured) or a 2 hour return trip, also available for charter. 25-70 DKK.
- 3 Maritimt Center Danmark, Havnepladsen 2, ☏ . Does cruises around the archipelago south of the city, in beautiful old wooden ships during the summer (June-August) mainly in the weekends, but you can be lucky to catch a tour on other days, reservations is recommended. Also charters old sail ships to groups of more than 20 people. 150-250 DKK.
- 4 Nicus Nature (Sea Kayak rentals), Vindebyørevej 31b, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sea kayak rentals and guided tours in the archipelago. 300/450 DKK 3 hours/day.
- 1 Bistro Gourmand, Kogtvedvænget 3, 5700 Svendborg, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 07AM - 10PM. French inspired menu with ingredients from the Island of Vejrø, Fyn and the rest of the world. You will find wines from both large and small producers, mainly from France and Italy.
- 2 Restaurant Ærø, Brogade 1-3, ☏ . Traditional local food. Has a big patio area on the west side towards the harbour. DKK 250.
- 3 Svendborgsund (At the harbour), ☏ . 11:00-23:00. Very traditional local food. Popular in the summer. DKK 200.
- 4 KOK (At Svendborg Theater opposite the city hall.), ☏ . 11:00-21:00, closed Su and public holidays. Small but good menu list at reasonable prices. On a warm summer day sit outside under the plane tree.
- 1 Stella Maris - Hotel de Luxe, Kogtvedvænget 3, 5700 Svendborg, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Stella Maris Hotel de Luxe is a luxurious experience located directly on the waters edge in Svendborg. 36 luxury rooms, meeting rooms, bar, terrace, wine cellar, farm shop & bistro gourmand.
- 2 Hotel Svendborg, Centrumpladsen 1 (From the station walk 450 meter east.), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Best Western hotel on a very centrol location.
- 5 Valdemars Castle, Slotsalléen 100, Troense (5 km out on the island of Tåsinge). May to September. Beautiful late baroque palace from 1639. Adult: DKK 85.