Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is a combined-town in Rhineland-Palatinate. As the name suggests, it is made up of two towns: the spa town of Bad Neuenahr, and the picturesque old town of Ahrweiler. Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is one of the largest towns in the red-wine producing Ahr Valley.
The town is accessible by a local stopping service (Regional Bahn) which runs along the Ahr Valley, connecting it with Bonn and Remagen. There are three stations, depending on which bit you want to visit: Bad Neuenahr in Bad Neuenahr, and Ahrweiler & Ahrweiler-Markt in Ahrweiler.
Exits 30 and 31 of the A61.
The towns are small enough to see on foot, and it's a pleasant 40-minute walk along the river from the centre of one to the other. Alternatively, a bike path runs along the river or there are buses.
- Beethoven House (Beethovenhaus), Mittelstraße 4. where Beethoven used to stay for summer holidays.
- 1 Apollinaris spring (Apollinarisbrunnen).
- Walk in the hills among the vineyards; try a section of the Red Wine Walking Route (Rotweinwanderweg).
- Relax in the heated pools of the thermal baths
- Explore Ahrweiler's medieval streets
- Visit the excavated Roman villa near Ahrweiler
- Zwiebelkuchen ("onion cake") is a speciality of wine-growing areas and is the perfect accompaniment to Federweißer (see below)
- 1 Weingut Försterhof, Im Teufenbach 65, ☏ . Novel architecture
- 2 Brogsitter's Sanct Peter, Walporzheimer Str. 134, ☏ .
The whole Ahr valley is famous for its shale vineyards, typically producing Pinot Noir (Spätburgunder, red) and Riesling (white) wines. Local varieties are available anywhere where drinks are served.
- Federweißer is a very sweet white wine made from the first grapes of the harvest. Federroter is the red equivalent.
- campsite, Kalvarienbergstraße 1 (near the old town of Ahrweiler on the opposite side of the Ahr river from the town's southern gate), ☏ .
- 1 Hotel Villa Aurora, Georg-Kreuzberg-Straße 8, ☏ .
- 2 Dorint Parkhotel Bad Neuenahr, Am Dahliengarten 1, 53474 Bad Neuenahr, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. from € 118 per room/night.