Although the name Atsugi is also synonymous with the name of the United States Navy Base, the base is actually in the neighboring communities of Ayase and Yamato.
As a major commuter town, Atsugi has direct limousine bus links to both Haneda and Narita airports, which may be easier compared to a combination of trains. Buses are operated by Kanagawa Chuo Kotsu and partner companies.
- Seven daily return trips to/from Narita Airport (2 hr 15 min from Terminal 1, ¥3650).
- Twelve daily return trips to/from Haneda Airport (1 hr 15 min from International Terminal/Terminal 3, ¥1600).
To reach Atsugi by train from Narita Airport, travel into Shinjuku and change to the Odakyu Railway (see below). From Haneda, you can reach Atsugi in about 80 min by taking the Keikyu Line Airport Express to Yokohama, the Sotetsu Line to Ebina, and finally the Odakyu Railway (¥790).
The main train station is Hon-Atsugi (本厚木駅), situated on the Odakyu Railway between Tokyo and Odawara. Commuter trains from Shinjuku take 50-60 min and cost ¥510. From Odawara, a stop on the Tokaido Shinkansen, local Odakyu trains take about 40 min and cost ¥470. The limited express Romancecar trains with reserved seating stop at Hon-Atsugi 1-2 times per hour, shaving some time off the journey but requiring an additional surcharge of ¥570 and ¥520 respectively.
Atsugi is served by Atsugi Interchange on the Tomei Expressway. There is also expressway access to the south at Atsugi-Minami Interchange, on the section of the Shin-Tomei Expressway that links the Tomei and Ken-Ō Expressways.
- 1 Atsugi Iiyama Onsen (あつぎ飯山温泉), Iiyama 4916, ☏ .
- 2 Nanasawa Onsen Ryokan Fukumatsu, Nanasawa 1751, ☏ .
- 3 Mount Ōyama (大山), Nanasawa. An easy day hike.
- 1 Rembrandt Hotel, 2-13-1 Nakamachi, Atsugi city, Kanagawa (5 minutes walking from Atsugi station), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. This is the only tourist hotel in Atsugi. There are 164 rooms, all with LAN. There are Japanese and Chinese restaurants and café dining. In 2007, the name was changed from Atsugi royal Park Hotel to Loisir, and later to Rembrandt
|Routes through Atsugi|
|Odawara ← Hadano ←||W E||→ Sagami Ono → Shimokitazawa → Shinjyuku|
|Shizuoka ← Gotemba ←||W E||→ Yokohama-Machida → Tokyo|
|Ōme ← MtTakao ← Sagamihara ←||N S||→ Ebina → Chigasaki|
|Odawara ← Hiratsuka ←||W E||→ into|