Bad Hersfeld is a town in in North Hesse that Hersfeld is known across Germany for the Bad Hersfelder Festspiele (festival). The festival has taken place each year since 1951 at the ruins of a monastery which are said to be Europe's biggest Romanesque church ruin.
Bad Hersfeld is a rather old, mid-sized town with roughly 30,000 inhabitants (2018) that was around during the times of Charlemagne. The word "Bad" in the name means that it is an officially acknowledged spa and has been since 1949. As Bad Hersfeld is roughly in the centre of the reunified Germany several companies like Amazon have decided to have delivery centres here.
Despite its rather small size, there are direct ICE trains that stop at this city's train station with connections from Frankfurt, Fulda, Eisenach, Erfurt, Weimar, Leipzig, Berlin and Dresden. Regional trains from Kassel, Bebra, Fulda and Göttingen.
The A4, A5 and A7 intersect just west of the town.
The town is quite walkable.
- 1 Hersfeld Abbey (Reichsabtei Hersfeld). ruins of Benedictine imperial abbey
- Küsterhaus (sexton’s house). the town’s oldest timber-frame house, built in 1452.
- Bad Hersfelder Festspiele: 5 July – 31 August 2019. Theatrical pieces and musicals are performed on a large stage in the ruins of the abbey. (date needs updating)
As well as the restaurant in "Zum Stern" and gourmet restaurant L'Étable; and Parkrestaurant und Tiroler Stube in the hotels listed in the sleep section.
- 1 News Cafe, Linggplatz 17, ☏ . Restaurant and cafe.
- 2 Göbels Schlosshotel "Prinz von Hessen", Schlossplatz 1, Friedewald, ☏ .
- 3 [dead link] Ristorante Italiano Garda, Am Neumarkt 2, ☏ .
- 1 Hotel am Kurpark, Am Kurpark 19-21, ☏ . Parkrestaurant und Tiroler Stube.
- 2 Haus am Park, Am Hopfengarten 2, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Thermalis, Am Kurpark 10, ☏ .
- 4 Romantik-Hotel "Zum Stern", Linggplatz 11, ☏ . Restaurant in "Zum Stern" and Gourmet-Restaurant L'Étable
- 5 [dead link] Hotel am Klausturm, Friedloser Straße 1, ☏ .
- 6 Stadt-Hotel, Am Perfort 9, ☏ .
- Eisenach with the Wartburg is not too far away, though the roads have suffered from being severed during the German partition
|Routes through Bad Hersfeld|
|Frankfurt ← Fulda ←||Frankfurt Dresden||→ Eisenach → Erfurt|