The Austral Islands of French Polynesia consist of the Tubuai Islands and the Bass Islands.
The Tubuai Islands are the northwesternmost part of the Austral Islands, and they consist of:
- 1 Iles Maria — an uninhabited atoll.
- 2 Raivavae — (900 pop.), considered one of the most beautiful islands in the world.
- 3 Rimatara — (750 p), the smallest by land area.
- 4 Rurutu — (2,000 p), the second largest of the Austral Islands, with some interesting maraes.
- 5 Tubuai — (2,000 p), the main island of the Australs, with the main airport.
The Bass Islands are southeast of the Tubuai Islands, and they consist of:
The Austral Islands are the southernmost group in French Polynesia.