Langeland is an island in the South Funen Archipelago in southern Denmark, 50 kilometres from north to south, and home to about 12,000 people (2018). The island produces grain and is known as a recreational and wellness tourism area.
Towns and villages
- 1 Rudkøbing. The main town, with about 4500 inhabitants. Nice old town centre with small streets.
- Spodsbjerg. A ferry harbour and beach on the east coast. Connected by ferry to Lolland.
- 2 Bagenkop.
It takes around 30 minutes by bus from Svendborg to Rudkøbing with Fynbus lines 911-914 (912 stops at the ferry terminal). They leave around every 30 minutes during peak hours, and every hour in the evening.
- 1 Langelandslinjen Spodsbjerg-Tårs. Connects Langeland with Lolland 260 kr for a car.
- 2 Strynøfærgen. Connects Langeland with the small island Strynø 80 kr per passenger, 150 kr per car.
The port in Rudkøbing is open to both leisure sailors and commercial traffic, and there are regular ferries to Strynø and Marstal on Ærø. Look for Havnepladsen, 5900 Rudkøbing on your GPS if it doesn't include the harbour. Many buses stops at the ferry terminal as well.
- Strynø (Strynø-Rudkøbing Færgefart), Kirkestrædet 1, Strynø, ☏ . 05:20-17:25. Passengers 70 kr, cars 140 kr.
- Marstal (Ærøfærgerne), Vestergade 1A, Ærøskøbing, ☏ . 05:50-16:20. Passengers 104 kr, cars 227 kr.
Fynbus includes regional bus schedules and a route planner.
- 1 Langelandsfortet, Vognsbjergvej 4 B, 5935 Bagenkop, ☏ . Apr-Oct 10:00-16:00, May-Aug 10:00-17:00. Cold war museum in 1952 naval defense fortress. 95 kr.
- 2 Tranekær Gods, Slotsgade 86, Tranekær, ☏ . The castle have 10 guided tours in Jun-Jul, but you can also stroll the parks.
- De Langelandske Kunsttårne. 12 tiny transformer station towers now used for art exhibitions.
- 3 Humble. Small town midway south
- 4 Bagenkop. Small harbourtown in the southend.
- 5 Lohals. Small harbourtown in the northend
- 6 Tranekær. Small villageplace around beautiful castle. The park can be visited, the castle not.
- 7 [dead link] Lejbøllegård, Lejbøllegårdvej 23 (at Lejbølle, north of Tranekær). Easter-Oct: W-Sa: 12:00-16:00, Su 10:00-16:00; Nov-Easter: Sa-Su:10:00-16:00. Collection of books in old farmhouse decorated by Daniel Weech
- 8 Kong Humbles Grav (Tomb of King Humble) (in a field near the village Kædeby, north of the town of Humble). A long barrow, about 4000 years old. According to legend, it is the burial place of King Humble, who is mentioned in the medieval chronicle Gesta Danorum as being the second king of Denmark.
- 1 Visit the wild Exmoor ponies (at the very south of Langeland, Dovnsgården has a poster).
- Mjølner (Museumship), Jens Winthersvej 12, Rudkøbing, ☏ , email@example.com. An old wooden sail ship that does a few open day-cruises during the summer, and is also available for charter.
- [formerly dead link] Lapletten (Bike rental), Engdraget 1, Rudkøbing, ☏ .
- 1 Generalen, Slotsgade 84, Tranekær (at Tranekær castle), ☏ . May-Sep 27: 11:00-23:00. 200 kr main courses.
- 2 Tranekær Slotskro, Slotsgade 74, Tranekær, ☏ .
- 3 Kædeby Caféen, ☏ . W-Sa 15:00- ; Su 12:00-. 220 kr menu.
- 4 Bagenkop Kro, Østergade 15, Bagenkop, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Steaks and seafood. Has a nice terrace. Lunch 100 kr, dinner 200 kr.
- Tranekær Slotskro, Slotsgade 74,Tranekær, ☏ , email@example.com. A mansion turned hotel.
- 1 Skrøbelev Gods (Skrøbelev Manor), Skrøbelev Hedevej 4, Rudkøbing, ☏ . from 1700 kr.
- Feriepark Langeland (Emmerbølle Camping), Emmerbøllevej 24, Tranekær, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A waterfront camping and cabin site with a large pool. Suitable for children.