Augusta Raurica is probably the best preserved Roman city North of the Alps. It is nestled inside the greater Basel urban area, in Switzerland and has been transformed into an open-air museum. In summer each year it houses Römerfest (the Roman festival), an educational and entertainment event which can be fun both for kids and grown-ups. It is located next (and partially within) the towns of Augst and Kaiseraugst.
Its extraordinary state of preservation is because, unlike most other town sites, once the Romans abandoned this site, no others built upon it - neither in the "Dark Ages", nor subsequently.
The nearby village of Kaiseraugst, which takes its name from the site, has a train station. Take S1 from Basel. The museum and the main sights are around 15 minutes walk away from the railway station.
The whole site is rather compact, so it is convenient to get around on foot.
- 1 Roman Theater. A well-preserved theatre, the house for some activities of the Römerfest.
- 2 Roman Amphitheater (Take the S1 train from Basel SBB, Frick or Rheinfelden to Kaiseraugst (NOT “Salina Raurica”), 15-minute walk. Rail Timetable. By bus, take the 81 line from Basel-Aeschenplatz or from Liestal to the Augst bus stop, then a similar 15-minute hike Bus Timetable), ☎ . Daily 10:00–17:00. Closed on 24th, 25th, 31st December and 1st January. Free entry.
- 3 Augusta Raurica Museum. Daily 10:00–17:00 Closed on 24th, 25th, 31st December and 1st January.. An informative exhibition based on the local archaeological findings from the Ancient Roman period, which are plenty. Wheelchair accessible with assistance. Adults Fr. 8, children/adolescents (6 –17 years) & students Fr. 6 (includes admission to the Roman House).
- 4 Hypocaust. An excavated system of underfloor heating of a luxurious Roman house.
- Roman festival (Römerfest). The largest Roman festival in Switzerland. Takes place during the lest weekend of August. Fr. 18.
- 1 Rôtisserie Raurica, Dorfstrasse 32, Kaiseraugst, ☎ . Tu-F 11:30-14:30, Tu-Sa 18:00-24:00. Mostly meat-based dishes.
There are only a few options nearby in Augst or Kaiseraugst, so it might be worth to consider a day trip from Basel instead.
- 1 Cedro Römerhof (http://www.cedro.ch), Giebenacherstrasse 31, Augst, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Simple Hotel near the archaeological site. From Fr. 90.