Bad Honnef is a spa town in the end of the Middle Rhine Valley in Germany's North Rhine-Westphalia state between Königswinter and Linz an Rhein. To the north it lies on the slopes of the Drachenfels mountain (Dragons's Rock), part of the Siebengebirge.
- 1 Bad Honnef station.
The nearest bigger railway stations to Bad Honnef are in Bonn, Cologne and Siegburg, but Bad Honnef also has its own railway station. It can by reached from Cologne by a regional train going to Koblenz. But make sure that your train is travelling on the right side of the Rhine, not via Bonn Hbf on the left, and that your train stops in Bad Honnef.
By Regionalbahn or Stadtbahn
From these stations you have to travel by Regionalbahn, Regional-Express or Stadtbahn. Long distance trains end im Bad Honnef. From Siegburg or Bonn you take the tram 66.
You need a train going to Königswinter or Bad Honnef. From Cologne you can either take a Regional-Express or S-Bahn to Siegburg or Bonn or take the Stadtbahn that is directly going to Bad Honnef. Mostly, these are trains from Cologne to Koblenz but only those on the Rhine's right side. You must look for trains passing Deutz, (the airport of Cologne), Troisdorf and Bonn-Beuel. Trains travelling to Koblenz via Bonn Hbf and Remagen won't bring you here.
By boat, you can reach Bad Honnef with the tourist boats on the Rhine and by ferry from Rolandseck, but this is not useful only if you live in Bonn.
- 1 Rheininsel Grafenwerth (Island Grafenwerth).
- 2 Stiftung Bundeskanzler-Adenauer-Haus.
- 3 Siebengebirge. many nice places in the forests and many wonderful views on the Rhine valley.
- Rheinsteig. Walk part of this long distance trail
- 1 Jugendherberge Bad Honnef, Selhofer Str. 106, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Restaurant Domblick, Rottbitzer Strasse 81 (On A3 (Bergbereich) autobahn exit), ☏ , fax: .
- 3 Tagungshotel Seminaris, Alexander-von-Humboldt-Straße 20, ☏ .
- 4 Hotel am Markt, Aegidiusplatz 1, Aegidienberg, ☏ .
- Bonn – Is a half hour Stadtbahn ride from Königswinter.
- Cologne – Is easy to get to by train from Königswinter's train station.
- Middle Rhine Valley
- Unkel is a town several minutes by Regional-Bahn from Bad Honnef. The town is noted for its charm, river boat cruises, and as being home to two German chancellors after World War II.
- Linz am Rhein
- Koblenz – Is easily accessible from Königswinter, however, the ride is a bit long by train.