- 1 Asturias airport (OVD IATA). There are flights every couple of hours from Madrid, and at least daily from Barcelona, Seville, and Palma de Mallorca. International flights are rare, eg the Easyjet connection to London has ended. The airport is on the coast 10 km west of Avilés, with direct buses to Oviedo and to Gijón.
The main bus company, Alsa, connects the city to all the provinces and most important cities in the country. There are buses every 30 minutes from downtown to Oviedo and Gijón.
There are two railway systems. RENFE is the standard gauge mainline to Oviedo, with trains south to Leon, Valladolid, Segovia and Madrid. FEVE is the narrow gauge railway (now managed by Renfe) that winds along the coast, west to Ribadeo and Ferrol, east to Oviedo, Gijón, Santander, Bilbao, San Sebastian, and the French border at Irun / Hendaye. Disruptions and replacement buses are common along this line.
- 2 Avilés railway station. Serves both systems; it's on Avenida Telares near the river.
- Historical District
- 1 Hotel Oca Villa de Avilés, Calle del Prado, 3, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel NH Collection Palacio de Avilés, Plaza de España, 9, ☏ . Located in the heart of Avilés, in Plaza de España next to the Town Hall, the hotel occupies a landmark a seventeenth century building.
- Oviedo is another old town with various UNESCO-listed monuments.
- Gijón is a lively coastal town with a Roman archeological site.